What's on your workbench?

81F

Posted (edited)

Currently I have 3 B12 chassis on my work bench, bought off ebay as "noisy runners but nor too bad. Having trouble with one as it keeps jamming when in reverse at low speed , but has got better after re-quartering the back set of wheels.

the other one kept faltering even on the rolling road but that was fixed after removing the pickup plate and bending the wipers otwards to ensure the the remained in contact with the wheels.

The third just needed an oil.

All ready for my LNWR Prince of Wales Project once I have worked out how which wire from a Bachmann 21 pin G2A tender needs to connect to what on the B12 chassis.

Edited by 81F

5 hours ago, 81F said:

Currently I have 3 B12 chassis on my work bench, bought off ebay as "noisy runners but nor too bad. Having trouble with one as it keeps jamming when in reverse at low speed , but has got better after re-quartering the back set of wheels.

the other one kept faltering even on the rolling road but that was fixed after removing the pickup plate and bending the wipers otwards to ensure the the remained in contact with the wheels.

The third just needed an oil.

All ready for my LNWR Prince of Wales Project once I have worked out how which wire from a Bachmann 21 pin G2A tender needs to connect to what on the B12 chassis.

One problem I have had with that type of chassis is the tender coupling bar moving when running in/testing and touching the insulated wheel causing a short circuit. Foxed me for hours the first time. it doesn’t happen when connected to the plastic tender. 

Thanks for the warning about the couplng especially as I am developing a brass replacement to couple the chassis to a Bachmann G2A tender for a project I am working on

• 2 weeks later...

Stickswipe, to those not familiar provides absolutely superb kits and 'aftermarket support' of lighting kits for locomotives not initially installed with them.

Some modelling skill is definitely required, the hardest I find is drilling the holes.

I have 2x Hornby 08's I've fitted kits to, which look superb, and 2x Bachmann 08's, for which I have the kits, but have just started - this includes 'flatting' the original non-functional moulded lamps, then drilling 0.5mm holes into each of them!!  Get one right, you feel great, then realise there's another 3!!

I'd left this a while, but decided to proceed y'day - and .... success!!

Next is to continue with the kit!!  I'm going steady on this one, but the holes have been done, which is a huge bonus.

Al.

Progress continues with the Bachmann 08 kit #1 - not easy!  I hope to complete it over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Those Dapol 'Turbot' wagons continued to give issues because of the glued in small Pb shot.  I decided I had to try again.  A grinding bit was fitted to the Dremel, and off came the shot!

Al.

Posted (edited)

Seem to have lost a buffer Head on my Hattons 48XX so have Ordered some Hornby King buffers and will replace all four.

Edited by 81F

Been working on one of the Bachmann 08 Stickswipe lighting kits - found out I'd advanced where I shouldn't have, so 'alternative modelling techniques' (drilling more holes!!) are required!

I've got 2 of these - for the 2x Bachmann 08's - so once bitten .... as they say!

Al.

I took the plunge on Sunday and converted a 45 year old Dapol Pug to DCC. I runs really well and despite it's age, the motor looked brand new. It's been sat in a box for the past 20 years with a load of other DC steamers since we moved to France. I also converted a Bachmann split chassis Ivatt tank which also runs great. A few pics for you.

20240505_144122.jpg

20240505_142035.jpg

20240505_153312.jpg

20240505_191616.jpg

• Like 1

I currently have a Bachmann G2A awaiting parts. Many years ago a wire linking the tender to the loco came off and in attempting to solder it back I managed to join all the terminals together.

Since then it has sat in the drawer donating a few parts to other locos and finally its tender chassis (less electronic equipment) to a second LNWR Prince of Wales I am 3D printing.

However, while taking a closer look at loco I realised that the PCB the wire from the tender was soldered to was actually a four pin plug. After about Half an hour (it's very fiddly) I managed to plug in the spare tender I bought for my first Prince of wales and found the loco runs!

So have now just ordered another tender from bachmann spares for my 1st Prince of Wales - something of an unexpected result!

