TTS sound wish list

olly

What locomotives would people like Hornby to bring out in the next few years with TTS sound 

my wish list would be

1)HST class 43

2) class 73

3)  generic tank engine that could be used in several models

As a feasibility study I did try fitting my Class 37 TTS sound (as I already had the 37 apart to install an Express Models lighting kit) to the Hornby Collector's club diesel using a speaker from a mobile phone which was the same ohmage - plenty of room in the cab for the speaker - but gave up due to troubles getting the 2 piece body back on over all the wires I had in there after also fitting some leds (headlight, tail light and cab light).

Besides a tiny shunter with a great big tractor engine was never going to sound quite right...

RAF96 I would be interested to know how you get on With the Lighting kit  I'm Thinking Of Maybe Getting One For the Class 47 and My Eurostar . If Possible Could You Post Some Pictures?

RAF96 I would be interested to know how you get on With the Lighting kit  I'm Thinking Of Maybe Getting One For the Class 47 and My Eurostar . If Possible Could You Post Some Pictures?

The kits are a bit expensive olly but they save you having to source and wire up your own leds and resistors as they come fully wired to a central pcb with colour coded fly leads to solder to your TTS decoder socket. Full instructions are provided.

TTS locos leave the factory with only the outer 4 pins of the decoder socket wired (2 x track + 2 x motor pins), you have to solder on the blue, yellow and white wires from the kit to the decoder socket. If you want to add cab lights then also a green wire but cab lights are not part of the kit.

They are a doddle to install, providing you have some small drills and are not afraid of filing the leds to make them flush to th eloco body. I found the Class 37 wiring logic was wrong in that the lights were reversed to the direction of travel. There was I believe a problem with early TTS decoders long since fixed in production, so the other kits I fitted were OK to the instructions.

I can't post pictures of the 37 as all the lighting wires are hiddden by the steel weights I glued to the roof area, but I could take the lid off either my Class 56 and/or Class 90 and take some happy snaps for you.

TTS, It's ok for diesels or electrics, but not for steam outline, because the sounds don't match the wheel and con-rod movements.

Can't see the point of electric sound decoders seeing as electric loco models already have an electric sound generator built in to make the wheels go round - the Hornby motor.

And the real ones all sound like Hoovers to me.  

TTS, It's ok for diesels or electrics, but not for steam outline, because the sounds don't match the wheel and con-rod movements.

Can't see the point of electric sound decoders seeing as electric loco models already have an electric sound generator built in to make the wheels go round - the Hornby motor.

And the real ones all sound like Hoovers to me.  

weren't the class 50's called Hoovers ? 

I have to stand up for the sounds of electric trains, the motor is only a tiny bit of the sound spectrum.

Southern Electric units (5Bel/2Bil / 2Hal) have a distinctive chugga-chugga of the Westinghouse pump, the controller cam shaft and circuit brakers all have a cacophony of clicks and bangs, and there is an occasional click or clink as the shoes pass over gaps in the Con rail. The Westinghouse brake also hisses when applied. Early SR units had whistles, but later in life they got two tone horns.

The Class 71 has a huge motor generator inside coupled via a heavy fly wheel. This roars into action and cotinues noisily while the locomotive is under power. There will be the distinctive chime whistle fitted when new, but sadly replaced when BR went over to two tone horns. I could recognise this sound of the whistle from a mile away, and especially at night from my bedroom, when I was a kid.

The AC electrics on the other hand have very noisy and distinctive blower sounds. I live 3/4 mile from York station but I can hear the class 91s arriving and departing. They also have a distinctive two tone horn sound unlike any other stock.

A sound that is very distinctive is the noise of the 3 phase traction motors of the 365/465/375/377 suburban units. This sounds like it is 'changing gear' as they accellerate and the noise is unique to stock with this type of control system.

The wheel noise of a 4Vep was similarly distinctive. From my office I could tell if it was a 4Cep or a 4Vep passing at speed without actually seeing it. It was similar to the ringing sound made by the 4DD Double Decker, a unique Southern type which passed my house four times a day every day in the 1950s and 1960s.

So I contend that electrics do have a varied and unique range of sounds.

I only have one TTS, and I'm not impressed, sorry.

It's ok for diesels or electrics, but not for steam outline, because the sounds don't match the wheel and con-rod movements.

Please don't re-start the argument.

Just a question, out of curiosity, all of my many sound-equipped locos (three different brands) have CV's to "fine-tune" the chuffing with the wheel rotation. The "TTS" does not? Many of the newer (American) steamers have a sensor that reads the rotation of a driver to ensure accuracy. You Brits need to "catch-up" to modern technology!!

It's ok for diesels or electrics, but not for steam outline, because the sounds don't match the wheel and con-rod movements.

I'm with 2e0 on this. I had pre-ordered a few steam TTS models but cancelled them all when I heard the chuffs weren't synchronized with the wheel turns. Such as shame as it seems a brilliant product otherwise I just have a personal nit pick with the chuff synchronization.  

Just a question, out of curiosity, all of my many sound-equipped locos (three different brands) have CV's to "fine-tune" the chuffing with the wheel rotation. The "TTS" does not? Many of the newer (American) steamers have a sensor that reads the rotation of a driver to ensure accuracy. You Brits need to "catch-up" to modern technology!!

It's a matter of $$$ or GBP. The sensors you speak of would add quite a lump to the price in a market where people generally have less disposable income than in the US. Sound seems to be more generally accepted here in the US with 2 manufacturers (BLI and MTH) doing nothing but DCC sound. In the UK sound is still very much in the minority with most sound being after market fitting by either a store or the modeller. Fitting the sensors yourself somewhat harder than tuning CVs.

A BLI loco with sound/smoke can be bought for ~$300, a Hornby sound fitted loco these days at current exchange rates would be ~ $370. In my opinion the BLI loco is better quality and more detailed.

Just my opinion.

• 8 months later...

Archived