Sport Power Base - AC/DC?

Max58

Hi, just coming back to the hobby and brought a job lot of 3 scalextric sports sets from fleabay. Last night I thought I'd check out my purchases and found it's not quite the same as when I was a kid!  The power bases have a switch on the top, seeming to allow you to switch between AC 16v to 2x DC 16v outputs.  When selected to the AC output both tracks work, but on the DC output I can only get one track to work, do I need to plug a second power supply into the power base to get both tracks running on DC? I have no user instructions with any of the sets, and there dont seem to be any downloadable archive instructions on this site (which I find strange!), so any help or advice would be much appreciated - thank you!

HI "Max58",

The switch is to allow you to use one power pack/adapter per lane so that if a car de-slots the other car does not get a rush of power.

So the switch means 16 Volts (DC) spread across 2 lanes or 16 Volts (DC) for each lane but you do need a sperate power pack for each lane.

I highly recommend this setup to be honest as it allows the cars to be controlled much better and with the right controllers you also have brakes.

Make sure each power pack is the same though as there are several different kind out there.

Little tip if racing with kids: get a plug in dimmer for each power pack and you can adjust the power so that full trigger racing doesn't result in cars flying across the room!

Thanks Andy, I had a feeling that may be the case, will check my power supplies before I plug two in, not sure I fully appreciate what I've got yet in regards to track, a friend at work has just given me his Le Mans set to go with the Bash'n'Crash, GT Interactive + RMS (4) and Rally Sport (3) + lots of additional track I bought from fleabay - me thinks I'll be moving into the loft!!

This is the first forum I've actually participated in and the experience has been really positive, thanks once again to Andy P for the quick reply - where do I get plug in dimmers from? Are they available from Hornby, or an after market modification?  Next step is digital!!

Regards

Max58

• 3 years later...

HI Max58.

I got mine from amazon. essentially this: http://www.abilityanswers.com/images/PLUG%20IN%20DIMMER%20SWITCH.jpg

I set it at a low setting, pull the trigger full blast and slowly increase the power until the car flies off and then I knock it back one setting.

You certiainly do have a ton of track!

Andy

HI there 

Just wondering what impact having two power bases has on the track, is it good, bad? ( im a bit of a newbie)

thanks J

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have sport power & cntrol base multi lane (C8217) is it necessary to connect the long wires to the track If only running 2 lanes?

because mine won't work if they are left loose, I thought they were to connect  to the other lanes if runNing a 4 lane track.

Any help welcome thanks.

You have a highly valued powerbase.

Yes it is used for 2 or 4 or 6 lanes.

The lanes that are connected to the wires get the power.

The lanes without the wire become standard straights.

So for 4 lanes , you use 2 power bases feeding a powerpack per lane.

Otherwise you have to wire it all yourself.

Scalextric was thinking of the racers when those were produced.

You have a highly valued powerbase.

Yes it is used for 2 or 4 or 6 lanes.

The lanes that are connected to the wires get the power.

The lanes without the wire become standard straights.

So for 4 lanes , you use 2 power bases feeding a powerpack per lane.

Otherwise you have to wire it all yourself.

Scalextric was thinking of the racers when those were produced.