• Like 1

These three locos are currently under construction and are my first purchase from Shapeways. Left to Right they are an Andrew Barclay ‘Ogee’ tank designed to take the standard Hornby 0-4-0 inside cylindered chassis but mine is having a Bachman Greg (Percy) chassis fitted instead as I want the outside cylinders. The same designer has a number of other locos designed to take the Hornby 0-4-0 chassis and as I was paying for postage anyway I couldn’t resist this one. 

The middle loco is a long-tank Hudswell Clarke as used by the Manchester Ship Canal (and as preserves on the East Lancs Railway) amongst others. Only problem is the prototype is inside cylindered and this one is designed to use the Hornby/Jouef/Electrotren chassis. The holes in the rods are too big to take a screw on a replacement set of wheels so it looks like it’s stuck with the OC chassis with the fitting for the cylinder rods on the wheels. A later and updated version of this kit was marketed by Hardy’s Hobbies along with a short tank version which was more appropriate to the chassis but it is no longer available. 

The loco on the right is a model of the Garstang and Knott End railway ‘Knott End’ loco to go with my model of ‘Blackpool’ from the same line and again is on one of the Electrotren chassis. This was the poorest of the 3D prints and although the body is fine, the smoke box was virtually flat and I had to use a cast Manning Wardle smoke box door I bought for another project and never used. 

Lots of detailing to go on these three locos and I have just found some more handrail knobs I didn’t know I had so saves buying some!. The one I really wanted was the G&KER loco and although it’s not designed for any particular chassis the Electrotren one is very close to the prototype and was an easy fit.

Can’t wait to get them all finished!

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Like 1

Three more 3D industrial loco bodies to fit Hornby chassis arrived this week. This time from Oak Hill Works and I think all are Ex-Hardy’s Hobbies items. As I was drilling the three from Shapeways and fitting handrails I made a start on these as well but have now run out of handrail knobs so need to order some along with some smokebox darts. 

I had the Shapeways ones done in the cheapest plastic but these from Oak Hill Works seem superior in finish and are in grey resin. They were all around the same price so make a good comparison. 

First one from the left, a Kitson loco as used by various collieries and the Manchester Ship Canal amongst others. Designed to be a direct fit to a Dapol or old style Hornby Terrier chassis. The only problem I can see is that the chassis I have has a bit of a birds nest of wiring on top and needs sorting other than that the fit is perfect. 

Second one is a Fox Walker loco designed to fit the Electrotren/Jouef/Hornby 0-6-0 outside cylinder chassis. A perfect fit and a great looking industrial loco. 

Third one is a Bagnall as used at Preston Docks and various other locations. One is preserved on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite railway and I think there is one at the Ribble Steam railway as well. Designed to fit the Hornby Peckett 0-6-0 chassis but I will be modifying mine to fit the Electrotren one as I have a few spare. The wheel size is correct and the back axle is a mm or so out but close enough for me.

You might think it a bit odd to order so many at one go. I bought one of the Electrotren chassis years ago to fit an ARC model that was suddenly discontinued. I then bough a few more ready to put an order in for Hardy’s Hobbies the week they sold the business. I have a year or so’s modelling in these six locos but I know I have them!

I also resurrected two Arc models Andrew Barclay locos I started years ago on Pug chassis. They are moulded resin which warped. I think I will be able to sort them but they are lower down the priority list. The box they are in has all the detailing parts I use so I will keep getting a reminder. 

IMG_0019.jpeg

• Like 1

On the bench momentarily was my LMS Turbomotive.  She's been 'on display' for perhaps 5 or 6 months alongside where I sit.  I observed one of the front bogie axles' wheels didn't rotate when pushed and pulled along the 'display track'.  I've noticed this hardening of lubricant happening on quite a few Hornby front bogies over time - resolved easily by removal, cleaning of all surfaces, and 'light machine oil' lubrication again - all's perfect.  As indicated, there are a lot of Hornby locomotives I've had to do this to, to free-up the axles again, and it's not due to the wheels being pushed into the bogie.

