What's on your workbench?

81F

One of my long-term ongoing projects was to simply get a Hornby Pullman Observation car fully operational.

When received, 'good used' it seemed to work - lights OK, but dragged the equivalent of 4 non-lit fully operational coaches - not impressive, then the lights failed.

Not fully appreciating the simplicity of the contacts, first in hunting down the reasons for the poor lack of free-running I had inadvertantly reversed one of the axles - resulting in a short, as pick-ups are simple broad wipers onto the axles - one side per axle the wheel is insulated, the other is not insulated - metal-on-metal - to permit the current pick up. One 'side' / pole is picked up with one bogie, the other the other ...

Then the soldered wire broke off ... 

Too long story short, removing the screwed on bogie revealed that one wire had broken off requiring to open up the coach - not easy as its a super detail coach with loads of superfine details ... patience and probing permitted me to open the coach separating the chassis from the body.

The axes were not rotating freely, so all manner of things were tried, including gently clamping the sides to force some shape into the pin-point sockets ... sometimes works.

Super detail brakes were catching, so have been gently bent away slightly ...

Broken-off cable has been resoldered, axles' polarities as they should be, as free-rotating as possible ... then another problem seemed to be a slight extra spacing of the 'problem bogie' from the coach to ensure the wheels don't catch ... 

IT WORKS!! Lights and all, and the drag is very minor ... so much work just to ensure it works as it should do!

Looks good I must admit 'though!

Al.

I was inspired by Tornado now back on railtours in a new livery. I decided to detail my R3098 to reflect it:

• Re-lined tender and cab sides with better lining reflecting the colours better (I actually used various wet and dry grades to completely flat an early BR logo tender top back so I didn't need to repaint it - the colour is modelled into the plastic. Then applied sevarl coats of Halfords clear laquer and Fox transfers for the lining)
  • High gloss finish
  • Glazed the cab (just using Glue 'n Glaze)
  • Added extra overhead line warnings
  • Touched in some brass colour to the details
  • Fabricated some drain cocks from electronic component leg off-cuts. These are going to need to be adjusted when I run on the track I think, but, I think they should be sufficiently pliable...
  • Added a 4-pin wire to the tender and TTS sound with a mega base speaker

I still have buffer beam work to do, but, very pleased with it so far.

/media/tinymce_upload/5a04e65caec302beb0c989407c2c6942.png

@ LMSFan72.

Loving what you have been doing to Tornado.

Continued progress with my Class 37 and 66 as they go LL. So far looking better than I had ever hoped for and already planning my next strip downs and repaints......

/media/tinymce_upload/822042e218ae53a58cd4acaec1b48e05.JPG

The four Dapol Stanier coach kits are now finished bar the transfers. One error I made was to paint the inside of the actual coach bodies as despite care and cotton buds handy, some paint bled out into the window recesses. There is actually  no point doing the painting as once the glazing unit is in and the roof on, you can't see inside anyway as the interior coach partitions block the view from the other side, apart from maybe the brake area of the brake coach.  As I did the coaches all together, it was only on final assembly that I realised the problem and by that time I had painted all four. 

Vespa was quite correct in that it is better to trial fit the glazing units first. Mine fit OK apart from the brake coaches brake compartment as 3 of the 4 bent away from the ends and needing some glue and a mini clamp to hold them in place whilst the glue set. Otherwise a small block of wood helps to press the glazing in in the tight confines of the end vestibules.

I think it is time for a trial run of the 4 coaches on the layout, so up into the no doubt cold loft this afternoon. I think the Hornby 2P 4-4-0 can do the honours. This will pull 12 vans and a brake with only one traction tyre on, so I can wait a bit longer for them to get the spares tyres in. Not sure why they sell them in packs of 10 though ?    

I have also been mending a coupling on an open wagon, and noticed that it had "Airfix 1977" moulded on it. No idea where I got this from.   

Otherwise, mainly Airfix kits at the moment - some of them the same kits that I buily 50-55 years ago. The STUG 111 75 mm assault gun has "Airfix 1962" noulded on the floor.  

Tri-ang-Hornby class 31 under restoration.  A model shop graveyard box find.  It came in split down the middle with wrecked non-powered bogie, wrecked bogie pivot, messed up clear coat, motor parts missing and a weak motor magnet.  I took pity on it.

The loco is looking better./media/tinymce_upload/bc62d5b076a9cadcceb5f4c4419dbfc1.jpg

The restored power unit, just awaiting paintwork attention.

/media/tinymce_upload/2246b6528d367fa885275dc3b55b5799.jpg

I've never seen one of these motors look so clean.did they ever leave the factory that clean?

I ummmmm'd and aahhhh'd about doing this due to the risk of ruining it, but, I wanted to do a highly detailed 66731 in tribute to the NHS. I therefore decided to repaint my earlier livery Hattons model of the loco. It's OK, but, I may yet strip it back and have another go. I used custom mixed aerosols to try and get the paint match spot on, but, I found the following problems:

• I used full gloss, perhaps I should have gone semi-gloss/satin
  • the aerosol paint is really too thick - I should stick to airbrush and lots of practice I think!
  • the orange base coat to get the detail right looks as though it has made the lighter blue a touch turquoise. I went for Pantone 300C as that seemed to be the NHS blue according to their "brand image". That may just be the lighting though!

