TTS Volume

Wayne2467

Hi iam trying to change the volume settings on the Gadwall. I have looked at the instructions regarding cv values but not quite sure which part if any at all relates to changing the volume. Could someone point me in the right direction? thanks

Wayne, the only Hornby TTS loco I have is 71000 "Duke of Gloucester." My instruction sheet included with that shows a "Full Function Table." I assume yours does, from what you say.

Virtually everyone finds the default volume very high. I actually reduced mine down from the default setting of 4 (range 0-8) right down to 1 and still find it a bit too noisy for my railway room. 0 turns the sound off.

Volume settings on your instructions possibly show CV178 (not readable) as a quick overall Set Volume Level adjusting CV. I put in the value of 1 to that as stated. If you want to change any individual settings, also at default 4, my CVs range from CV160 to CV177 and these should be readable as well as being capable of being reset to other values in the same volume range of 0-8.

Do you have all this included in your instructions?

Wayne, the only Hornby TTS loco I have is 71000 "Duke of Gloucester." My instruction sheet included with that shows a "Full Function Table." I assume yours does, from what you say.

Virtually everyone finds the default volume very high. I actually reduced mine down from the default setting of 4 (range 0-8) right down to 1 and still find it a bit too noisy for my railway room. 0 turns the sound off.

Volume settings on your instructions possibly show CV178 (not readable) as a quick overall Set Volume Level adjusting CV. I put in the value of 1 to that as stated. If you want to change any individual settings, also at default 4, my CVs range from CV160 to CV177 and these should be readable as well as being capable of being reset to other values in the same volume range of 0-8.

Do you have all this included in your instructions?

I have the instructions that came with the loco describing the default value of four and going up to eight. I don't have elite instructions but use the ones online. having only just purchased the elite I have not yet done anything to do with cvs and don't want to accidentally alter anything I shouldn't.  

My downloaded copy of the manual has functions on page 19.  I think you need page 36.  May be the same thing looking at PDF page numbers v manual page numbers as there are 2 per PDF page.  You'll also find the Menu overview on pages 8-9 very useful as a quick guide, once you get the hang of how to use the Elite's menus.

Two things must happen here Wayne:

1. You need to understand which CVs to change in your loco's decoder to achieve the result you are after.

2. You need to understand how to change CVs using your particular controller.

This involves reading two manuals - one for the loco and one for the controller (I presume from earlier posts yours is an Elite).

hi - i have managed to assign a locos address but still no luck with altering sound.

this is how i have tried

1 press menu

2 press loco

3 press direct

4 rotate to cv

5 press  cv

6 press cv write

7 choose a number between 160 and 177 and press

8 alter between 0-8

9 press

as far as i can tell this is correct but no success for me         

You have the procedure right Wayne but you are changing the wrong CV.

Just change CV178 to value 1 if you want if quiet or value 4 if you want it noisy or value 8 if you want to shatter glass. Value 0 turns it off completely.

CV178  sets the overall volume on TTS steam locos. TTS diesels are CV182.

If you then find you want to change the individual volume of a particular sound then change the CV for only that sound as listed in the manual.

You have the procedure right Wayne but you are changing the wrong CV.

Just change CV178 to value 1 if you want if quiet or value 4 if you want it noisy or value 8 if you want to shatter glass. Value 0 turns it off completely.

CV178  sets the overall volume on TTS steam locos. TTS diesels are CV182.

If you then find you want to change the individual volume of a particular sound then change the CV for only that sound as listed in the manual.

Still no luck. I have done as you mentioned on the main track as this is what I think I read in the manuelalinstructions But with programme wires connected as well. Also I have tried on the program track. At the end there is one continuous glow of red rather than numerous flashes.

The TTS steam manual says to programme on the main track using 'Operate Mode'. Do not connect the programme wires to the main track.

See the section 'Operate Mode' in your Elite manual.

thanks that worked. not using operate mode was where I was going wrong and maybe wiring the programme track. 

