What's on your workbench?

81F

I did forget to mention about the Mazak problem with the Lima Crab. Actually, I have 2 of them and the loco body weights in both were deformed so much that the driving wheels did indeed lock. I took them out and filed them flat, which solved the problem. Likewise, the tender weights had expanded a bit, so I filed them down too.

• Like 1

I had the mazak problem on a Lima Crab and spent time sorting it out only to find that the blessed thing was HO, not OO. It simply had not the stature and presence of a whitemetal kit version on a Hornby chassis that I picked up for a song at an antiques fair(!) so sadly it had to go. Shame really because it's a nice model. 

5 hours ago, threelink said:

I had the mazak problem on a Lima Crab and spent time sorting it out only to find that the blessed thing was HO, not OO. It simply had not the stature and presence of a whitemetal kit version on a Hornby chassis that I picked up for a song at an antiques fair(!) so sadly it had to go. Shame really because it's a nice model. 

That prompted me to take a look. I placed it next to my Bachmann version and you are right, the Lima sits slightly lower. The HO thought hadn't crossed my mind.

Maybe I'll put it at the far side of the shed, perspective and all that!

I have bought a Bachmann Class 08 (32-121) and it was very sluggish to move. Had to wait for seller to confirm from ebay before I can attempt to do a service. The wheel shaft had dried grease and lot of black stuff on wheels. After I cleaned them the Loco ran better but still not to my satisfaction, I intend to change the wheels because they are quite worn out. I am hoping after replacing them Loco will run much better. My other Hornby or Bachmann runs much better then this loco.WhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10_47.thumb.jpeg.ab82ce7357b306e0b21b214cf0f8a847.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10_51.thumb.jpeg.48d35813dffadc7d5743b6d988d016f7.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10_50.thumb.jpeg.edd95ab0a218eeff973c25c4a98a77d1.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10.50(2).thumb.jpeg.78d4d7282c6791884c02ecad0cff96ac.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10.51(2).thumb.jpeg.d5e810b888868dd36f804407a042608b.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10.51(4).thumb.jpeg.565c995af93aebb6695092c1d1cfa12a.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-05-22at18_10.51(3).thumb.jpeg.fe4510fd643f62e2e991e6f11fb5a229.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 18.10.51 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-22 at 18.10.50 (1).jpeg

Unusual.

I have 2x Bachmann and 2x Hornby SD 08's.

Agreed with Sam's Trains' comparison, the Hornby runs slower, perhaps smoother, but not by much.  My Bachmann ones have hours and hours under their belts without issue, Hornby ones both required replacement motors!

Dried grease is unfortunately normal for older locomotives and is best removed - can block the indents of the gears and restrict operation in the worst case scenarios.

My guess is she was rockin' and rollin' around track which wasn't the cleanest as well.  Once the hardened grease is removed from areas which could restrict movement / performance, stating the obvious, a little dab of suitable grease on the gears will help a little, and a few drops of oil on the movement - usual disclaimers apply.

Al.

• Thanks 1

@LesXRN

I'm not familiar with the Bachmann Crab but the Lima version not only sat lower than the kit/Hornby version, it was a lot narrower and shorter. In addition the Lima version lacked the discrepancy in width between the loco and tender, as displayed by the prototype .

The other point was that the kit/Hornby version would pull the side out of a house whereas  by comparison the Lima version did not pull so well. Still a nice model though. I like your idea of forced perspective.

On 22/05/2024 at 19:21, atom3624 said:

Unusual.

I have 2x Bachmann and 2x Hornby SD 08's.

Agreed with Sam's Trains' comparison, the Hornby runs slower, perhaps smoother, but not by much.  My Bachmann ones have hours and hours under their belts without issue, Hornby ones both required replacement motors!

Dried grease is unfortunately normal for older locomotives and is best removed - can block the indents of the gears and restrict operation in the worst case scenarios.

My guess is she was rockin' and rollin' around track which wasn't the cleanest as well.  Once the hardened grease is removed from areas which could restrict movement / performance, stating the obvious, a little dab of suitable grease on the gears will help a little, and a few drops of oil on the movement - usual disclaimers apply.

Al.

The ebay seller have issued partial refund to reflect the cost of wheel replacement which is 17 inclusive of vat plus 5 for the postage from bachmann direct. I will order today and once I receive the wheel set, I will dismantle the whole loco to clean all the old grease, install new fresh grease, oil on shaft and run the loco, hopefully update you all here as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Modified packaging to accommodate the canopy

large.ModifiedPackagingInsert.jpg.e91b39174dbb1acc48c6b709616f4008.jpg

It may not be as pretty as the manufactured cuts, but it is entirely serviceable.

One question.  What is the material specification used to guard the model from the foam?  The thin silky pastic film.

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee
Random extra character removed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mentioned earlier the Hornby 08 motors seemed a little temperamental - one of them has failed again, so another motor ordered from Kernow.

This was the one which seemed to go a lot faster than 'it should', so was possibly a faulty motor.