Picture shows it coming "back to life". All detail had been removed and it is now going back on as you can see - just the grills, wipers and lower body pipes/ladders to go back on which I will do after I put the transfers on..... Then I will touch up the detial around the grills etc after the need to handle as much is past.

/media/tinymce_upload/b7c303072b00cb0d1c026c65dc94dee4.png

I am currently dismantling a games controller that I once had (and broke!), for the DC motors, N.O push switches, etc.

Also working on a Lima J50, which requires 3 new buffers, and some paintwork touch-ups. It is a very intermittent runner - the solder joints to the pickups look very dodgy, and are shorting out on the metal chassis block / weight. I'll have to make a proper solder connections (the others are holding on by a thread) and insulate the joint and wires from the chassis block to stop the short.

I find Lima engines run quite well when cleaned and serviced regularly.

Loads of odds and sodds on my workbench at present.

Minor services with most of the models that I bought this earlier this year, and any snags/minor damage/ etc.

I got myself a black Coronation, r2270 'City of Edinburgh' LMS, last week.  At the moment I have changed the nameplate to the 'City of London', and waiting on the transfers to change the running numbers.

Now I have gained more knowledge and tools, paints and products....but mostly the spares and skill  required,.........it will be so much easier now, rather than going in blindly.

Pretty much all my Loco's are pre-used there will be plenty to do, in between working on my layout.

Happy days. 😆

I have one Triang blue pullman awaiting a new set of power pickups as the old ones snapped when I was trying to adjust them (I had kept faultering and stopping on points and I tracked the fault down to a pickup not quite touching the wheels.

I have a 2nd blue pullman power bogie awaiting a good clean and oil. I had bought this to provide a second power car as the gradientson my railway are a little too steep for a five car set. However, Ive just fitted new Hornby 3 hole disks to three of the coaches so the full so I may not need the second power car. With this second power unit and two dummy coaches I bought to provide spare bodies I might have enough bits for second set if I het a couple of additional centre cars. Just waiting for replacement transfers for one of the noses and would need to sprey over a scratch in the silver roof.

To mky suprise I have also managed to polish out a couple of fairly deep scratches in the siide using 1200 grit emery (wet) to start off with then some almost worn out of the same followed by some abrasive scouring powder called "Barkeepers".

@ellocoloco

The 66 is always a challenge to get the transfers on well....

First attempt on one side of 66731. It's amazing the difference it makes with the extra transfer detail (forgive the water marks as it was drying so it hasn't been cleaned up yet). I also not that under the LED lamps of the extractor booth the paintwork is much "bluer". Those cant rails are a nightmare to get straight too... I may well end up cutting them in the door apertures and adding separate bits back in - they just don't sit over the creases well

/media/tinymce_upload/fd6f189b289a544d0fdcd48935f2c359.png

/media/tinymce_upload/652b8b59ff17d4a5689825252df55158.png

I'm getting happier with it as time goes by!

...these may come up out of order....

So, Capt Tom Moore, 66731, now dulled down with a coat of Testors dullcote.... good enough to be a keeper now I think rahter than stripping back and starting again.

/media/tinymce_upload/5b4b746cc552dfbc87231a1177d99d97.png

Just received a super detail, late-model LNER Silver Fox - purchased with no - hen's teeth - tender for a bargain price.

I do have a suitable tender, but in Garter Blue, so I'm going to try and paint it first ... whilst still prowling for a tender 'lid' - only need the body.

I've painted the chassis and wheels - body is critical so must match the locomotive.

Loco, without box, was received without any damage whatsoever - lamp brackets, dust guards, etc perfect!!

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon my two large logo diesels are complete now and ready for service.....

/media/tinymce_upload/762ab01ee79382b90015f0f15050a37c.jpg

66789 is my Mehano model in HO with custom decals from Railtec. I am really please with how it has turned out and am already planning another.

/media/tinymce_upload/4b84a6d6a740ffa60cd8f65d135f3315.JPG

37403 is Triang R751 again with Railtec decals. I still have to source/make a head code blanking plate. Buffers were replaced and I used SE Finecast flush glazing - which I hope to never have to use again! As I explained several pages back on this thread, the 37 has served as a test bed for the 66 allowing me to practice spraying and learn before I touched something more costly, and as such I wasn't concerned about any bodywork details that were incorrect between the original Triang model and the 37/4. It still runs but sees very little use. Again, I am really happy with how it looks.

My Triang blue Pullman is now running after stripping the power bogie down, swabbing it with cfopious amounts of IPA to remoive years of congealed oil. While doing so I lost the original capacitor but have now rewired it with a DCC chips so that component is no longer needed. Once it gets going it runs well so I think I will save up and send t6he wheels off for reprofiling.

However, it does sit there and hum for around 10 seconds before driving off but I will post separately as I think this is a DCC issue.

A Dapol - ex Airfix Brake Van. Decent enough kit in my eyes. Just about built apart from weights and the roof as I am waiting for some Bauxite paint and it wil be easier to paint some parts without the roof on. Roof and underframe are painted. No couplings though as I robbed the kit for spares. 

An old Triang-branded Toad that I thought I'd use as weathering practice. Decided to go with just a light dusting as it's in Great Western livery and I understand they tended to keep their stock reasonably clean, at least on my railway they did anyway! I also painted the handrails white. Unfortunately some of the plastic has been bashed over the years before I acquired it and it was quite tricky to repair, so I left most of it. /media/tinymce_upload/d37a23c7db83cddde71b195909b1581b.jpg