4 loops vs 2 loops

so I've had this layout in the works for a number of years but have made little progress, problem is I can't decide on a track plan. My board is 12'x 6' and over the years I've covered almost every type of track plan imaginable, double and triple loops with loads of sidings, end to end, inverted figure of 8s with inclines, at one stage you couldn't see the board there was so much track on it lol. I've been collecting everything I need so once I make a decision I'm ready to go without having to outlay masses of money to start building. So now I'm ready to go but can't decide on a plan. I'm looking at double track with a station,passing loops engine yard and storage sidings or 4 loops with less storage and passing loops but keeping the yard. I have the 4 loops set up now and I think it's way more fun having 4 locos running  then 2 and if I have 4 running I don't think I need much storage sidings cause everything will be pretty well running. I'd share a few track plans but am having trouble with the scarm program, it's trying to charge me money to update drivers and I'm not keen on that considering it's supposed to be free. I have hvr2 but not sure how to copy the plan so I can share it. Anyone know if you can screenshot on a pc like you can on say an ipad?

anyway, what's everyone's preference regarding your layout ie how many loops do you have? Or do you have an End to end ect. Are you happy with your layout or over time did it get boring? And If you could start again what changes would you make?

If you have windows 10 poss 8/8.1 there is a piece of software installed called a snipping tool which may be of use, whether it will allow you to copy and paste direct onto the forum I'm not sure,but having said that if you can upload a photo then the same maybe the case with the  afore mentioned.

I can upload a photo, problem I have is only half the pic shows up when I go to post. I know from other threads I need to make the image into a JPEG and I think sites like photo bucket will re scale the photo so I can post a link but I wanna be able to just post a photo on the forum rather then a link. im pretty average with computers I might need to get my 9yo in here to give me a crash course.

Hi Dazzler

I have never heard of SCARM attempting to charge for anything on the layout planning side of things. The new train simulator which is currently free will no doubt in time attract a charge. I would avoid anything that looks like it is from SCARM unless you get it from their website.

You should be able to take a photo with your phone and put it in your Photo or Picture folder on your PC and upload from there. It will be held for moderation but as the UK has woken up after the holidays that shouldn't take too long. I don't think on this forum you can upload directly from an iPhone or iPad capture.

My layout is currently a 7; x 4.5' roundy-roundy with 2 loops and I am happy with that. Have to be really, no more space.

R-

Hi Rog, thanks for that info,when I try to download scarm it takes me to a window that says I need to update drivers, then I have to click an option as to what driver I wanna update and each comes at a price. I gave up in the end, like I said I'll see if my daughter can figure it out for me.

ok so from the phone I put the pics into my pictures then upload from there, that's easy enough. Ill give it a shot. I thought id need to resize the image?

Yeah, I really wanna crack on with this layout, having the 4 loops I can run 4 trains plus some shunting in the yard, each line has a passing loop thru the station and I can get a loco from each line into the yard. Ive used some diamond crossings so I can traverse trains from loop to loop also, with I could show a plan so we could go thru the pros and cons of the current setup but as it is I'm pretty happy with it.

SCARM is free although it may have a donation page on the blog.

Go on new railway modellers or rmweb forums track layout section and ask Mixy (SCARM owner and author) the question direct or email him from the SCARM website or blog pages.

My trackboard - couldnt call it a layout as it doesnt have much scenery apart from a few buildings - is about 6 x 4 ft with three loops each crossing to the other, a single siding and a turnout to a manual turntable with five off roads. Good enough to run trains and use RM programs, etc  with a bit of loco parking off the TT.

Rob

@Dazzler

My layout is 4 loops and as you have suggested it allows the running of 4 trains, without problems.  Our Grandchildren like to be able to control a Train as well so this is the ideal set-up for them to do just that.

The internal sidings allow more independant running.  I use the AnyRail software (not free).  The colour coding of the points in pairs is to show which ones operate together.

Regarding your question about a screen dump on a PC - there is usually a key on the keyboard labelled 'PrtScn' or something similar that copies your screen to the clipboard, that you should be able to paste in.

/media/tinymce_upload/20d8484dbc29306e1381f451ea00d333.jpg

...it takes me to a window that says I need to update drivers, then I have to click an option as to what driver I wanna update and each comes at a price...

Try here for a free driver update app. There is a premium version if you want autoupdates but manual selection is free . I use it and somfar its kept me up to date and working well.

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

SCARM - make sure you are at scarm.info web site not scarm train simulator. I just downloaded the latest SCARM and didnt get any driver flag so I reckon you were on the sim download site, which may require so specific driver for the graphics side of things.

Rob

I can upload a photo, problem I have is only half the pic shows up when I go to post.

This is normal. A large image goes off the screen whilst still in the reply posting window. The forum software resizes the image to display correctly in the post after you have saved the posted reply.