There are 2 options - the original in a separate cradle, and the modified 'M' variant, with a built in (pre-mounted) cradle.  Should have it fitted by the weekend.

Al.

56 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I mentioned earlier the Hornby 08 motors seemed a little temperamental - one of them has failed again, so another motor ordered from Kernow.

This was the one which seemed to go a lot faster than 'it should', so was possibly a faulty motor.

There are 2 options - the original in a separate cradle, and the modified 'M' variant, with a built in (pre-mounted) cradle.  Should have it fitted by the weekend.

Al.

Can I have the part numbers of both motors, so I can keep them for any future issue?

The motor numbers are X9362 for models up to R2419 (the three first-release locos) and X9362M for any with a higher R-number - at least as far as R3037 as per Service Sheets 278E (and 363 for the XS sound locos) which have not been updated since 2010.  Whether any later releases since R3037 have incorporated further modifications can be ascertained only by checking the model itself or contacting Hornby.

While the Hornby website gives the - now somewhat out-of-date - ability to check Service Sheets by model R-number, both Lendons' and New Modellers Shop's websites have a more comprehensive and up-to-date Service Sheet resource. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Deem said:

Can I have the part numbers of both motors, so I can keep them for any future issue?

Hornby X9362 - older format which requires a separate cradle - motor appears the same.

Hornby X9362M - modified, later version with built-in cradle.

Don't pay more than £20.00.

If you have the Bachmann 08, I've found that the internal weight can get caught by the worm - the sides and top / roof part are OK, the part next to the end of the worm gets caught slightly.  I cut this part out of my 2x Bachmann 08's and they're much better for it.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hornby X9362 - older format which requires a separate cradle - motor appears the same.

Hornby X9362M - modified, later version with built-in cradle.

Don't pay more than £20.00.

If you have the Bachmann 08, I've found that the internal weight can get caught by the worm - the sides and top / roof part are OK, the part next to the end of the worm gets caught slightly.  I cut this part out of my 2x Bachmann 08's and they're much better for it.

Al.

Lendon of Cardiff have these for:

X9362M for £17.98 Plus postage

X9362    for £14.98 Plus postage

I think I may even have one in my new part stock, if not then it is always worth keeping one for rainy days.

On 23/05/2024 at 20:56, Deem said:

The ebay seller have issued partial refund to reflect the cost of wheel replacement which is 17 inclusive of vat plus 5 for the postage from bachmann direct. I will order today and once I receive the wheel set, I will dismantle the whole loco to clean all the old grease, install new fresh grease, oil on shaft and run the loco, hopefully update you all here as well.

Just out of curiosity, where else I can buy Bachmann Parts other then Bachmann, Hornby parts are available from number of retailers but not many retailers have Bachmann parts or I have not come across any of them.

13 hours ago, Going Spare said:

ekmexhibitions.co.uk have a good number of Bachmann parts, mainly for obsolete models, both UK and American.

Thanks GS, I knew about EKMEXBITIONS and forgotten about them, however they don't no wheels set for Bachmann Class 08.

I generally find the Bachmann site very helpful - for locating parts / refs. - and also on prices, with very good availabilities of spares.

The only relative downside is the P&P - can double small part pricing, so that 'make a list on a whiteboard' idea is always good, just my impatience cannot deal with that!

I've encountered EKM before but not certain if I've used them.  Nice to know there are alternatives nevertheless - keeps people 'on their toes', if you know what I mean!

Al.

Posted (edited)

A Toad has been on my bench, or a brakevan which looks like Toad (of Thomas the Tank fame).

Reason?  I'd purchased a couple of movement sensitive flashing red lamp kits, so finally fitted one - and part melted the brake handle when soldering, oops!!

It's a roof off job, drill a couple of tiny holes for the pins, then solder wires inside the van ...

Kit is fantastic!!  Super sensitive to movement.  I tried the most gentle start possible with an Accurascale 37 - couldn't fool the kit!! As soon as the movement started, lamp was flashing!  (I'll try it with an 08 next!!)

I forget which kit - one of these: https://railsofsheffield.com/products/train-tech-ttal21-automatic-lighting-effects-flashingconstant-dual?variant=35451092238408&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google%2Bshopping&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0_WyBhDMARIsAL1Vz8uh8ZuzXQXj5JFg6r1EdAuoh3Gc-wzZTmTFPT2v7_R9y1rdcVZwA-IaAnJ6EALw_wcB

It is battery powered, but powers off after perhaps 2 minutes once stationary!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

I have a real problem with a Silver Fox Co-Bo. It seems to run perfectly on DC bit it struggleds to get going oDCC and frequently stops.

I have serviced the motor which helps but it tended to overload. The chip also got vey hot to the extent I burned myself on it

Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2024 at 06:41, atom3624 said:

Just tried the slowest and smoothest of starts with an 08 - light still starts flashing!!  Excellent.

Have you run it on DC with a multimeter in series and checked the current draw?

Edited by ntpntpntp