Level 8 seems ok to me as iam in the summer house and not affecting anyone. Though to be certain will give it a longer run out tomorrow.  Thanks Poliss and Raf

...with programme wires connected as well...

...there is one continuous glow of red...

I'm not surprised Wayne - you never connect both the prog and main terminals to your track at the same time.

Best practice is to have a separate programming track. My advice did not say to program on the main - just that your procedure was correct - no mention there of the track (main or programming).

The TTS manual does say you can program on the main in OP mode for convenience because then you hear the sound volume change straight away, but you cannot read CV values on the main only write them.

Regardless of that you seem to have sorted it.

...with programme wires connected as well...

...there is one continuous glow of red...

I'm not surprised Wayne - you never connect both the prog and main terminals to your track at the same time.

Best practice is to have a separate programming track. My advice did not say to program on the main - just that your procedure was correct - no mention there of the track (main or programming).

The TTS manual does say you can program on the main in OP mode for convenience because then you hear the sound volume change straight away, but you cannot read CV values on the main only write them.

Regardless of that you seem to have sorted it.

Thanks for your help Raf much appreciated. Hopefully now I can leave the technology side and concentrate on scenery for a while.  

• 9 months later...

I've got a Class 40 and can change CV182, but even with  the overall volume reduced to 1 it is still too loud, can't imagine what 8 would do, 4 hurts my ears. I'm sure my adjustment is working as setting it to 0 mutes it completely.

is there anything else I can do short of stuffing the body full of foam?

If you are prepared to take the top off for a look-see, just check that the speaker is an 8 ohm one, as I have got a 4 ohm one in my early 37 and on setting one it is far too loud, so I will have to change it and while I am in there it may get an 8 ohm oblong one and better enclosure instead, as that seems to improve the TTS sound quality no end according to other forums.

if it is an 8 ohm already then make sure the speaker enclosure is sealed, especially where the wires exit, using a bit of Blu/White/Black-Tak.

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, resurrecting this older post as I have a kind-of similar question.

I've just fitted a TTS Class 20 decoder to a Bachmann Class 20. Runs great, but the volume is way too loud at the factory default. The paperwork says CV182 is the overall volume adjustment, but I can't read it or adjust it. Nor can I read any other cv's apart from chip info, 29, short address and accel/decel...

I am using Railmaster and e-Link, the decoder paperwork suggests adjusting the volume "on the main", but I can't see a way to do this with railmaster. Can it be done? Any clues why can't I read the majority of the cv's in programme mode?

Badger

RM cannot POM so its down to writing a new value to CV182 on the programming track attached to the eLink PROG terminals. If you are not using the PROG method then you will not be able to read or change any CVs.

It may appear to be unwritable but it is the correct CV.to adjust the overall volume with. You can then also adjust individual volumes to suit using the full range of CVs listed in the user manual.

Just in case you have a dodgy decoder see if adjusting CV184 works on the overall volume. If so contact HCC about it.

Thanks for the info, fellow Brat. Well, it turns out CV182 is actually working....  I reduced the volume to 1 from the assumed default of 4 (factory default according to the decoder's instructions, but it won't let me read it to see!) and...... no difference!  Tried putting it to 0, no sound, which proves it's the right cv and doing something at least. Tried 8 out of curiosity, only marginally louder than 1.....!

Not good programming Hornby, really not good at all.

This was an experiment to see how it would work out - sadly (for my wallet!), I'll be back to Zimo and ESU from now on.

CV182 is just a handy way of setting the overall volume, then as HB says the readback of the individual sounds reflecting that setting is by way of CVs16xx.

CV182 can be adjusted on the main if your controller is capable of POM, then you can hear the volume change in real time and assess the affect as it travels around the layout.

TTS is what it is and full fat sound as you say comes with a price tag but can be more versatile, however I am not such a purist that I need my sounds to be top notch nor is my modelling prototype accurate so for me TTS (especially diesel) is OK - close enough for Government work as we used to say in Industry.

Well done to those who do model to exacting standards, I often wish I still had the necessary skills but age has taken its toll and the fingers, ears and eyes are just not up to it any longer.

Rob

Archived