OO9

LCDR

I have a small wishlist for OO9 models....

- 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn"

- 0-4-0WT "Dolgoch"

- 0-4-2ST "Sir Haydn"

- 0-4-2ST "Edward Thomas"

- 0-4-0WT "Douglas"

- 0-4-2T "Tom Rolt"

You like the Tal-y-llyn Railway then?? :-)

That would be a BIG YES!

Yes I like that line as well. One advantage for Hornby should they adopt the TR is that it opens up the opportunity of doing Skarloey Railway versions to the TTTE range.

I have a small wishlist for OO9 models....

- 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn"

- 0-4-0WT "Dolgoch"

- 0-4-2ST "Sir Haydn"

- 0-4-2ST "Edward Thomas"

- 0-4-0WT "Douglas"

- 0-4-2T "Tom Rolt"

You like the Tal-y-llyn Railway then?? :-)

That would be a BIG YES!

Yes I like that line as well. One advantage for Hornby should they adopt the TR is that it opens up the opportunity of doing Skarloey Railway versions to the TTTE range.

That's true indeed, as long as Hornby design it smartly smokebox doors can be replaced by faces.

Despite missing the TR 150th I still feel that Hornby should seriously consider this scale / gauge for future. It can be used on its own or as a feeder to a normal OO layout. The huge advantage of OO9 is that  a quite complex layout can be built into a small space, especially if you are tight for room.

I have already started collecting OO9 rolling stock !

• 2 months later...

Not too sure there is such a thing as 'Generic' narrow gauge. For steam the 'Quarry Hunslets' were a numerous class and many have survived into preservation, and the Kerr Stewart 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 saddle tanks (like Edward Thomas on the Talyllyn) were fairly common too. The little Ruston diesel (i.e. TR 'Midlander') would probably qualify in the internal combustion category. Bachmann has chosen well with the WW1 Baldwin 4-6-0T but even the little O&K 0-6-0WT which was almost ubiquitous in Europe were employed here in the UK, and still are, could be a winner, and these might sell on the Continent albeit in OO9 and not HO9 scale.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I think about the closest to generic narrow gauge would be a tin turtle they where everywhere after WWI

Even the Ffestiniog still has one, quarry Hunslets are another that seemed to have a very wide range.

Using UK prototyes even allows for standard gauge wagon loads all be it slightly expencive ones ;-)

regards John

Hi LC & DR 

Thats him and where is his tough guy armoured mate.

I think there was 3 body variations that one, one that offered a bit more protection and the armoured one.

That looks like a case of "right then if you have nothing better to do go and polish the train" think one of those shouting SGT Major types ;-)

fFr the right period some of those on a train with some WD wagons would certainly be an interesting load even as a one of going to a preserved line somewhere probably wales.

regards John

'Elf' is a German built Orenstien & Koppel 0-6-0WT built in 1936, works number 12740. It was bought from the Cameroons to the Leighton Buzzard Light Railway. It originally worked on a rubber plantation.  O&K built hundreds of similar locomotives although only a few actually came new into the UK, these were found all over the world, especially in European Colonies.

Here are a couple I photographed in Mauritius.

/media/tinymce_upload/e32e72a67d2cc0a58895bfad2d1194b6.JPG

Pamplemousses World of Sugar

/media/tinymce_upload/e450636170e5c95d691f83bbe57e8b26.JPG

Cassela Bird Garden Kiddies Playground

May be of interest from Bressingham:

Gwynedd

/media/tinymce_upload/0b0e65c80edfa05fe9183c8a8fc2ba52.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/452942579651220e4409d8bb499fce19.JPG

Alan Bloom

/media/tinymce_upload/973a5f40bfa7223416284252368f6c42.JPG

Rosenkavalier

/media/tinymce_upload/6e31652b9e0fd281685ad041cc49a6ec.JPG

Thanks for the info LC...........The Leighton Buzzard Light Railway has been raising funds to build a new Visitor Centre and we're looking forward to the old unit being demolished after Xmas and a new timber clad, steel framed centre constructed in time for Easter running.  HB.

• 1 year later...

I believe that the arrival of the Heljan Lynton and Barnstable 2-6-2T is imminent (Hattons have kept reminding me that I have one on order), and I purchased a Minitrains WD 2-6-2T, ( similar to the Baldwin that Bachmann will be making later ) very recently from the shop at Porthmadog station. But yet nothing so far from Hornby? 

Surely they are not going to let the opportunity pass? There are so many possible prototypes.

You can get a really excellent OO9 layout in the fraction of the space you need for OO but still don't need a magnifying glass.  Just a Quarry Hunslet and an O&K Feldbahn 0-4-0WT would be all it would take for a little heritage feeder line.  Come on ! You know it makes sense !

• 2 weeks later...

I am seriously considering modeling in 009. I would love it if Hornby were to produce some Talyllyn or Ffestiniog locos and stock. I'd also like it if they were to produce a 'Getting Started' guide as I have no clue what to do! My plan is to have a line going up and round the chimney block, so I really need to know how steep the track can go before constructing the hill. I'd like to have a slate quarry/mine at the top, a small station with the standard gauge and another at the bottom with the canal. I'm intending to have one or two locos with about five trucks and three coaches.

If Hornby (or anybody) made RTR models of the Ffestiniog's original George England engines and the Fairlies, I would buy them...

I have one (possibly two) langley kits I squirrilled away arounbd 15 years ago. Sadly the ibertren 040 they need went out out of productrion so haven't built them yet despite obtaining a couple of Fichemann 040s which might fit with a lot of chopping away atr the body.

This is the Heljan L&B 2-6-2T that LC&DR referred to........looks pretty good........surely Hornby could get into 009, they already make N gauge chassis & OO bodies, just needs the will and marketing to make it happen.......HB

/media/tinymce_upload/535e62493c011518ae9016fdc590581c.jpg

Archived