Devious Diesel R317 vs R9050

Hi all,

I want to discuss the possible differences between the two versions of Diesel.

We know that the R950 version has a dark face. I have seen a couple of pictures online and I think an Ebay auction of Diesel with a lighter face. Can anyone confirm that R317 has the lighter face, or was this a small factory error with only a handful of lighter faces being made?

Finally, does anyone know if a Duck model has been made before with a lighter face?

Cheers!

The original R317 had the white face. This is a 1980's product, build in Britain. This was discontinued and in the early 2000's, the R9050 got released, which had dark face, which was the only difference to the original R317 Devious Diesel's. The white face was not a factory error.

That's alright, Shadow.Monk.

Yes, but I don't have it and they are expensive on eBay. I am hoping in the future that Hornby will bring back Diesel for a third time, in a CGI-style, that will be better than the R317 and R9050 releases. I am hoping Hornby will do the same with Toby, Duck, Bill, Ben, 'Arry and Bert, as well.

Hi, Uploaded pictures of the UK and China version of Diesel.The ones I have, much the same coloured faces.The early one is not anywhere white as photos show. Differences are, China is Matt Black finish, UK more gloss finish.Same mould used as can be seen inside 'L6402'.Made in England, Made in China embossed on body.English chassis has middle wheel tractio tyres,none on China version.No centre wheel flange on English one flanged wheel on China one.Unsure of date of english.English version is on the left. /media/tinymce_upload/9b7dbe8b57ea427462a9d95c4e049c66.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/687e7ccbb9a1d14c53ddc7873fa21fec.JPGmodel but 2006 date on China model.

Picture of the face does not show it but there is a slight difference in the grey plastic.I believe the Bachmann face is lighter than the Hornby one.Checked my Hornby catalogues back to 1985 all show the darker face as normal.If you have any photos or links to the lighter diesel face could you please advise where I can view them.

The Bachmann Devious Diesel is white becuase it made to represnt Diesel from the CGI series, of the Thomas & Friends TV series. Diesel in the model had dark face to try and make him look a but meaner and touch more evil, but whoever is behind the current day CGI nonese (I do watch the CGI, but it's not as good as the model series and never will be.), what it to be as childproof as possible, hence the white face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFowsHr9Yw&t=312s/. Please watch the video from 6:15 onwards, for R317 Devious Diesel.

hornby could easily bring back devious diesel by using the current railroad body which is the r 156,the previous body shell broke up with old age as this was the triang r152 body shell.so thats it paint the body black and put a face on it

Yes, Hornby could easily bring back Devious Diesel. I am hoping he will come back to the range, along with Toby, Duck, Bill, Ben and 'Arry and Bert; All complete with their CGI faces and better colours, just like Hornby did, with Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James and Percy, with the 2015/2016 relaunch of the range.

• 5 months later...

I purchased the R317 Diesel today, with the white face. This version seems rare. Looks as if some of these did have grey faces and some have white. I purchased one with white face earlier today from eBay at what I think is, a good price. All R317 Diesel's are rarer than the second release (R9050), but the white faced one is rarer. 

I can't wait to recieve it. Will post pictures when I get around to doing it.

GNR-Gordon-4

I have the later 2006 one. A few tips for a little TVS accuracy:

For the chassis, paint the coupling rods black, then put white on the bolts and wheel rims.

On his front, there are two dots. The one on his right is where his lamp was in the model series, so paint that white or yellow if you like lamps.

• 8 months later...

Managed to get a hold of a lighter faced Diesel :) I wanted this one because I own the 2015 engine 1-6 and think the lighter faced Diesel would fit in better than the darker face. This version is better in my opinion.  Will try to remember to post some inages later on ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi All, finally managed to aquire a white face R317 Devious Diesel.

I have been looking for a while now,and havae come to the conclusion they are very rare.

I have checked the body moldings between the other UK one I have.Both have come from the same mold as there is the same mark near the 'Made in England' logo.

This means it just the actual face that is made from different coloured plastic.

I think the photos I am uploading are the only ones on the Net to show all three different variations.

Gordon, can you take photos of the one you have, cheers.

Pictures show UK R317 on left, white middle, and China version on right.

/media/tinymce_upload/bbd085652818a660a2e8f86a3e03bf13.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/c85484aab995ff4c586b2c91057bbc11.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/9123945107d56fc56b29079ad97fb2a6.JPG

Hi RAF, As Hornby donot produce new Thomas products, I am actively seeking to complete my collection of all variations of Thomas products made by them.

The white faced diesel is in my opinion ranked as highly as The Red Tanker, Smiling Annie and clockwork Percy.

Still not seen any images thougth of the surposingly different faced Duck.

Hi RAF, Thankyou for taking the time and effort to find the faces of Duck.

The ones I was looking for are of the actual face on the Hornby Locomotive.

Photo of the rarer Thomas varitaions, White Faced Diesel, Smiling Annie, Red Tidmouth tanker,and Carded Clockwork Toby.

/media/tinymce_upload/5541b35c22a078e8352a4fa26b6545fd.JPG

@New lad on block

Good find, new lad on block. I thought you already had this white faced R317 Diesel. I have had mine for probably about 2 years now, if not just under.

I don't think there is a different face on any of the Hornby Duck's. There is a very slight grey difference between the two Great Britain and China made models, but I've never found an entire or slightly different face (Excluding face colour).

I have all of those in your image, apart from clockwork Toby, as I have no interest in collecting the clockwork Hornby Thomas toys.

@RAF96

Correct. It's the same face painted a fifferent colour, but for collector's like new lad on block and myself, it's worth owning. I would not have more than one Devious Diesel one the layout, of which I own to of, just like I own X7 different Thomas', X2 Edward's, X2 Henry's, X2 Gordon's, X3 James' and X3 Percy's; I wouldn't have more than each of those locomotive characters on the layout at once.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, 

Hope you're all well. 

I'm trying to restore a Devious Diesel which currently has no working motor or suitable chassis. Looks like my Dad a long time ago tried to jam an alternative 0-6-0 loco in there.

The mould number is L6402 and marked "made in Great Britain" - which is how I found this thread. Could anyone recommend a suitable loco alternative so I can bring Diesel back to life?

I've been told to look at the Class 08 but the clips to hold the model together don't look to me to be in the right place. 

Thank you

Richard

Devious Diesel (the Thomas-series class 08 loco) used the generic 0-6-0 loco chassis as also used under the Duck loco also in the Thomas series (a GWR closed-cab pannier tank), the GWR open-cab pannier tank, the LMS Jinty tank loco and the LNER J83 tank loco.  So the chassis from any of these alternatives will be suitable, whether made in the UK or in China, provided it has the two 'hooks; at the front and a horizontal tab at the back to secure the body (reversed when fitting in to a diesel body and using the adapter moulding at the cab end).  A Chinese chassis will give better performance because it has an uprated motor and pick-ups on all wheels if you are not worried about keeping it original.