Club models

Beano6565

This is a bit of an annoyance... recently paying to rejoin the club I was sent my pack which amongst other things contained a Voucher for £20 off 'exclusive club models'   problem is that having been a member for a couple of years or more I have all the current exclusive kits (with the exception of the 1/48 Me-109's but they are no longer available it appears) in some cases two or three of each as I never just spend the £20 but usually buying the allowed three kits putting whatever cash is needed.  However the £20 value is now nullified as its pointless buying the same models over and over... if they don't add exclusive kits anymore they could at least let us use the £20 value towards purchases from the site.

I always use the site to purchase new kits as obviously I benefit from the 10% and again I like to think Hornby benefit as I never just buy one kit its usually three at a time, though now I have to admit that due to what I see as a disappearing benefit of being in the club and reducing the value of being a member I do now look around elsewhere to see if i can find the kits I want cheaper.

I wish a decision would be made one way or the other

• 2 weeks later...

I went  to Margate at the weekend and went to the factory sale. Amazing sale and spent £109. Problem is I live near Manchester so won't be traveling the 5+ hours again. Anyone can buy no membership required so why can't these over stocked models be added to club models and give those who don't live down South a chance. Surely the club models can be revamped now and again if you've got that much stock.

• 3 months later...

Hi Airfix. Have just joined and am trying to spend my £20 voucher on A73009 "First and Last Harriers". Hmmm. Although advertised on your blurb you sent me, it doesn't appear to be available. OK, not to worry, let's get the A73008 Tornado GR4 in 617 Sqn markings...what: not available either?

I have Spitfires coming out of my ears, not interested in the Tucano which leaves me with a choice of: ONE. I don't wish to sound ungrateful but as a Scot based near Edinburgh, I cannot readily use the 2:1 offers. I'm left wondering what's in the Airfix Club for me?

Off to use my new Humbrol workstation...

I have to say that the club has worked out fairly well for me. In 2016, I traded the £20 voucher on club kits only for a £15 general voucher and essentially got my £15 Download only - Club Membership fee back. I've saved over £60 with the 10% club discount, and I've got a number of kits using flying hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A club renewal letter arrived today  there is no mention of Club models at all and the voucher is now £15 to be spent on any model.  At least the misleading advertising of non-existent club models has gone, but it looks as though the Club model has gone for good.

• 2 weeks later...

A club renewal letter arrived today  there is no mention of Club models at all and the voucher is now £15 to be spent on any model.  At least the misleading advertising of non-existent club models has gone, but it looks as though the Club model has gone for good.

The website does still advertise club kits:-

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information about the change from a £20 Club Model over to a £15 on any model. It was not something I was aware of and means that I can now go ahead with spending my Christmas present. 

Club Admins - perhaps an email shot would help here, or put that into the next club magazine?

It would seem as if now is the time to stock up on the remaining Spitfire VB, while it is there. Unless there is a new kit coming into the club range. 

One alternative suggestion - since the major difference between the standard and club offering is generally the decals, why not arrange something around that?  As the decals are now generally being printed by Cartograf what scope is there for them to supply some 'specials' for additional options on the standard builds. This would of course depend on whether you wanted the box artwork to differ. 

• 9 months later...

Joe

You must have timed your last renewal just before the change. If you have a club limited voucher then email the club email address and they will provide a new voucher code (you will need to provide your current voucher code and be within its 1 year validity).

The £15 pounds on anything has been the standard since very early this year.

Paul

Joe

You must have timed your last renewal just before the change. If you have a club limited voucher then email the club email address and they will provide a new voucher code (you will need to provide your current voucher code and be within its 1 year validity).

The £15 pounds on anything has been the standard since very early this year.

Paul

That would explain it, i got my membership in December last year, so my renewed one will be able to transfer to the £15 voucher I guess. Thanks for the info 

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to me that the 'club' could be used to release more kits from the probably defunct toolings, bit like the Jetstream re-issue.  The Beaver would be a good subject, as would many others!  No need for fancy boxings, just parts, re-print of original instructions and a 'plain brown box'.

• 2 years later...

Wow, all this time gone by and no commentry or update from Airfix and yet they still promote the idea of Club Kits just about everywhere. Makes you wonder just how engaged Airfix is with their members and their communication tools.

You're either going to do it or not - how about a serious update to your loyal supporters?

Wow, all this time gone by and no commentry or update from Airfix and yet they still promote the idea of Club Kits just about everywhere. Makes you wonder just how engaged Airfix is with their members and their communication tools.

You're either going to do it or not - how about a serious update to your loyal supporters?

The rumour factory was suggesting that at Scale Model World last November Airfix were saying the club would be re-booted April this year. You're right, there should be a serious update, even if it's to say sorry folks, but we're winding it up.