Distractions

LCDR

Arising out of conversations on the Engine Shed forum I wonder what trains might be attractive, but which was not strictly in keeping with your main collecting theme. This will be of no interest whatsover to those who do not have a collecting theme of course.

My primary interest is the South Eastern Division of the Southern Region 1945 - 1965, but I do like heavy goods locos and London Underground as well.  So leaving aside these primary topic areas what would tempt  me to buy on impulse if it were actually made ?

I think I could easily be tempted by some Caledonian Railway types (I already have the Tr-iang Caley Single). I like the look of them in blue livery. A Dunalistair 4-4-0,  an 812 class 0-6-0 and 0-4-4T all appeal to me.

I also quite like very early engines like the Burys, Planets, Jenny Linds and similar. Together with a train of matching veteran rolling stock these might easily prise a few pounds from my wallet.

Totally irrelevent to any possible layout, I have a Duchess, a Merchant Navy, Preserved Midland Compound and a Castle - I just like them, plus happy memories from the past.

Sundry other steam types that may have worked ECML trains plus locos that may have appeared on holiday trains to the Yorkshire coast, such as Jubilee, Scot etc. Please a few diesels, green and blue.

Overall, I suppose, it's layout asperations plus 'just liking them'.

Is that steam, dismal, or electric, Fazy?  :-)

To answer LC's question, as I'm building a 'preserved' railway just about anything I can think of a reasonable excuse for obtaining!

The only 'modern' stock I have is what might reasonably be expected to appear on a NorthWestern branch, ie a couple of Sprinters, and a few T66 diesels with a few trucks hanging off the back.

I've also got a 'Desiro' EMU, because I liked the look of it (and a four car set was on discount!) but as I have no overhead wires, it will have to push a motorless (read plastic kit) steam loco around, and pretend it is visiting!

I know what paddle-keys are, but a paddle-box? I thought maybe a box for keeping paddles in!

To save someone asking, a paddle-key is a morse code key, but instead of a sprung bar that is pressed down to make electronic beeps, a paddle key is pivoted sideways, and is pressed one way for short beeps, and the other for long beeps (VERY simplistically!)

_ _ _    _ . _?

P.S. Americans call table-tennis bats - paddles!

Serious Answer -

Paddle Box refers to the similarity of these locomotives (LSWR T14) to an old fashioned paddle steamer.  These locos had huge splashers over the six driving wheels at once, and a low running plate and high boiler so they looked really peculiar.

/media/tinymce_upload/949bdc45c3053524fe34b0441ff1e6e0.jpg

You may have to enlarge the picture to get rid of the interference.

Given Hornby's love of all things LSWR I predict one will appear in model form before 2020.

Sorry yes it's a T14 I would have a O1,  O2, O4,  pluss the Q4 Q5 Q7. Along with some  Ravens engines. The O1, O4 were see at Leicester and possibly the O2 too. So they might not count in this topic. 

Archived