What new models would you want to see if you are an LNER enthusiast?

LCDR

The LNER hasn't done too badly just of late, what with the new B1 and B17, the L1 and the reissued N2 in a set, but there surely must be some that haven't appeared that cry out to be added to the ranges.

Being a heavy freight railway there should

be an LNER 0-8-0 (Q6 or Q7?) and some of the ubiquitous 0-6-0s (J11 (pop-pom), J15, J21, or J27). The 4-4-0 is a useful secondary type there have been suggestions that the D11 would be popular or a D16 and these being inside cylinder types would be simple

straight forward models. It was suggested that at one time Hornby were contemplating an N7 and even went so far as a mock up. This would be a good alternative to the N2. The little J69 0-6-0T would also be a pretty addition, and even though am a Southern man

I might also find room for one on my layout to work specials off the East London line!

Any views?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P1, P2, the solitary U1 class LNER Beyer Garratt, A2/3 Thompson Rebuilds, Rebuilt A10 Great Northern, REbuilt W1 and UNrebuilt W1(same loco), V1 V2, V3, V4B16, B16 Rebuild, B12/3(new model), K1, K2, K3, K4. D-34, D16/3 Claud Hamilton, D11/2 Director, Q6,

Q7, 01, 02, j6, J11, J35, J37, J19, J20, J39, J21, J10, J36, J15 "Jiffy".

J17, J25, J26, J27, J38, C16, A new caley Y9 pug to scale, Y4, Y1 and Y3 Sentinels, J71, J88, J73, J66, J77, A new J83, J67, J69, J68, J72.

A new J52, J50, N10, N7, N15,

N5, a new N2, A5, A8, T1, Y70, Y4, Y5, Y6, Y11/Z6, X1, X2, X3, S1 0-8-4 yard shunters, T1.

Think that's a few to be going on with.

The Thompson Pacifics, would make an interesting choice.

Love them or hate them, they were part of the late LNER period, and the BR ECML era.

From a manufacturing POV:

A2/1, is basically the rear end of a 'V2 2-6-2', with the same

boiler, cab and cylinders, with a different chassis, and lenthened smokebox (early versions use the V2 tender, then later on the 8 wheel tender). The class only numbered 4.

A2/2, Still uses the 'V' front cab, Using a shortened P2 2-8-2 boiler, with

larger firebox ( making the locomotive longer than the A2/1). Wing type smoke deflectors were fitted to these, plus the 8 wheel tender was coupled to these 6 locos.

A2/3, This was a new build by Thompson. It is very similar to the A2/2, except that

we have the flat fronted cab, large smoke deflectors, and a slighly different boiler with a round dome (set further forward than the 'banjo type dome'. later on some of these locos recieved the banjo domed boilers). This class was 15 in number.

There

are a few variations between the 3 classes, They would make interesting models, if Hornby wants to put the time and effort into them?

I would like to see a L.N.E.R.G5 4-4-0 like the one they are building in UK. It would match up with the new Hornby coaches.Hornby made Tornado so why not do the same for the G5.If Hornby make new models of diesel locomotives why not a new steam locomotive.The

models could be available when the G5 is launched,or even before.The support coach is allready made by Hornby.

I am not an LNER fan in any shape, size, form, or hair cut ( that gives PP a chance for some of his fine abuse ), but I really think the " Super A4 " would be a winner. I know my son would twist my arm for one, ( It wouldn't take that much twisting ),

I also know of several people who again not fans of the East Coast run and it's stuff, find this particular loco a must. Come on Hornby take a chance.

Yes indeed a pair of models of the "Hush-Hush" [W1 10000]engine,the as built version and the rebuilt "super A4" version. Or how about the original A2s the former North Eastern Pacifics not that I'm a great fan of theirs as tomy eye theywere always somewhat

ungainly looking machines with the outside cylinders drivingthe leading wheelset rather than the middle set of drivers. One was even fitted with a Gresley A1/3 type boiler at one point. there were only 4-6 machines in the class and they were all withdrawn

by 1937-8, leaving the classification vacant.Or how about Aerolite [66] the single wheeler 2-2-4 tank at York as she has such an unusual history.

Hi, haven't been around for a couple of days (hospital visits etc) Dad's medically doing well but it's now the associated problems. However....

I think SOT has covered all of the items I would like to see (although I'd end up seeing the bank manager)

and more. I can't say that the idea of the 'Un-named streak' (as we knew it) does anything to excite me, either as built or as rebuilt.

The idea of the Raven pacific is interesting as is Aerolite and the other NER preserved locos but I think, really,

that more mainstream locos are, rightly, far more likely.

The problem for LNER modellers is, as I've said before, that the various constituants at the grouping retained their identity, locowise, until the end of steam. If Hornby produced a J11 for example,

the GN, GE NER (me) and Scottish fans would say, with justification, "Well, it's nice but it isn't any use to me!!"

It's the same as a Southern fan, modelling the South Western Section being offered a SE&CR R1 tank - nice but not suitable.

And

regrettably there is no answer to the above since no manufacturer can be expected to cater for each 'section'

Keep on dreaming

Now if that was the 0-4-4 R1 I would have one. So it's out of place on a Southern ( Western section ) layout, but who cares, I don't, nice looking engine, so I would have one.
If we had to stick to accuracy, I would bin this hobby.
You try and tell

my son he cannot have his EWS 37 pulling olive Maunsell s, whilst his Southern Pacific F7a + F7b passes pulling the Daylight.
When I'm operating if they are of the same period, regardless of which part of the Southern they ran on, they will rub shoulders.
As

LC&DR says the diversity of the pre Nationalisation Southern is truly vast. They even gave us the 4-Cor, 2-Bil and the 2-Hal( I just had to get them in ).

