Airfix Prairie Tank Sand Pipes

Castle-Man

Was looking over the Aitfix Service and Parts list for this loco and I noticed the Sand Pipes Part number  80058-5.

Looking at my loco I can not see these.  However I can see something round in what looks like the hple into which they fit.  I am assuming therefore that at some time they have been snapped off.

Do they just push in so if a found a pair then I would be able to remove the broken ones with pliers.  They seem to go into a metal block on the side of the main chassis block so I would be surprised if they were glued in.

Secondly has anyone got a spare set they don't want?  I know we have no PM system on the forum but maybe the admin could pass on my email address to the Airfix spares expert.

Thanks

Sarahagain

The ones on the Airfix model appear to be a specific moulded part and appears to be different to the ones I have seem lsted as Hornby Parts.

I will upload an image from the service sheet.  I think that what I can see on the chassis is the round piece beneath the square that I assume pushed into the Chasis.

/media/tinymce_upload/4180513b472e2784ae92bfaa1f9469f1.jpg

Altough they are made from flexible plastic they can snap off. A friend of miner replaced his on his 14XX with copper wire of a similar diameter and did not paint them - very nice they looked too!

• 1 month later...

81F thanks for the suggestion.  I finally found a few minutes and did as you said.

I purchased some  Markits 0.8mm copper wire from Peter spares.  Removed the old broken 80058-5 from the frame and filed the end flat before drilling a very small hole carefully in the centre of them..  I then bent a bit of the wire so that it would go into the hole and shaped it at an angle to reach behind the wheel then cut it to length at an angle.  Then refitted the original part top into the chassis.  Finally I super glued the copper wire in place in the plastic part,  Not too difficult although I am pretty ham fisted these days.

Did this on both sides and quite happy with the result.  My only concerned is whether the superglue will now mean that they can no longer be removed which could get in the way when removing the body.  However even if it does I can simply bend the wire out of the way.

If I get a chance I will take a picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture showing them.  I am sure that a better modler would make a better job but I am pleased.

/media/tinymce_upload/49eda4517de0a1630cde6e79f2007e92.jpg

Just wish I could sort the running out.  Got it running forward well today then tried reversing and this time the rear pony jumped the point.  A nuisance when the motor is now running quite well.

Archived