walkabout cable

Yelrow

John, In the absence of the genuine R8266 article being available to order. If you really need this cable for use as a Select Walkabout cable, then you can use a clone version from Amazon. See below.

Below pasted from the other existing thread.

Since R8266 seems to be out of stock on Hornby and other well known sites. There is a company advertising on Amazon making and selling R8266 copies in different lengths if anybody is interested.....see link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hornby+r8266&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=42546330486&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3840455750652426548&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6yl77kv54q_b

You've broken the page Chris. :-o

Yes I know, that's why it was edited a few minutes later. It should be working now. Well at least it does when I test it.

Check the spec against the Hornby spec...as polis points out its not the same with regard to wire config. Its been covered before on this forum recently.

The Amazon company are stating Elite/Select connecting compatibility. They also state made with 4 wire twisted pair cable. However they are stating RJ12 which is an error, as we now all know the fact that it is the 4 wire wiring configuration that makes it RJ11 not RJ12.

There seems to be a presentation problem with these long links.

Maybe the forum could somehow auto-truncate them with a tilde (~) sign without losing the full address set.

On this occasion it was just a simple pasting error on my part. I couldn't test it until it had been posted. Once I tested it and found it broken, it took a few minutes to fix. It was just unfortunate that people found it broken in those intermediate 6 minutes whilst I was in the process of fixing it.

Hornby clearly stated it was a non-standard 4-wire configuration, so the supplier may/may not have that information. Did they do their homework.

I think Amazon are very good, both at supplying quickly and returning if there is a problem.  

The listing says it is Elite / Select compatible.

Hornby clearly stated it was a non-standard 4-wire configuration, so the supplier may/may not have that information. Did they do their homework.

OK I haven't bought one and tested it, but looking at the advert it seems to me that they have done their homework. They are making a point of stating in the advert:

1. Elite/Select compatibility.
  2. 4 wire twisted pair cable.
  3. compatible with Hornby R8266.

Thanks guys, its confused dot com. Amazon show 2, 3 metre R 8666 hornby compatible at £4.99, and RJ11 to RJ11, Cables for less 10 metre at £1.97. Bearing in mind postage costs just want to check which one. Presume, its the dear one. john

John,

Since you haven't provided the links for us to check. I will have to make a guess.

First of all I assume you meant R8266 not the R8666 you typed in your post. The R8266 2 metre is shown at £4.49.  The R8266 3 metre is shown at £4.99 and the 10 metre one is shown at £16.99. I suspect that the RJ11 to RJ11 cables for £1.97 are GENERIC RJ11 cables AND ARE NOT R8266 COMPATIBLE, you probably came across them by accident by clicking somewhere and going off to another part of the Amazon site.

Gosh, its difficult enough for us disabled hands guys, to type a post. If i need to type out links, i will need a Typist. I put both cable numbers into amazon, and thats what came up.         thanks for the clarification. Not very good when hornby have none. They are talking about months for their Elite. Mine came today, brand new, only problem is the book is in every language, but english. I have it on my laptop in docs, so will make do . john

John,

Don't search Amazon for yourself. That is probably the quickest way to end up ordering the wrong item. Go back to page 1 of this thread. On the third post down, there is a load of RED underlined text. Just 'left click' this block of RED underlined text on page 1 and you will be taken directly to the correct page on the Amazon site. Decide what length you want, then click the BLUE text on that page that states the length you want. This will then take you to the page where you can then order that particular cable. You will, of course, need to create an Amazon account (if you haven't got one already) in order to complete the purchasing process.

John - you can set Windows up to respond to spoken commands - probably easier to type it.

Cables - Ok - again for clarity.

The genuine Hornby R8266 cable is wired non standard than a normal spec RJ11 cable.

The Hornby round profile 4-wire cable R8266 has twisted pairs of colour matched wires (plain & striped) whereas the industry standard RJ11 4-wire cable has a flat profile and non-twisted wires in a pattern inner pair of one colour (plain & striped) and next outer pair of another colour (plain & striped), with there being no 1st and 6th extreme outer wires in either cable.

The Hornby cable is wired non standard to protect against unwanted cross talk seen in the earlier but now superceded walkabout cable (6-wire RJ12 standard R8236 Booster Cable).

The eBay cable is not stated as wired in twisted pairs, thus as it is flat profile it is probably to industry standard and although it will work as a walkabout you may see slow response and unwanted cross talk causing errors.

The only way to illustrate the wiring difference other than profile is to take a pair of scissors to each cable. Not wise.

RAF, hi, thanks, i think,   the amazon one looks fit for purpose. Cannot understand how Hornby are unable to supply. If i send you my Elite manual in 97 languages, would you like to clarify that for me. It would not be so bad, except there is a slightly thinner book with it, containing updates and mods. john

RAF,

Why are you mentioning e-Bay....have you actually looked at the AMAZON advert in the provided link on page 1. It clearly states 4 WIRE TWISTED PAIR compatible for Elite to Select connection and compatible to the Hornby R8266 cable. It really can't be much clearer than that.

RAF,

Why are you mentioning e-Bay....have you actually looked at the AMAZON advert in the provided link on page 1. It clearly states 4 WIRE TWISTED PAIR compatible for Elite to Select connection and compatible to the Hornby R8266 cable. It really can't be much clearer than that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8266-Style-4-wire-Select-DCC-Controller-Walkabout-Cable-/111167465811?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&var=&hash=item19e218e953

...who is now advertising it as 4-core twisted pair. These people have obviously caught up.

Archived