What cries for a retool or upgrade?

JeremiahBunyan

As the title says... what are those Hornby products that are crying out for either a retool or upgrade?

Here's my list:-

- Class 86

- Class 87

- Class 91

- Class 92

- Mk3 (NEM couplings)

- Mk4

- Mk4 DVT

- Eurostar intermediate coaches

- GWR County Class

- LNER D49/2

- 0-4-0 chassis (NEM couplings, 4-pin DCC socket)

- 0-6-0 chassis (NEM couplings, 4-pin DCC socket)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The princess royal need a total retooling.  Don't want 4pin in the small tanks. 8pin or 21pin would be better. 

And ready made soldering pads put on all pcb boards to help in fitting lights, sound, smoke generators etc.

The princess royal need a total retooling.  Don't want 4pin in the small tanks. 8pin or 21pin would be better. 

And ready made soldering pads put on all pcb boards to help in fitting lights, sound, smoke generators etc.

The 4wDM Sentinel does very well with a 4-pin DCC socket. I think for Railroad models like the 0-4-0's and 0-6-0's a 4-pin socket is perfect because a majority of the Railroad models are sold to kids Use sockets for higher functionality only increases the cost and that's not viable for the Railroad range.

Any main range models (LNER J50 and any in future) can do with an 8-pin socket. 21-pin sockets are only used on Hornby's DCC sound models.

And pray tell me fazy how would you fit a 21 pin decoder in a Terrier. It's bigger than the loco. He he. 

Dare I mention the 466 Networker? It would be nice to have a updated version plus of course the non-driving cars to extend it to a 465, then with a little bit of ingenuity the 165 / 166, and 365 would all be possible.

And pray tell me fazy how would you fit a 21 pin decoder in a Terrier. It's bigger than the loco. He he. 

Ummm! Shrink ray?

And just to show no NSE bias whatsoever how about bringing the 142 and 156 DMUs up to modern specification?

You can if you want to. Just keep the pacers out of Hampshire !!

Why? Trying to stand on a Pacer from Winchester to Waterloo would be far cheaper than Gym membership!

Whether we love them or (and I have to state I am in the second camp) hate them, the 'Pacer' was a significant piece of railway history, and deserves to be included in the RTR market.

Post end of steam and pre-Privatisation the significant railway locomotives and rolling stock, I believe include -

Class 56 plus MGR

Class 86/87 and FFA/FGA wagons / Mark 2e Coaches

Class 91 plus Mark 4

Class 142

Class 156

Class 158

Class 253/254

Class 313/314/315

Class 319

Class 165/166/365/465

There are of course very important hang-over non-steam types from the steam era,which served during most of this period such as Class 08, Class 20, Class 25, Class 31, Class 37, Class 40, Class 45, Class 47, Class 50 and Class 55, Class 101, Class 108, Class 310/312,  and Class 415. I would also include Mark 1 hauled coaching stock in my list of important and 'Iconic' trains of the recent past.

And whats up with the classes 22? 24?26'27 28, 29, 33 35 42 44 46 52 53 not to mention the 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Not to mention the DMU's 

All am saying is if your going to do a list.

I'll get my coat 

The critical word in my original post was "Significant".  A long list of everything doesn't really help. What I wanted to convey was that there were certain classes that above all others represent the mainstream of railway equipment in that particular era.

My list contains those types that above all others I believe really ought to be a standard feature of the ranges available constantly. 

As I said. The track needs a retool. The only new piece out since System 6 was introduced is a 3rd radius curve.

It's about time Hornby introduced live frog points and other useful pieces, such as a slips and a scissors crossover.

The critical word in my original post was "Significant".  A long list of everything doesn't really help. What I wanted to convey was that there were certain classes that above all others represent the mainstream of railway equipment in that particular era.

My list contains those types that above all others I believe really ought to be a standard feature of the ranges available constantly. 

I was just pulling  your leg LC&DR.  Though I would put the 27 on there as from the selfish point of view.  As the 27's seemed to be brought in to replace the black 5 and 8f's and did for some time make Leicester a good stomping ground.  

Hi

As a western region fan the Classes 35, 42/43 and 52 are of significant importance for anyone modelling the post steam era of this region as they were the mainstay of the engines running on the region till replaced by Class 50's etc.

Archived