Airfix Queen Elizabeth

Sailorman

The tasks I set myself last week have all been completed.  Will post some pics soon.

This coming week I plan to tackle:

Fixing funnels in place

Making and fixing new bollards

Touching up the superstructure

Painting of top rail in brown to represent wood on the etched brass handrails

Fixing of etched brass doors to superstructure

Fixing of etched brass chains on foredeck

I hope to also start fixing the etched brass stairs and some etched brass railings.

Painting and fixing the anchors

I guess I'll finish her by Christmas.....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home made decal with the ship's name.  Note glazed portholes.

/media/tinymce_upload/6e939d79cbd9635ea615ce5c4e57b651.jpg

Black decal bands around the funnels.   Again you can see the portholes.  It's a huge job but well worth the effort.

/media/tinymce_upload/eb3f7ac85458d4f57a402016e1616564.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Patrick.

Really enjoyed reading your adventures with the Queen, At times I thought you'd gone a bit overboard, but the final result is really superb and I admire your deadication and tenasity. Well done on making the Queen into a beautiful model, you are an inspiration as to what can be achieved with some of these older kits.

Looking forwards to your next project.

Remember we do this for fun                                     John the Pom

• 7 months later...

Hi Patrick

I have had the QE Airfix that I've started several years ago and came to a halt because I did not know the window placement on the boat deck. Your model of her is superb. Can you recommend where I can find detail information on window placement for the QE. Thanks so much.

Patrick (yes my name is Patrick too.)

• 1 year later...

@Patrick Camilleri

I just purchased a this modelkit on ebay and during my resaerch on building tips, etc i came across your beautiful model. Which Photo Etch kit have you used for your model and do you still have the excel sheet for those decals?

Greetings from Germany

Hi..... yes I still have the excel sheet but the problem is you cannot exchange personal details on the site.  Try sending an email to the administrator.  Tell him you want to contact me about this and perhaps he will send an email to me with your email address.  That way personal details aren't exchanged.

I believe the etched brass was from WHITE ENSIGN MODELS  - PE628 and PE 621 (Queed Mary / Queen Elizabeth). Tom's Model works also have useful PE to 1:600 but they don't include the davits.

• 2 weeks later...

Icerno78 - do not post private details such as e-mail addresses on the open forum. It is contrary to the site rules. (I have hidden the offending post)

@Ratch Can your provide then my Contact infos to Patrick?

My Email to forum@airfix.com with that request is unanswered till 12 Days.