TIP for Screen Capture.

In Windows, you could use the inbuilt Snipping Tool, but if you just want to quickly capture the whole Windows PC screen without any fuss just press the "Print Screen" key on the keyboard.

This will copy the current PC screen display to your Windows 'Clipboard'

Now open the Windows 'Paint' program that is included in all Windows versions and press the "Control" and "V" key together (keyboard shortcut for 'Paste') and your screen shot will be copied from the 'Clipboard' to the blank 'Paint' page. You can then use 'Save As' to select the JPG file format to save the image to your location of choice (hard drive or memory stick).

I also agree that SCARM (have used it for years) should not be asking for any payment for drivers. It sounds as if you have maybe not installed a genuine copy of SCARM and been duped into installing a dodgy copy from a spurious 'Freeware' site or maybe you clicked the wrong download link - see below.

Did you download it using the link indicated with the tick in the screenshot below. The link indicated by the cross is adware:

/media/tinymce_upload/b42a47393f2e14e13ba8b09e748000d4.jpg

Here's my modest effort laid out in Scarm.

I just added an end to end track from station to town to station as somewhere to run my Tram on an auto-shuttle when I get it motorised.

/media/tinymce_upload/1889e25cb43cc7338e629682193f07da.PNG

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. i think we have scarm, the screenshot and how to post a picture all sorted now. Chris was right i was downdoading the wrong thing, after getting it right and following his advice i now have a trackplan ready to post up so lets see how i go posting the pic. Ill put it on another post incase it gets screened.

I do like the 4 loops but boy does it use up some track, and ive chewed thru all my points i had  just enough, but worth it i think. On a layout this size it feels like ive used too many but There's plenty there to keep me busy having 4 trains running. The passing loops thru the station give me the storage options  down the track to have more trains on the layout when not being used as return loops. The outer loops thru the station are not to scale, they are a little bit longer on the real plan accommodating up to 6 car rakes with loco on line 4, 7 car rakes with loco on line 3, and 4 car rakes with loco on lines 2-1. The engine yard can also store around 25 locos so with another  4-6  on the mainline a total of around 30 loco's can be stored on the layout at a time, overkill i know but i like it. Its gonna be busy. I guess scenery will have to reflect a busy station+depot theme with a main street incorporated in the middle. Gonna be lots of work but well worth it in the end.

Any feedback and advice on this layout is welcome. Things im thinking about at the momet are,

1) Have i used too many points?

2) Can/Should i eliminate any points, without limiting the operating potential? 

3) 40 points isnt too many, leave them the way they are?

4) Power feeds. 

Was also thinking about starting a dedicated thread, if everyones keen, on the building of this thing so i can share with everyone the progress Im making with the layout, ask questions and get advice on the different aspects as i go thru each building phase, and post progress pics so you guys giving the advice can see me putting it all into action? I know its been done before but right now i think the forum could use something like this it might encourage a little more activity its very quiet here since ive returned, or it might inspire others to crack on with their model railway. Whats eveyones thoughts on me doing something like this? 

Anyway, standby for this attempt at posting a picture, if all you get is a corner of the plan then im blaming Chris lol.

thanks again guys.

Some very nice ideas there Dazzler. If you want to save some expenditure on  points (4 of those and 2 diamond crossings) how does this appeal to you?  R-/media/tinymce_upload/c826b9eaf98532cc2642f207d55454f8.jpg

Thanks again guys, all up there are 42 points, I had all the stuff on hand to start this project right away but now with the 4 loops I need to save up for another dozen point motors and 2 accessory decoders. I'm gonna be using the ADSFX8 I think it's better value then the Hornby offering.

On the plan where I have marked the red x's are the places I intend to have feeds to the track. On a 12x6 layout is that overkill? I wanna ensure I have no running problems once the track is pinned down. 

So far I've had no dramas running trains, spacing between the tracks is even all the way around and I've been able to use all set track with everything aligning properly. The only issue I have is the outer loop is a little bit closer to the edge of the board then I'd like but in order to have the fourth loop it's gotta be that way, I have about 2 inches between the outside rail and the edge of the board, that will have to suffice, I will have a lip af acrylic along the 2 sides so nothing can fall off and I'm thinking about covering the tracks on the right hand end to make way for extra scenery.

Your connection points look like a very practical bus and should be fine.  Not overkill, some connect to every track piece.  On a layout this size, I would use terminators at the end of each bus branch, and I'd twist the bus wires.  Do a forum search on terminator or suppressor and twist and you should find heaps of content on those looking in thread content not just titles.

That looks great Dazzler.  I don't think you can have too many power feeds.

I think your build progress would make a great thread on its own.  I suggest you start it in the DCC section.  One of the Com Mods could move the relevant posts over from this thread if you wish.

Archived