TNBB: The Sequel - Avro Lancaster B.I (F.E)

Toboldlygo

I think I got slightly distracted, when I started to mask up - main undercarriage and bomb bay* details added (oops) 

/media/tinymce_upload/57d25ac792d359cad42e0b4c2c6509b8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/ac04db62b9053d0d0806cbbd25214084.jpg

* I think the instructions, in several places have got part numbers & locations slightly wrong...

Nothing like spending most of the day masking up, fortunately this is where not glueing some (vital) parts on pays off. Note to self will need to stock up on Tamiya Masking tape again - before I start the Fortress Mk.III

/media/tinymce_upload/e9af98af6d20b7faaec239790d90080c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/620560f5612cc924bf02accafa77bc72.jpg

Hi James.

If there's an automotive paint dealership near vyou you might try them for masking tape used special spray jobs like pin / fine line masking tape. I recently got some that's the same as the Tamiya plastic tape only it's lime green and bends as well as the Tamiya tape and is low tack and less than half the price for a 55 metre by 3 mm roll. the colour sure makes it easy to see. 

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

Hi James.

If there's an automotive paint dealership near vyou you might try them for masking tape used special spray jobs like pin / fine line masking tape. I recently got some that's the same as the Tamiya plastic tape only it's lime green and bends as well as the Tamiya tape and is low tack and less than half the price for a 55 metre by 3 mm roll. the colour sure makes it easy to see. 

Remember we do this for fun                           John the Pom

Funnily enough I do have some of that tape John, though it is quite old now (acquired from the Paintshop at Dunsfold), doesn't work to well with acrylics though.

Some progress today (inbetween weathering Loco's & Rolling Stock) - inner engine nacelles awaiting final assembly

/media/tinymce_upload/40c7c849f607e9a5771d3ea887b06d09.jpg

Currently doing an impression of a Manchester...

/media/tinymce_upload/dc991cf0035af8ca823c8a7923931eda.jpg

Yes it's looking good with steady progress.

Is that wishful thinking doing an impression of a Manchester ...............?

I hadn't started removing the masking on the two outboard engine nacelles when I took that photo, I was just pleased that I'd managed get the nacelles over the assembled undercarriage.

I don't think it would take much additional tooling to create the Manchester either...

Four Merlins check - certainly she's a Lancaster now  😎

/media/tinymce_upload/a74c6edbabf79e1d2c16da7d608ac5e7.jpg

Currently in the paintshop and squabbling with a BR Western Region 42xx (not a loco they should really mess with) are the undercarriage doors and radar housing...

The wheels are also assembled and awaiting paint.

Dear Airfix/Hornby if you are listening - the Manchester would be an easy re-tool and while you're at it, you could produce the Lincoln as well ;)

The Lancaster wants her belly tickled  😉

Progress today, wheels, under-carriage doors and radome fitted..

/media/tinymce_upload/987eb8ad08a770451a044f551eaff20f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/760a7ff7b0ad1910fad0db7aa2542cc8.jpg

Sitting on her wheels for the first time..

/media/tinymce_upload/e6130c424cfb2a05b14409f4aea08b08.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/999fe7236653c6ab882fa543b9954c26.jpg

I'll put the transfers on next, before I get on with the little details

I hadn't started removing the masking on the two outboard engine nacelles when I took that photo, I was just pleased that I'd managed get the nacelles over the assembled undercarriage.

I don't think it would take much additional tooling to create the Manchester either...

I would certainly order a manchester or 2 to add to my collection and as you say they already have the basics with the lancaster tooling .........

But until then your lancaster is looking really good, would never have imagined it would suit a white coat!!

I would certainly order a manchester or 2 to add to my collection and as you say they already have the basics with the lancaster tooling .........

But until then your lancaster is looking really good, would never have imagined it would suit a white coat!!

White over black, has grown on me (I may well do the 1/24 Mossie in Silver & Black, when I get round to it)

In the meantime, some progress today - the bomb-load is in the paintshop (a Cookie & 6 500 pounders)

And she's now wearing her 'uniform' - i.e. her decals...

/media/tinymce_upload/b7146b88ae95a0962ecdd2cb2e95adde.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/925319f931038429bf3a5651b298c5b8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/135815e9d855ac63cae3e44768572d87.jpg

Now for the really fiddly bits...

Apologies for the lack of an update (I've been working). However here's the Lanc with some parts temporarily fitted...

/media/tinymce_upload/a33769b6693403ceacdab4d24555d0e5.jpg

Dorsal Turret fitted

/media/tinymce_upload/6538022f634cea6cde03dc84b034d388.jpg

The bombs are all paiinted - once the paint has fully cured I'll add the transfers. The cockpit canopy is two thirds painted - it's a painstaking job.

Unfortunately I have a bevy of Loco's on the go, which has meant the final finishing of the Lancaster has been delayed somewhat.

However today I managed to add the bomb payload (and the various antenna - not shown in the photo below)

/media/tinymce_upload/ebe1a0a6c00ac8c16bf1790973f402bd.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, I should be able to get the canopy finished at least

Hi James.

That Lanc's looking really good that I'm being tempted, when I made that comment earlier about a high contrast camouflage I didn't realise that the Lanc was actually  being finished in black & white. I've never heard of one in those colours. It really suits it, looks great. Where did it operate in the far east or something?

Remember we do this for fun                    John the Pom

Hi James.

That Lanc's looking really good that I'm being tempted, when I made that comment earlier about a high contrast camouflage I didn't realise that the Lanc was actually  being finished in black & white. I've never heard of one in those colours. It really suits it, looks great. Where did it operate in the far east or something?

The Tiger Force were being prepared for the Pacific war, they didn't get there and a number were sold to French

Hi James.

The Tiger Force were being prepared for the Pacific war, they didn't get there and a number were sold to French

As above; comment from one member of 617 on the Japanese surrender; "**** they must have heard we were coming."

And so it ends...

/media/tinymce_upload/a1036773ad7e2d30e9f90fbc4e14045e.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/9ac2f8051b19c718b6ffb1811909ef23.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/18a28f087633210f24ea3c14a3fc2857.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/bc90fa28f58e4f3bdf7f0c8503d1a1e8.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/7b574d40a4f4089b2158e1c994cc3099.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/01487ec4d509e23a2db312b4139209ed.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/917543f1608f4d4db5b556b7d6ed3018.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/169848f6ac03867295a5567b6e843a8e.jpg

A fairly straight forward build, I do have a few criticisms to make though:

• Bomb-bay doors are incorrectly labled in the instructions - they are actually the other way round.
  • Main canopy, rather than supply one canopy with different side windows to add, why not supply two canopies complete? It would make the build easier.
  • Tail turret has been poorly designed, it could have been far more straight foward - yes I know two turret variants are supplied, but they need a great deal of fettling to fit and guess work for framing.

On to the next build....

Archived