What happened to the rest?

Yug

Having returned to modeling after 40 years, I couldn't help but notice the range has some glaring omissions. Gone are the b17s b29s, Mitchells Hudsons Bostons, no Russian or Italian planes and where's the mighty Boomerang  ? Spitfires and Lancasters by the dozen. 

The market is different to 40 years ago and there is greater rotation in the ranges of all kit companies - if sales of something drop off, it gets dropped to make way for something else. A kit range is usually a reflection of what sells.The Hudson, Boston and B-25 have been reissued within Hornby's tenure, and there's an all-new B-17 coming in 2016.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/5889/

[snip]

The Hudson by Revell and MPM is the same kit. It has also been boxed by Italeri. It's considered a short run kit.

The Revell Boston is probably the old Matchbox kit, although they do have their own A-20 kit. The MPM and Special Hobby are the same basic plastic parts and again is more of a short run kit.

The Hudson by Revell and MPM is the same kit. It has also been boxed by Italeri. It's considered a short run kit. The Revell Boston is probably the old Matchbox kit, although they do have their own A-20 kit. The MPM and Special Hobby are the same basic plastic parts and again is more of a short run kit.

I think VMA, the original poster was referring to the Airfix range rather than the market in general.

Yug, the Yak-9 and PE-2 were also reissued within Hornby's tenure, so almost everything you listed has been available up until recently, bar the Boomerang which was reissued in 2002 under Humbrol. Sadly you've come back just as they've been rotatetd for other stuff!

• 3 months later...

I get the nostalgia thing, I really do - I yearn for the days when I was young and was so excited to get an Airfix kit. But things change and with a money-making company, they have to change. This is all tied in with a separate discussion I started last year: Airfix needs to make money to survive and they simply cannot exist on nostalgia from a few, continuing to sell the horrendous kits of the 70s.

Come to today and a new customer buys an Airfix kit, because that's all he knows. He has high hopes but gets home with a poor fitting, inaccurate kit. Misshapen parts, questionable surface detail. Is he going to buy another? Probably not. He buys a new DC3 or Hurricane and the thing is clean, sharp, accurate, fits well, a joy to build. Going to buy another? Probably yes.

If they are to survive, Airfix have to compete. That's the bottom line. They have no choice. In that they have, thankfully, raised their game remarkably and, whilst not perfect in some areas (instructions for one are at times lacking), are now producing kits that can compete with some of the best, kits that the whole range of modeller from beginner to experienced will buy. Case in point, upon my return to modelling I would actively avoid any Airfix kits, only buying known Far East manufacturers or not bothering at all. Thankfully the new-tool Sea Vixen opened my eyes to (only) new-tool Airix kits.

Hopefully Airfix will work their way through the most popular of the kits of the olden days as well as new and surprising ones and whilst of course it's up to the individual which kits he buys, Airfix have to compete against the best and they're not going to do that by producing kits that were past their prime 30 years ago.

Airfix needs to make money to survive and they simply cannot exist on nostalgia from a few, continuing to sell the horrendous kits of the 70s.

But the dichotomy is that some of those old, enthustiast-hated, putting-off-future-modellers kits still sell and sell very well. Sure, some of them need replacing, and you'd not want to rely solely on them, but they still sell.

I have just asked my 9-year-old grandson what makes him decide to do modelling. He said when he feels like it. I asked about fit, accuracy and scale. None of these factors bothered him, an ill-fitting kit would not stop him building another kit, accuracy is of no concern. He knows the Airfix brand and given a choice will pick the box with the more exciting action on it to fuel his imagination when playing with the model.

I just happen to be building a Dragon M4A4 Sherman and stood an old Airfix Sherman beside it. Disregarding the bits that have broken on the ancient model (his 6-y-o brother has been playing with it), he couldn't say which was better in any respect. He thought the Dragon better because it was less dusty, but hadn't noticed these were different scales. I suspect lots of youngsters are like him (box art influenced me as a youngster). They see kits as toys and not scale models in the way we elder statemen do. They are toys that are fun to build and fun to play with - not to sit on a shelf gathering dust. The 6yo loves playing with my builds - I have to keep my favoured ones out of his reach - and he loves it when I give him soldiers for his collection. He fights battles all over the conservatory floor disregarding the mix of scales and time periods, they are just soldiers he likes. Perhaps we shouldthink of the Airfix market differently. We older modellers are but a small percentage of the market, and while carefree youngsters make up the majority Airfix are right to cater for their requirements (while factoring in our requests in the new toolings).

I guess the new 'Lego' kits are their answer to this opportunity - and maybe the wargamers would welcome easy-to-assemble models of limited complexity and small size. I was surprised at the detail on the tiny Shermans supplied with Pegasus' 1:144 War Of The Wolds diorama kit which my small son enjoyed building. They consisted of only four parts each. You could put together a whole division in an afternoon.

We older modellers are but a small percentage of the market, and while carefree youngsters make up the majority Airfix are right to cater for their requirements (while factoring in our requests in the new toolings).

I can't comment on that because I honestly don't know, at the same time I would be mildly surprised to find out that was the truth.

However, whilst what you say about children not caring for fit, accuracy or detail might be true enough, I don't think that takes any of what I believe in away from me. No child stays a child forever and your grandchildren will grow up (awwww, I know!). I can't speak for them of course, but if they stay with modelling (let's hope they do, I truly think it's fantastic you are able to support them and even model with them) they will perhaps become far more discerning and maybe by their mid-teens (or even earlier) they might start to see the shortfalls in the older Airfix kits and do what I did: go for the known higher-quality kit end of the market because they know they are going to get a decent product. In short, Airfix are going to do themselves no favours by continually releasing their ancient kits because a few modellers remember them from their childhoods (myself included) who wish to relive those days. How I used to desire all the kits I desired from the Airfix catalogue in those days and yes even now it would be great to try and recreate those Saturday afternoons before even Swapshop; but it simply isn't practical for Airfix in the model market of today.

