Unable to install Elink Driver on new Windows 10 laptop, please help?

Ray, hi, thats not strictly right, as any new elink bought now, presently could have connection problem, if attached to new windows 10 laptop. as with this poster. I do totally sympathise with you, and others. Could we obtain from HRMS, what is in the update, as it may well be  that some/ if not all your probs, were not going to be addressed  anyway. and if thats the case, you are no worse off, by waiting, if you see what i mean. john

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been told not to, so here are the release notes for 1.62 beta:

Hornby RailMaster 1.62 Release Notes - August 2015=============================================The latest release of RailMaster is a maintenance release.  This update continues to make RailMaster more robust and reliable.● +Minor enhancements and bug fixes - a couple outstanding to be resolved for the next update● +Loco decoders added: Gaugemaster, ZIMO, Lenz, Train$ave, SoundTraxx, MyLocoSound, LaisDCC● +Added Littfinski accessory decoders● +Pro-Pack unlock code now shown on About screen with main RailMaster and hand-held keys● +Improvements made to Repeat .. End Repeat program command accuracy● +Current as well as registered email address on key reset request form in case they are different● +Movement/resizing cursor added to button bar to avoid miss-hitting buttons● +When "All" locos selected from groups, group name shown on loco name (tooltip)● +Added Railmaster.ini command "Double pulse=0" to send single pulses to point motors● +Printing CVs list only prints those with read values● +Improved RailMaster networking (PCs)● +Allows right-click on mark all button to un-mark program lines for testing● +Checks for time missing on program lines when saving and warns user● +Program screen auto-scrolls when moving line up/down beyond top/bottom● +You can now select a block of program lines to mark/un-mark for test running in program editing● +Added & profiled locos: R1169 Tornado, R3169 Olton Hall, R3170 Adderley Hall, R3287 Class 47 TTS● +Added passing loop track plan sample for Pro-Pack users● +Tested on several hardware platforms with Windows 10● +Guides in all languages updated for version 1.62

... I think HRMS are passing the buck here ...

I find it very disappointing when someone suggests that.

HRMS have shown time and time again (read the forum) that they are willing to go to great lengths to get users up and running but when they have had a system that worked perfectly well with previous issues of windows, it cannot possibly be the fault of HRMS when Microsoft release a new windows system that prevents it running.  It can be seen from the HRMS reply that they are even trying to find a workaround to the Microsoft problem, which presumably will turn out to be wasted effort if Microsoft then fix the problem.

Hi, well the dust has settled a little and it is clear there are some passionate people on this forum.  The original point of this post was to get my locos on the move with my new windows 10 laptop. It appears this is not going to happen due to a Microsoft USB serial port driver although developed by a third party.

When people read comments they usually are bios towards a purpose, manufacturer or employer. In this instance I am neither and just would like my locos to run.

Hornby RailMaster Support is right to defend his product, although nothing is aimed at an individual, but I obviously did not explain myself well enough. Companies who wish to survive in todays commercial or retail environments need to supply a product which is affordable, easy to use and easy to install on any computer. Other products are sold as plug and play. Yes they do what it says on the tin. Plug it in and away you go. I know this technology costs money and this is where my comment “keeping up with the times” came from.

I hope this issue is resolved soon as this will affect future sales, which is not good for any company. I hope I have not offended anyone in anyway but the proof is in the pudding, let’s see how long it takes to sort out my inactive RailMaster.

... the clue is in the companies name. 

A easier clue is the fact that if you click through to the RailMaster help site from the top thread in the RailMaster section, it takes you to the same website.

... My two printers wouldn't work with W10 although one had worked first time through XP to W8 and neither does my iPad ...

Have you been on to the Printer and iPad manufactures to complain like some people on here have been complaining to Hornby that the elink doesn't work.  (I am pretty sure I know the answer!)

GWR Greg, thamks, Ray, are these the tweaks you need, or are you still in need of others. john

Hi John,

No, my main problem, which I reported months ago, is still not shown as fixed in those 1.62 release notes.

They have stated in the past that they can't reproduce the problem, but at least two other Forum members have done so using a couple of small test programs which I provided.

Ray

... My two printers wouldn't work with W10 although one had worked first time through XP to W8 and neither does my iPad ...

Have you been on to the Printer and iPad manufactures to complain like some people on here have been complaining to Hornby that the elink doesn't work.  (I am pretty sure I know the answer!)

Got the printers to work by downloading drivers. iPad will work one day. I only wanted to download some pictures. I can wait. 

And your right, I rang Apple two weeks ago and they said they'd transfer me to somebody who gave a damn, I'm still on hold, how long should I wait before I hang up? 

We have been doing additional work over the Bank holiday weekend on resolving the issue surrounding the Windows 10 update and the bug in the Microsoft USB serial port driver.  Signs are enouraging.

Would those who continue to have problems initialising their eLinks under Windows 10, who have not already done so, please send us an email and we will let you know how you can try out the latest fix.

Just to let you all know the dedication HRMS are putting into resolving this issue, they e-mailed me at 20:24 last night to ask me if I would download and test the latest fix.  I downloaded it and successfully tested it on my Win10 test system and responded, to then get a thank you reply from them at 23:22, so when they say they are working around the clock they are not fibbing!

Some interesting reading here about the problem http://octaviancs.com/railmaster/windows10issues.php?id=windows10issues

As others have noted... yip... this is my site... the Help Site listed at the top of the RailMaster sub-forum.

I was about to replace or amend a lot of info on there with some extra info but as HRMS are progressing with possible fixes I will hold off for a while aside from from saying I have been attempting to rewrite the driver and associated files within RM and the Windows INF directory.

I have now correctly downloaded the latest version of 1.62 beta having previously followed HRMS insturctions to set new elink software and additional line to ini file.. I can confirm that RM loads and works under W10. There is a however. It takes many minutes to load pausing for several seconds at various points. Last time took 5 minutes. I have reported to HRMS so hopefully they can sort this out. In the meantime I shall put up with the long load time. I have copied this to other W10 posts.

I'm having the same problem with the handshake between RM and the eLink - how do I find the new drivers?

TIA

Simply send an email to support@rail-master.com asking for the latest link to attempt a fix for this issue. They should reply quite quickly with that link so follow ALL instructions very carefully to have the best chance of success.

Hi John,

No, my main problem, which I reported months ago, is still not shown as fixed in those 1.62 release notes.

They have stated in the past that they can't reproduce the problem, but at least two other Forum members have done so using a couple of small test programs which I provided.

Ray

Hello Ray

Reading this really concerns me but, I must not jump to conclusions, I must wait until I have my layout to be put down for me so that I can test it when RM 1.62 is available.  It is so frustrating when I have to wait and rely on others to do this things but I have no option, hopefully it will be down and playable again in the next 7 days.

Can anyone confirm where I can see/obtain the RM 1.62 release notes?

I feel it would be wrong for me to comment at this stage, having not had chance to test my system, except to say, after extensive testing early in the year 'with HRMS' they did replicate my problem with signals not working correctly 'back down the line', and I am using signals recommended by Hornby as they are the easiest to set up! 

Archived