The rtr manufacturers need to consider what will sell and get a return on their investment, and what those who don't model LNER may buy to have on their layouts because of the cute/wow factor.

I would think that Hornby would likely do a new B12,

a D10/D11 Director 4-4-0, a new J50 to current super-detail standards and a G5 0-4-4T which has been mentioned as being a new build, so sales off that.

The other major rtr manufacturer would be more suited to making a J21/25/27 (NER), J6 (GNR) or a

J15 (GER), so I think the J15 is a winner here though I would like the NER J21-27. And the Q6/Q7 0-8-0.

The Y1/Y3 has just been produced by dapol for Model Rail and my LNER model pulled 40 4 wheel wagons without slipping. Sold the BR version to a friend.

I

just hope someone announces a Director, preferably D10 Walter Burgh Gair 5433/62654 as I would buy several in LNER and BR. A G5 for my NE branch line, a J21-27 and Q6/Q7. We will just have to wait and see.
Mark in OZ

Has anyone noticed the close similarity beween the SECR R1 0-4-4T and the Metropolitan E 0-4-4T? Oddly enough the SECR loco originally had condensing pipes and the Metropolitan one doesn't.

Hi Mortehoe

I would suggest new glasses, but in view of the 'difference of opinion' between WTD and Orient on the Rerailing (or similar) thread in the General Section, I don't think I will!!

Re your post 2316 last night - you wouldn't stick

to accuracy, great. I would, equally great. Horses for courses, we all do our own thing on our own railways and no-one can say we shouldn't!!

I kept out of the "Glasses slanging match", because I need glasses/contact lenses for distance and reading glasses over contacts for close up. However, for close up, ie at work or model making ( notice I didn't say modelling ) I find it better at the moment

to have no visual aid what so ever.
Hope your dad is okay, and don't forget to take time for your self.

Back to your post, my layout is planned to be late 1930's with Art-Deco style station buildings, but the two periods I will operate are late

1930's, and late 50's to early 60's. I know scenery changes ie tree growth, and weathering of buildings, would make it " wrong ", but there is another problem.
Firstly due to work commitments kit building is out of the question, and having tried scratch

building, well that is a non starter.
Also with where the planned layout is set ie somewhere on the Hampshire - Brazil border, this will give me a chance to have interlopers from other regions rubbing shoulders with Southern engines.
Then again the loco

roster which is coming on slowly, will be a mixture of Southern engines that you would be very lucky to see together on shed.
I tip my hat to the purist, and I have seen some great layouts that have given me sweaty palms.

If I was modeling pre grouping

it would be L&NWR with Midland running powers or vice versa, but when we get to the 30's and beyond, it is the Southern ( Western section ) that wins, but even then I would take liberties. Inside the time period.

Hi Mortehoe

I won't say anything about your eyesight other than enquire where you get a Braille computer!!

Dad is variable. The infection has cleared up but the confusion hasn't. When we saw him Friday he was fine when we got there but by

the time we left he was confused badly and when my sister saw him Saturday all was well. When she went in yesterday he was back to square one. So no-one knows what the score is at present. Nice of you to enquire!

To better things. The layout plans sound

fine. I fancy a similar type of scenario - Late steam/early diesel or late blue diesel era. However, until I can get more space (I've only got a shelf on a B&Q bookcase) it will remain a dream!!! Really, I haven't got the space for what I want and I don't

want what I have the space for!!

However, such is life

See you anon mate

Hi Mortehoe

Been giving a bit of thought to your layout's geography (rather cheeky, but you know me. It might be usefull) Oxford, the only place where you could see locos from all four railway companies (so THEY say). Bristol, another place where

locos from all four companies could be seen. Ok, not often but all locos did appear ther. Bullied pacifics from the Southern, not often but yes, it happened on specials for football or Bristol Zoo etc. LNER B1s regularly on summer extras, sometimes even to

Bath Green Park. LMS up to Jubilee or Royal Scot size. GW - Anything.

Hope the above is a little food for thought, mind you I can't see anywhere that will also cater for the 3rd rail. That's YOUR problem!

Couldn't resist the Braille computer

bit yesterday - don't hold it against me!!
Tata
Prat

Hi PP I am still chuckling about the Braille computer, I roared.
Perish the thought about being cheeky, input is always welcome.
I know the Art Deco stations

will put a firm Southern stamp on things, so LMS running powers is really out of the question, but I do love the S&DJR, so the LMS will be appearing, and handing the train over to a Southern engine.
As for the LNER, it will be a visitor, who's replacement

failed.
As you say, third rail, that is my problem.

Forget the 3rd rail, let the 'old men' look after that (LC&DR and Ferret)

You do have a slight problem with Art-Deco buildings on the S & D but if it helps Templecombe had a signal box in that style. I believe it's now the refreshment room, don't

know for certain since I haven't been there since 1965!!!

Hope that helps. You cxan buy me a pint of Tetleys next time I come to Yorkshire

Don't forget the pies and beers are on me. Just bring some freeing

oil so we can get the padlock off the wallet.

Archived