DCC controller problem

steve_dubier

Hi,

I just bought a dcc select controller attached a hornby dcc fitted loco which showed up as the default 03 but it doesnt run, it appears to be working as there is a sound from the loco but it doesnt move, however when i choose 00 as the number on the controller the loco runs forward and backward with no problem, it just doesnt reprogram to a new number, please help.

Welcome to the forums Steve.

First thing to confirm is that it actually is a DCC fitted loco as people have reported the odd one not being what it said on the box, especially as it won't run on the factory default number but it will run on DC number.

Another clue is the noise you hear is the DC motor protesting about being fed DCC voltage and I would suggest removing it from the track unless it is actually moving or the motor could burn out.

I don't know your skill level Steve so will have to assume that you are a complete begineer - if not then please accept my apologies.

Sometimes it takes a bit of digging to get to the root of a problem.

Are the locos new and were they purchased from a reputable local dealer, online or on eBay?. If new then you should contact the point of purchase and say they are faulty/not as advertised/etc.

What are the loco types and  catalogue numbers - Hornby numbers are in the format R1234 and will be shown on the end of the box. If you don't have the boxes we can usually find out from the loco type and running number painted on the side.

Are you absolutely certain the locos have a decoder installed and they are not just DCC Ready as opposed to DCC fitted Steve. If they definitely have decoders fitted and not just blanking plugs then as DCC fitted locos we have to assume Hornby chips, but if you are taking the lid off to look take a photo and post it here and we can confirm what you have.

To upload an image copy it onto your desktop then using the last icon on the right above here navigate to the picture and upload. There will be a delay if uploading pictures as they have to be moderated so you may wish to reply with words first and add any picture(s) later.

Unfortunately your Select controller cannot reset a decoder else I would suggest writing value 8 to CV8 which puts the deocder back to factory settings and address 003..

With regard to programming not working. Assuming you have connected a piece of track to the Select correctly per the manual, although the Select goes through the motions and appears to have programmed the decoder it may not have.

You need to take the body off and check that the Decoder is fitted, as stated above.  If it (they) only work on id 00, they certainly do NOT appear to have decoders fitted.  00 is the id used to operate a Loco without a decoder fitted, when using a DCC controller.

Hi guys, I am very new at this so my appologies for sounding dumb, I will open the the logos up and check, like I said I am fairly new at this, may be I am getting dcc ready confused with dcc fitted, thanks for all ur help and again sorry about the confusion.

We all started off in DCC with our knowledge CV set at value 0 so you are not alone Steve.

Be aware that if you are opening up the locos and they need to be returned the vendor may carp about it.

Steve

No apologies needed, I can assure you.  We all started off with zero knowledge but there are some extremely experienced members on here to help.

One thing does seem rather strange as well though - if you bought the Select and the Loco's together, it would actually be reasonable to assume that the Loco's are DCC, despite the fact that all the tests you have reported so far, appear that they are not.

Did you buy them 2nd hand?  Can you ask the person you bought them from any background about them?   Did you see them working before you purchased?  RAF96 has already asked about the model numbers (R????).  That information will be helpful regarding DCC ready or fitted.  Sorry for the additional questions but past experience on here does show that the more information you can provide the quicker the solution will be found for you.

Steve,

I agree with the others, your descriptions point to your locos being DCC Ready not DCC Fitted.

Just to help you identify components when you have taken the body off your loco(s).

This link contains a photo of an example of a DCC decoder Blanking Plug. These are what are fitted to DCC READY locos. The blanking plate is removed when replaced by an actual decoder - see link below.

This link contains a photo of an example of a DCC decoder as fitted to  DCC FITTED locos.

As a rule of thumb and in general. Manufacturers (Hornby in particular) tend to leave the choice of decoder up to the user. Thus, the majority of the locos are sold DCC Ready.

Surely if the locos are NEW and boxed check the catalogue  number  --- if there is an X after the number it IS DCC fitted and if it has not got an X it ain`t

Admin edit: As we still haven't got to the bottom of Steve's problem, I don't think a page of banter is suitable.

• 6 years later...

Did they ever run properly.

When you say ‘do not run properly’ what do you mean - stop/start, run stuttery, stop at a particular part of the track, etc.

Which decoders are fitted to which locos.

All this info will help us help you.

Hi

Have you undertaken the following... Cleaned all rail tops. Cleaned all loco pick up wheel rims? These are the most likely causes of poor connection.

Next, have you any DC plug-in power connectors or power track sections? If so, flip open their plastic cover(s) with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver and look inside. If there is a small capacitor connected across the two wire connectors snip it out and remove it and close the cover.

@Derek

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.