Not so flying scot

Go_West

Just a note to say went to see flying Scotsman on Monday at west Somerset railway and was a bit sick look to be steaming badly by the end of the afternoon they had to put a diesel on to push it up the hills.

have some pictures will try to up load them when the website is feeling better

Despite the massive overhaul the loco is feeling it's age. It was totally life expired when it left BR in the 1960's, the loco is over 90 years old with a lot of old metal still in it, the boiler was salvaged from A3 Salmon Trout as were the cylinders in the 1960's again very elderly parts.  The loco probably has 20-30 years of life left in it before it gets too fragile to run.

Yes Rob your right rules about loading went out the window in 1940 I can remember my father saying that a night train loaded with tank had a priority non stop main line clearance run to the coast and all personnel on track and signaling played there part on speeding this special train on its way and the engine doing the work was an A3 I think.

Despite the massive overhaul the loco is feeling it's age. It was totally life expired when it left BR in the 1960's, the loco is over 90 years old with a lot of old metal still in it, the boiler was salvaged from A3 Salmon Trout as were the cylinders in the 1960's again very elderly parts.  The loco probably has 20-30 years of life left in it before it gets too fragile to run.

The loco was almost totally rebuilt during it`s overhaul so a lot of it will be new. I shan`t say any more

• 1 month later...

Archived