My 2nd Bachmann 08 shunter lighting kit installation has finally started.  Body removal of these does seem to be via 'some persuasion', which worked once again.  There's a wire at the front which loops around, and I found simply push-fits into one set of the steps, so this was removed which permitted full body removal.

This time I've been able to remove the cab from the body - a requirement to the kit installation.  As the external lamp holes have already been drilled, the main installation should be a fair bit more straightforward than the first time!  ETA perhaps this time next week - no hurry.

Al.

OK I lied!!

Job done.  Lighting kit installed and 08 #4 reassembled.

That's left me with 2x Hornby SD and 2x Bachmann shunters, all with lighting - great stuff!

(The Bachmann one was the 'more challenging' installation.)

Al.

Hi Rana

Nice looking tank locomotives you got there, it makes one think why can't Hornby do the same and produce real types of tank locos for the 040t and 060t chassis they make rather than the freelance makes, even if they are just for club members. 

Another busy weekend. 6 Hornby Ringfield tender drive loco's that have been in a box since 2004 are now all fitted with Lais DCC decoders. They run well too. Some of the early motors are really easy to convert as there is no screw into the motor body. To my surprise, the two 8F's have firebox glow. I've got an unused Lima Crab to convert next. Onwards and upwards. 

20240512_172209.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/05/2024 at 17:48, Tony57 said:

Hi Rana

Nice looking tank locomotives you got there, it makes one think why can't Hornby do the same and produce real types of tank locos for the 040t and 060t chassis they make rather than the freelance makes, even if they are just for club members. 

Thanks Tony, I have been saying this for years. Hornby could offer a cheap or free download for people to print themselves, maybe to club members, offer a basic shell ready printed or add a detailing pack. they already have the CAD for the chassis and then are guaranteed to sell a donor loco or a chassis if they offer them as spares, or enough parts to build one. A number of other firms are offering them and making a profit so why not? There are a number of options for the ‘pocket rocket’ chassis on Shapeways and Budget Model Railways do a range on non-prototypical but good looking locos that use it. There was a diesel shunter body that was available and built in one of the mags a long time ago. I don’t know if it’s still available? Some of the free download sites have a number of other 0-4-0 locos designed to use the Hornby chassis.

If you then look at Shapeways, Oak Tree Works etc. lots of other options to fit Hornby RTR chassis from both Pecketts, the Terrier, the pug, the Ruston etc. Great opportunities for learning new skills and supporting the producers of handrail knobs, smokebox dates and the like. 

The G2A is back in one piece and now working with a new 21 pin chip. Unfortunately I had lost the original tender body screws and have been unable to obtain spares. However, after measuring the bolts on another G2A, I have bought some M1.6 x 10mm bolts off ebay which do the job and have now ordered some custom LNWR number plates.

• Like 1

The Lima Crab is now converted to DCC and running well.

I also wired an old Hornby Ivatt 2MT X04 motor type and a split chassis Bachmann Royal Scot ready for decoders, sadly frying a Hornby decoder in the process, it literally went up in smoke, my fault for getting a wire wrong.

Here's the Lima which appears to have never been used.

20240519_164303.jpg

• Like 1

The Lima OO locos were great for the time they were produced, I still have a few including a couple of Crabs and expect them to virtually last forever. There is one version of the Crab (I think it is a maroon one) that has an HO body as it was going to form part of the British HO range that Lima were introducing before they realised we mainly use OO. 

Main problem I have had with Lima locos is the Mazak weight expanding and damaging the bodies/jamming the wheels. A few taps with a lump hammer sorts that (with the weight taken out of the loco obviously!). 

Many of the Lima diesels were re-introduced by Hornby in the Railroad range with a new drive unit. 

I have recently done two Ivatt 2MTs, but cheated in that I replaced both X04s with a Peters Spares upgrade which uses a can motor with both terminals insulated from the chassis. Also gave a bit more room for the chip and wires.