I honestly don't know nothing about the composition or distribution of Airfix customers and modellers in general, but any company needs this data to succeed. Polls and statistics are good tools to provide such information and help to keep current customers and target new markets. I'm pretty sure Hornby/Airfix have this kind of information and update it often.

Indeed Bruce. It's important to remember through all of this, which could reinforce my point, that with the quality of the Czech kits now on the market - as well as any number of 'new' manufacturers - how could Airfix hope to soldier on with its old kits? I have a couple of 1/48 FRS1 Harriers from a new (to me anyway) manufacturer which has apparently knocked all all other versions into the long grass, though I have yet to discover this myself. Why would I buy the old Airfix or Tamiya kit, both of which need varying amounts of work, if this one builds up easily and accurately?

I feel I should respond to one of your points in that there is a difference between a toy shop and a model shop. Toy shops can still have a good range of model manufacturers and kits, though of course a model shop should actually exceed toy shops, so one can't really blame a toy shop person being unaware of the lesser-known manufacturers. My town's model shop, a welcome opening a couple of years ago, is run by a keen modeller but he can't stock all he'd like due to his small shop. He knows his manufacturers, though.

Personally I was put off Airfix kits because of their fit. I knew that in the main (Tamiya Harrier for one!) the newer releases from Japanese manufacturers went together well with the minimum of fuss. Thankfully Airfix have turned this around and are now producing really good quality kits that people want. I will happily buy new-tool Airfix now because they do go together well with little fuss. Your first time modeller immediately thinks 'Airfix' and will buy a new-tool, be pleased with its result and likely to buy another.

As I say, I am absolutely not knocking the nostalgia purchase because I love the thought myself, but Airfix is sitll a commerical company that has to make a profit. Any loss-making kits have to be subsidised by profit making ones; I maintain the view that Airfix cannot rely on nostalgia alone.

I thought we "older modellers" were the market-we're the ones with the money and we often then add all those extras to the basic purchase.Take a look around at the next model show you go to-sure there'll be a few youngsters there but the majority(50%+) will be WMAM's.I know manufactuers have to appeal to and grow a future market cos we're not going to be here forever are we but how I dont know-surely some of those youngsters just stick with it and gradually become the next generation of "older modellers"? I have 2 grandsons who I tried to get involved but I couldnt-yet they loved/still love lego and all those merchanised movie tie-ins-they'd play with models I'd made but building them didnt appeal but give them a Harry Potter or Star Wars lego set and they'd sit for hours building like good uns-beats me! 

To finish on a high-I was in MJR models Westhoughton(no connection) a few months ago and a young boy came in with his mum and little sister with his saved up pocket money looking for a red arrows hawk-sounded like his dad was a modeller and had passed it on-boy's face looking at the boxart-priceless! 

Reliable sources within the Trade say that we experienced modellers make up approx 15% of the market. Why would I make it up? You may not believe it, but that's what their market research and sales show. Why do you think that Airfix issue so many gift sets - they're not aimed at us older modellers.

Why do you think that Airfix issue so many gift sets - they're not aimed at us older modellers.

Oh, yes they are - they're aimed squarely at us old 'uns who buy them in sackfuls come X'mas in hopes of infecting a young nephew or two with the 'bug' - oblivious to the rolling eyes of the parents and spouses.

• 2 months later...

Everyone of a certain age (myself included) likes a bit of nostalgia 

Certain old molds should be left at peace though as some re-issues are not helping notalgia by being short shot full of flash ot badly warped to the point hot water doesn't work only more drastic measures such as a razor saw!!!

That said though some newer molds arn't fault free ....nature or the beast i think!

I have just asked my 9-year-old grandson what makes him decide to do modelling. He said when he feels like it. I asked about fit, accuracy and scale. None of these factors bothered him, an ill-fitting kit would not stop him building another kit, accuracy is of no concern. He knows the Airfix brand and given a choice will pick the box with the more exciting action on it to fuel his imagination when playing with the model...

Thing is some will say that you can ONLY have what sells. not 'your requirement, or 'favourite', and if you dont like that, well, you can just go lump it. Some choice.

So even though I already happen to know that Airfix is a business, maybe it would be nice for those older bombers (or 54 mm figures please !)  to have an outing slightly more occasionally, via the semi-abortive Kitstarter idea to provide for one or two slots in the catalogue, (sorry yearbook), rather than stand-alone production ? Im sure that could be something more tangible for Airfix customers to vote for, and be exciting.

Admin edit: Please don't be rude to other members

Did you even read my post Stu?

Kids build what they fancy when they fancy doing it. Grandson No.2 asked me to get him some cowboys and indians. He then asked me to paint them for him, although he did help me the other day. He will take great enjoyment when playing with them. It doesn't matter that they're old, second hand, broken, with bits missing. They are what he wants!

There are many subjects I would like Airfix to produce- but you just have to be realistic... Airfix needs to sell stuff, as 'devteam' indicated on another thread... Maybe when Airfix are selling millions of kits they'll indulge in some whimsical kit, until then....

I do like feanors idea of voting for one kit a year though- although giving a free reign to forum members could be a hiding to nothing- Just look what happened when they asked for ideas for 'Kitstarter' and indeed the wishlists!

Archived