Scale Miles Per Hour - Can the Hornby Mallard beat the original Mallard?

Chris and Archie

Hump shunting was usually performed at less than 2 mph. The 08 class were geared especially for this and had a large speedometer to help the driver control his speed.  This ensured that 'cuts' of wagons did not catch up the one in front before they reached the points which diverted each cut into a different siding.

The main line classes used for Merry-go-Round especially classes  47, 56, 58 and 60 were fitted with 'slow speed control' that regulated the speed to 0.5 mph for  loading and discharging.

That is an interesting demonstration, the principle is absolutely spot on, the automatic uncoupler being something not achieved by BR.

How it works in the real world is that the train arrives in a 'reception' siding.  After the wagons were secured by hand brakes the train loco was released and went away either to shed or to work another train.

The wagon destinations are identified by the shunting staff. Before TOPS this information was obtained from wagon labels, but after TOPS was introduced a 'consist' was sent via the computer. The information was sent to the control tower where the 'cut list' was compiled.  The 'cut list' was a script for the operator  telling him which wagon was to go in which siding.  The tower operator/controller operated the points between each 'cut'. In modern systems the cut list was used to programme a computer which detected the wagons or cuts and operated the points  automatically.

The train was divided into cuts by the shunters by uncoupling and each wagon or separate group of wagons was called a 'cut'.  A hump engine arrived on the rear. As soon  as the tower operator/controller was ready, the hand brakes were released and the hump engine started to propel the train up over the hump.

As the wagons passed over the hump gravity took over. The wagons speeded up and ran down the gradient into the sidings.  The loco propelled the train steadily and continuously at less than 2 mph.  Radio contact was maintained between the driver and tower operator/controller, in case the wagon didn't run or became derailed. There was also a signal at the hump top which would go to danger if needed. (Belt and Braces)

In the old days the points were operated purely by the tower operator/controller observing the cuts as they ran. The shunters will have chalked siding numbers on the wagon ends.  Modern yards had track circuits to detect the wagons and the points were operated by a computer.  An accurate cut list was essential. Electrical or pneumatic operation of the points was essential too.

To prevent wagons entering sidings too fast and hitting others already there  too hard, devices called retarders were provided. These gripped the wheels as the wagons passed and applied braking force.  Only wagons running too quickly were slowed, the retarders were not applied to slow ones. In the old days again it was purely the judgement of the tower operator on how much force was applied, but in modern yards track circuits and doppler radar was useed to see how fast or slow a wagon was moving, and the retarders operated automatically.

A few yards were fitted with Dowty retarders. Instead if gripping the wheels these were hydraulic pistons that had to be depressed by the wagon wheels as it passed.  At Tinsley we also had retarder/boosters that used the pistons not only to retard the wagon, but to boost it if it wasn't going fast enough.

I guess this next video won't be popular with some but here's the Hornby 0-4-0 'Pocket Rocket' doing timed laps to work out its scale speed.

WARNING- THIS VIDEO CONTAINS GRAPHIC FOOTAGE OF A MODEL TRAIN GOING AT AN UNREALISTICALLY HIGH SPEED!

This one really would have done an awful lot faster on a straight!

In my youth I timed one of the original Hornby GWR 101 loco's (same mechanism as your Caley pug) at approximately 26 inches/second, so in all imperial terms at 00 this equates to:

26 x 76 = 1976 inches/s

(divide by 12 to get feet/second)

1976/12 = 164.6667 ft/s

(multiply by 3600, the number of seconds in an hour)

164.6667 x 3600 = 592,800 ft/h

(divide by 5280, the number of feet in a mile)

592800/5280 = 112.27mph, but this was timed on the second hand of a wind up watch and included time to accellerate

Having said that these little fellows were fitted with the same motors at the scalectric racing cars so what do you expect!

The preceding post was meant to comment on the video of the Hornby Dublo layout. A very good demonstration by the way. However it got hijacked by the profanity filter.   Don't ask me why, I cannot understand it either even after it was explained to me. Some words must have a meaning that I don't understand and are not so defined in the Oxford English Dictionary. It is probably an American definition, they have some peculiar expressions, and spell words in a funny way, as well as driving on the wrong side of the road!! 😀

Really enjoyed the video from Chris and his son, very informative.  Also, Howbinman's HD video was really great.  Most impressed with the speed control and points operation, with the uncouplers as well.  considering the age of those models, I found the running quality looked fantastic, and the 'hump' procedures were fascinating to watch.

Rod

Archived