OO9

LCDR

I have responded to the N gauge suggestion request from Hornby that is running currently, but I think there is a danger of getting carried away, especially as at least two other manufacturers are already motoring ahead with N gauge. I agree Hornby really needs to expand the Arnold British outline range, but we must realise that they are a latecomer into the British N gauge market.

However one other popular gauge is currently very poorly served with Peco and Bachmann only just starting tentative steps into ready to run OO9. Narrow gauge has a lot of advantages, not least in that layouts can be accomodated into very small spaces.

I would therefore suggest Hornby seriously considers adding OO9 to its portfolio, starting small to test the market just as they have done with 'N'.

The Talyllyn would make a good point to start from, as the models would adapt themselves to TTTE Skaloey Railway if desired. It is 2' 3" gauge which is correct at 4mm to foot scale on 9mm track.

The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland are exciting prototypes, but somewhat ambitious for a first step, and of course 1mm too narrow (one for the pedants) however I would LOVE a model of a NGG16 and a Double Fairlie.

Yes indeed this could be an area for Hornby to move into. But as has been mention by LC&DR it would be more problemactic on account of the various "narrow" guages that are or have been used in the UK. Having said that of course, the standard sized "OO" track, which isn't exactly to guage as 16.5 mm guage track when multiplied up to full size works out at 4 foot 1 inch, rather than 4 foot 8 1/2 inches! So IMO OO9 should be a composite guage for the narrow gauge scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed this could be an area for Hornby to move into. But as has been mention by LC&DR it would be more problemactic on account of the various "narrow" guages that are or have been used in the UK. Having said that of course, the standard sized "OO" track, which isn't exactly to guage as 16.5 mm guage track when multiplied up to full size works out at 4 foot 1 inch, rather than 4 foot 8 1/2 inches! So IMO OO9 should be a composite guage for the narrow gauge scene.

That is pretty much what the hobby has been doing for many years. OO9 is strictly 2' 3" gauge so spot on for Corris, Talyllyn,  and Cambelltown and Machrihanish, 1mm too narrow for Welshpool and Llanfair, Sittingbourne and Kemsley, Whipsnade and Umfolosi, Pentewan, Leek and Manifold, Chattenden and Upnor, and 1mm too wide for Ffestiniog, Vale of Rheidol, Welsh Highland, Penryn, Lynton and Barnstaple, Ashover and a host of other two foot (1' 11.5") lines, including the War Department railways in WW1. Who is counting?

The Glyn Valley with a gauge of 2' 4.5" also fits in nicely, as does the Snailbeach at 2' 4".

TT gauge allows for 3' 0" gauge narrow gauge for Irish, Isle of Man and a few similar gauge lines in England in 4mm scale. At a push this can also represent any gauge between 2' 8" and 3' 6".  English 3' 0" lines included the Southwold, Ravenglass and Eskdale (before miniaturisation), Southend Pier,  and  Rye and Camber.

Narrow gauge modelling is at present the preserve of the kit and scratch builder, but with Peco now offering RTR rolling stock the probable entry of Heljan and Bachmann with RTR locomotives, this surely must be something that Hornby ought to be giving serious consideration.

Of course they could go in a completely different direction altogether and produce OO12 models with the Isle of Man or Southwold  rolling stock of 3' 0"gauge  on TT gauge track, but I think the sensible money is in OO9.

In addition to the suggestions I put in my original post, the Vale of Rheidol also strikes me as a good one to start with. It give the unique opportunity of modelling steam locomotives in BR Corporate Blue livery which would be 100% correct!

I like the idea but as has been stated above which one. so one question is if Hornby did should the follow the b teams scale or should they go there own scale say TT then that would allow the I Of M which would be marvellous the steam and there rail bussess

I would like them to go into it on their own terms.  Go TT

Yes 4mm scale.  

Certainly! Spot on Fazy!  - It only works at 4mm scale on 12mm track. That gives you an exact 3' 0" gauge model. Just right for the Isle of Man.  And those little Manx Beyer Peacocks are delightful little engines.

Predjudiced against left handed swordsmen - eh!?

Correct LC, but makes a lot of sense as you have the advantage with 4 out of 5 attackers, although not if I turn up to attack you. Then I wouldn't want his castle anyway as I'll find it difficult to fight off anyone, not just left handers, as I'm left-handed myself. I could always use the Indiana Jones method though, just pull out my pistol and shoot them.

Predjudiced against left handed swordsmen - eh!?

Correct LC, but makes a lot of sense as you have the advantage with 4 out of 5 attackers, although not if I turn up to attack you. Then I wouldn't want his castle anyway as I'll find it difficult to fight off anyone, not just left handers, as I'm left-handed myself. I could always use the Indiana Jones method though, just pull out my pistol and shoot them.

I believe Monty Python used that trick first, "How to defend yourself against a person attacking you with fruit".

• 1 month later...

Personally, I'd like to see Hornby start in OO9, and to just go ahead producing the variations (2ft, 2' 3" etc) all for n-gauge track. Honestly, I know some people are picky but frankly I'd just like to have the option of having these models.

Would people genuinely have a problem with Talyllyn and Prince being able to run on the same track? I wouldn't, for certain. And to be honest, n-gauge track is as small as I'd ever want to go even if the scale was narrow gauge OO - any smaller and it becomes too fiddly to be fun.

So personally, I'd love to see the Talyllyn, Welsh Highland and some Hunslet Quarry class locos all in OO9 on n-gauge track.

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you may already know I have quite a few 009 models and hope to have a fully combined 00/009 layout so some decent locos would be great. My Kit=built efforts are pretty good but not a patch on my German HOe stuff made by ROCO and Lilliput.

Having said that I have produced a freelance 009 sentinal using 3d printing and am considring a VoR loco if I ever get round to it. However, what I'd really like to see is a 009 Linton and Barstaple loco to go with my PECO coaches.

However, something that I think would really sell would be a quarry Hunslet (in open and closed cab varieties

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/270851dc6d06e0f830e7343339e4f6e9.JPGHowever, something that I think would really sell would be a quarry Hunslet (in open and closed cab varieties

Something like this I expect?

• 2 months later...

I have a small wishlist for OO9 models....

- 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn"

- 0-4-0WT "Dolgoch"

- 0-4-2ST "Sir Haydn"

- 0-4-2ST "Edward Thomas"

- 0-4-0WT "Douglas"

- 0-4-2T "Tom Rolt"

You like the Tal-y-llyn Railway then?? :-)

Archived