Virgin Trains East Coast - HST

Pretendolinofan

The 'new kid on the block', Virgin's latest company Virgin Trains East Coast have recently wrapped their first HST in the companies striking Red and White colours. 

I personally think this looks fantastic, for me it's excellent to see the HST back in the Virgin Red from childhood memories on the Cross Country network. It was also my first model, like many receiving the Hornby HST pack for christmas. 

With this in mind, would anyone consider purchasing the new tooling Hornby HST if released in the Virgin Trains East Coast dynamic colours? I have every confidence we should see this released in the coming years, Virgin are usually very good at licensing their models.

It would be fantastic to hear what fellow collectors think of this?

Pictured below, the new VTEC HST Class 43 power car at London's Kings Cross. Albeit not with it's matching MK3 rolling stock, but never the less looking #RedHot.

/media/tinymce_upload/e243f75af88111e92e801ccbd59e8938.JPG

It's definitely striking and I do like how they've inverted the dominant colour vs the Pendolinos on WCML (i.e. red/silver instead of silver/red).  However I've got to say I've always had a soft spot for the old GNER blue with orange/red. :)

I still think that the BR corporate blue and grey livery was the best colour scheme these ever carried.  My second choice would be the GNER blue / orange.

I have just transferred a BR 1980 film about these from VCR to DVD, They were certainly eyecatching when new.

Hornbys bond to do it in the next few years. But what will happen when the HST's start to be withdrawn.  Also will anyone be able to save a full set on a heritage line? As they must deserve to have at least one set saved. 

Hornbys bond to do it in the next few years. But what will happen when the HST's start to be withdrawn.  Also will anyone be able to save a full set on a heritage line? As they must deserve to have at least one set saved. 

One of the prototype power cars was recently restored to working order and was running with three Mark 3 carriages on the GCR. The NRM has 'claimed' an production HST set when they eventually do come up for withdrawal, but I expect that is not going to be for at least five years yet, and probably many more. What I think will happen is that more will be cascaded on to new  services run by Grand Central, and other open access operators.

I also expect that at least one will be preserved in main line running condition for rail touring, but I think a full set will be too long for any heritage line, although the extended GCR might be able to use a shortened one.

Undoubtedly the 'Train that Saved British Rail' .

I am sure there will be several HSTs preserved. Looks good in new Virgin colours and I am sure hornby will have one in the range soon.  Let's hope there is a new detailed full range of Mks3 in the pipe line and send the current ones into the Railroad range.  If I won big on the lotto I would buy a HST power car strip it out except the cab, make water tight and build a model railway in there  and have it in the large garden I would have. 

I am sure there will be several HSTs preserved. Looks good in new Virgin colours and I am sure hornby will have one in the range soon.  Let's hope there is a new detailed full range of Mks3 in the pipe line and send the current ones into the Railroad range.  If I won big on the lotto I would buy a HST power car strip it out except the cab, make water tight and build a model railway in there  and have it in the large garden I would have. 

The Current Mk3's are ok. The bogies need an upgrade and probably the roofs to incorporate different variations. If you retool a Mk3 it's going to cost a lot of money. The powercars itself are pricey. No need for the coaches to be.

It would cost a lot but look how much they have spent on the Pullman coaches I have lost count how many different ones there is match board sides, steel sides, alluminium sides, 8 wheeled and 12 wheeled oh and then there is the Brighton Bell Pullmans.  Think we need all new MK3's they are going to be around for a long time yet. I am sure hornby will get there investment back and a lot more. 

There is absolutely no reason why the Mark 3 coaches could not in fact sit in both the Railroad range as the older less detailed unlit current version, and some new super duper with lights etc. ones in the main range, and priced accordingly. There is precedent for that . The all steel 'K' Pullmans of course, have Railroad equivalents, as do the Mark 1s and the Gresleys.

It would cost a lot but look how much they have spent on the Pullman coaches I have lost count how many different ones there is match board sides, steel sides, alluminium sides, 8 wheeled and 12 wheeled oh and then there is the Brighton Bell Pullmans.  Think we need all new MK3's they are going to be around for a long time yet. I am sure hornby will get there investment back and a lot more. 

They will eventually get their money back. But the Mk3s are fairly detailed already and capture the look of the prototype well. The Mk3s match the Mk1s and Mk2Es now. All the Mk3 actually needs is bogies with NEM couplings. Detail can be added onto those.

If they re-tool it the Mk3 will go well beyond £30 and that wouldn't be affordable for a lot of people. The Pullman coaches and Mk3s are two different types of caoaches with almost two different markets. Not everyone wants those Pullman's. The Mk3s however are a stable on all HSTs and a lot of loco hauled stock behind (Class 47, 57, 67, 86, 87, 90 etc.) If you make general coaching stock expensive it's not going to good for a lot of modellers.

If you can afford it then good, sadly others cannot. Almost all modern rolling stock is big and long. Cannot afford to pay that much.

I stand by my opinion, the Mk3s are perfectly fine, they may be old but all they need is updated bogies with NEM couplings. At the most maybe a few roof variations can be considered. Apart from the "buffer beam details" the Mk3 has everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived