Goods Trains

LCDR

Yes a DCC brake van,  with a smoky chimney, tail and sidelights  and a guard who can be made to wave his green flag before the train moves off !! :-)

No, seriously, even some more of the long discontinued ex Lima wagons brought up to date, (e.g. the  PTA 102 tonne Iron Ore but now with correct both inner and outers, the 'Grainflow' bulk grain, the PDA bogie depressed centre cement tank wagon but with corrected body mounting). But preferrably some new types, such as -  

S.R. banana van,

S.R. meat van 

S.R. cattle van, 

L.M.S. steel bodied van,

L.M.S. glass wagon,

L.M.S. / B.R. 20t Coke Hopper

L.N.E.R Iron Ore Hopper

L.N.E.R. (NER) 'XX' 20 ton wood bodied coal hopper,

L.N.E.R twin bolster

G.W.R 'Mica' meat van

G.W.R. Gunpowder Van 'Cone'

G.W.R 'Loriot N' / B.R. 'Lowmac WW' machine wagon

B.R. welded 21 ton coal hopper

B.R. Bogie Flatrol

B.R. Rectank

B.R. Conflat 'L' and 'L' containers (3)

B.R. (LMS) 22 ton plate wagon, which can also donate the chassis to a KRV coil carrier, 

B.R. SPA Air Braked Plate Wagon

W.D. Warwell

Plenty to choose from!

I know that I have said this before (in fact I am saying a lot of things that I have said before, I must be getting old) but I really think that there is a gap in the market for more ordinary wagons. The Hornby coal wagons are all a bit “of their time” and are ripe for replacement, especially if they came with a convincing but easily removable load.

As far as I know none of the big makers offer an open 5 plank wagon covered by a tarpaulin yet these was one of the most common wagons on the steam railway. Surely this could be made very convincingly with modern techniques.

Perhaps a bit of gentle education would help to stimulate the market.

As far as I know none of the big makers offer an open 5 plank wagon covered by a tarpaulin yet these was one of the most common wagons on the steam railway. Surely this could be made very convincingly with modern techniques.

A sheeted load shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of even the most mediocre modeller, as all you need is paper.  The shheted wagons at the start of this video clip were all done this way, and as you can see, doing it oneself allows for greater variety than a commercial one ever could.

Sheeting is undoubtedly a very good way to add variety to a goods train, and you can buy printed sheets with the correct lettering to suit your chosen railway. Sheets were used not just the 5 plank open but on a wide variety of stock, including vans and containers to protect the load from a leaky roof! In the Rotherham area we despatched loads of steel products to the USA but because of the freezing up of the St. Lawrence seaway we had to store a lot of loads until Spring, when all hell broke loose. To reduce corrosion all this steel stored on wagons was sheeted. So we had Bogie Bolsters, Coil wagons, Pipe Wagons, Tube Wagons and of course Highs all stood around with sheets over them. Our travelling Chargeman was deputed to visit the sites where these wagons were stored, to check all was OK and we had a gang of men with a van called 'The Sheet Motor' who went out to replace or re-secure sheets that had been damaged or displaced.

A few wagon types had special fixed sheet supporters, thes were called HyBars. And some coil carriers had a permanent sheet and three sheet bars that surrounded the load.

I'll post a few pictures.

I expect nothing, and I can buy a lot of what I list as kits which I do enjoy putting together anyway. However I firmly believe it would be in Hornby's interests not to overlook the demand for quality models, not just of locos and coaches, to create a comprehensive range.  Added to that the competition do offer a much more comprehensive range of realistic rolling stock, which leaves the Hornby range looking a little tired and perhaps even naive.

I agree that there have been some good items, for example the Shark plough brake, the Trout ballast hopper, the LNER and LMS CCTs. But there has been a couple of 'own goals' too, not least the 21 ton coal hopper which is incomplete.  I have raised this earlier but a truely useful vehicle has been spoiled by the omission of the lower set of handrails, which were actually incorporated on their earlier 'Tope' model which was based upon a cut down 21 ton hopper wagon.

Look at this picture of a former LNER diagram 100 rivetted 21 ton hopper (which became BR diagram 143) and compare it with the latest Hornby offering and you will see what I mean.

/media/tinymce_upload/af63edde2abd4eaa29c59f8bbd6f03fd.jpg

This is also an example of a wagon sold by BR to the NCB for further use. It now carried a livery of  red with white lettering, despite rust, having formerly been painted BR unfitted stock grey.

A sheeted load shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of even the most mediocre modeller, as all you need is paper.  The shheted wagons at the start of this video clip were all done this way, and as you can see, doing it oneself allows for greater variety than a commercial one ever could.

It works better with freezer bag don't forget to paint the inside before sticking down,  and a bit of folded card to get the tarp rail peak.

regards John

Hi all

Polly wants a cracker 

Grouping brake vans NE like the short Triang one LMS brake van GW brake van SR / LBSC Brake van

EX HR/ LMS brake van EX NB brake van both LNER and Wemmes version, NCB brake van hey they have made NCB loco's and wagons so where's the van to finish the train. BR "No not that one" and B&MT perhaps ??

3 plank fish wagon there used to be a lot of these, open carriage truck with carriage Pig iron wagon with pigs

EX HR open sheep wagon something very different round and peak topped opens some six wheeled freight stock

that isn't milk or sausages they did exist

Hearse van high sided Hay wagon Potable water tanker.

Perhaps the odd looking one of MSLR van I mean the real one

Don't know if this one existed in the UK water gin for steam loco water

Wagon set for stevensons rocket.

Realy just for a laugh a dragon van and coach for the vestial virgins in a pack

More pre grouping wagons

regards John

Yes I know 2e0, admin might just as well do away with the sub headings. 

This is purely a case of topic creep, if you look at my original post I was simply asking the Engine Shed team to  comment upon what they had in mind for goods rolling stock.  If you analyse some of previous threads  including some by the people grumbling about this now, you will find that they too have contributed to topic creep in past threads.

Why make additional work for admin having to audit and move /delete posts that have innocently strayed from the original intention?

You could equally argue that this post has now crept into Forum Feedback.

I suggest we now draw this  to a close, as I was the original poster I got what I intended in that the Engine Shed team have been made aware of my request. Nuf said!

I hope the admin can put this topic into the "Wishlists" section and then open up a new thread titled "The Engine Shed - Suggestions"

I hope not JBM, surely a Wishlist is a Wishlist. 

I don't see the issue with my suggestion? All I meant was start a new topic for us so that they know what we'd like to see in a future edition of "The Engine Shed". It's by no means a wishlist but a suggestions thread for what we want to see.

Eg: In that sort of thread I'd like to see if Hornby can show us round one of their factories? Or If Hornby can show some production images like from plastic pellets to finished products? Or behind the scenes at their offices...?

Archived