ARC Pro - limitations on track layouts

Blagard-01

Users of ARC Pro have found that some track layouts that worked with the older 6 car digital advanced powerbase (APB) C7042 cannot be used with ARC Pro. All of those limitations stem from the fact that the ARC Pro powerbase needs to have a layout where there are always two lanes that are powered independantly. Each of those lanes can be split to power more lanes but can never be combined back in a way that combines the powerbase lane 1 and 2 electrically.

The straight lane lane changers have dead zones where the lanes cross that keep the lanes electrically seperate. - Just so you know!

Curved lane changers that were modified to work when used in analogue mode will no longer work without major surgery because the mod left the change lane (not used in analogue mode) with power to each rail from different lanes. It would now need power to both rails from just one lane requiring the rails to be cut and a dead zone introduced.

Pit lanes generally need to be used in the designed order but nesting i.e. two pitlane entry pieces followed by two exit pieces will not be a problem because all the pit lanes are powered from the first entry lane.

Single lane chicanes on the two main lanes created by reversing the pit lane pieces will not work. 

Analogue Crossover tracks (Not the crossroads) must be in pairs.

Power booster cables must be used strictly in the same way as you would for Analogue circuits.

Any other track pieces that cannot be used with ARC Pro, please post info on them. e.g. I think Gorp may have identified a particular lap counter that cannot be used so the part No would be welcome.  The only purpose of this thread to provide guidance on what scalexctric parts or arrangements will not work in ARC Pro only.

if you are already using rms with apb that means you are an enthusiast already invested in a system that can run analog and can convert to wireless controllers and large display screens, basicly a 1 % er,  so why are you really here ?

the other 99 % will like arc pro and will not have problems with its limitations

personally found pbpro-sh with glad to be superior to apb and even pb4 with glad to be more fun

Gorp, you're right - I am an enthusiast. Whether 1% or not, I'm here because my apb will not last forever and at some point I won't be able to get more, so I'm interested in what the future beholds for digital. Seems a shame that the flexibility of the apb is not being maintained. I am also interested in what the benefits of the new arc pro are over my existing set up - through reading the various threads I am not seeing any, but would have a keen ear to hear if there are any and what they might be.

Glad I looked at the forums for the Arc Pro.  Currently i have the 6 car base, Pit Lane Game modded for use with SSDC.  Although it's been fun I have found it took more time to set up (large parties, lots of cars, and stuff) as well as some intermittent issues.  So, my question.

I'm switching to the Arc Pro.  I do have chicanes that are merged down to a single lane, thus, that will have to change if I understand correctly?  What about my pit lane?  I have a pit lane, Pit Lane game(modded), and SSDC.  I'm moving on from SSDC to the Arc Pro, what pieces do i keep or not keep?  I see videos of cars going into pits but nothing that really helps us "longer time users" convert our myriad of older products (what we keep and what gets trashed).

Regardng the chicane, just to make sure I understand. My pit lane is a single lane, but is a branch from one of the main lanes.  My old chicane would merge both main lanes down to one(i.e. no passing zones) and that is no longer supported?  Did I finally get it? Do I understand it?  Also, I have sections of track that expand 2 lanes out to 6 (long oval) for some side by side racing of all six cars and then merge it back to 2 lanes.  Is that still doable?

I never race in analog mode, only digital, so all my track is digital.  I do have "booster" power cables coming from my 6-car base track piece to other parts of the track to help "weakened" parts(it's a BIG track) and I also have two power plugs for the base.  I take it those "booster" cables can remain in place?

boosters will have to be checked to see which actual lane they are connected to

otherwise you understand current situation pretty well - maintain 2 separate main lines at all times

personally found arc pro to be godsent after advanced powerbase headache

yo Riko , glad to see you here but the 4-6 car digital lap counter was mentioned as problem while back

many people with pb4 would have one so arc pro would be problem for them if they chose it over using app

my 4-6 is used with arc pro via glad off track

nice story about straight duals but real question then is would arc pro be designed the way it is now if xlc did not have error in design ?

i got confused now,

my track is powered by the 7042 now, i use the analogue and the digital mode,

both are working just fine now.,  i doubled all crossover turns and made the surgical cuts on the lanechangers turns and straights.

My power booster cables are all applied in such a way that the analogue mode has no short circuit...

the pitlane comes back to the same lane as it started with....

Will the ARC PRO work or still not ?

i got confused now,

my track is powered by the 7042 now, i use the analogue and the digital mode,

both are working just fine now.,  i doubled all crossover turns and made the surgical cuts on the lanechangers turns and straights.

My power booster cables are all applied in such a way that the analogue mode has no short circuit...

the pitlane comes back to the same lane as it started with....

Will the ARC PRO work or still not ?

You have only one problem - The curved lane changers. They will not work. Otherwise you seem good to go. So if you replace the curve lane changers with standard curves and possibly introduce more straight lane changers you will be back on track - sorry for the pun!

• 2 weeks later...

The Curved Lane Changer can be modified to work with ARC Pro. Note this is different to the older mod used to make it Analogue compatible with C7042 and isolates completely Lane 1 from Lane 2 power supplies without mixing lane supplies on the changing lane like the old mod.

See - https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/forum/arc-pro-curved-lane-changer-mod/?p=1

• 2 weeks later...

/media/tinymce_upload/d1fabead53b2b36acfe88ad0dea4d74b.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/060bab96636c7fc70b2903c136834dde.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/53258e1ef9d91435806b84898b0619fc.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/668c39703113ef3d8241ff924a7372a8.JPG Hello i am from Switzerland, and sorry my english is not so good. The first step was to open the clamp, remove the leads, and close the clamps again. Put a sticker over the clamp for any short circuit. Then remove the rail and cut it with a angle grinder clean the ends and put it back on. Do it the same thing on the next curved lane changer and now it works Analog and Digital. Good Luck.

noticed the pencils are pointing toward actual curve track entry on bottom picture

but unclear on track direction on top 3

find it hard to believe that small gap will isolate normal brushes from both sides of track aka the problem

other then no soldering required,  the top 2 pictures require some explanation please

For this configuration, two cuts is far safer than one. Please see the thread that blagged-01 started under the main ARC PRO subject theme on 'modifying curved lane changers'... additional photo attached here.../media/tinymce_upload/b66c7edb085f9e5f1fb5d714c433fc3c.JPG

• 5 months later...

The curve lane changers have been discontinued for quite a long time. It is absolutely  normal and acceptable for a company to severe ties with legacy products at some point.

My iPad mini is not even 4 years old and Apple does not support it any more.

DVB-T television replaced analog TV in my country in 2015 and within 3 years that was superseded by DVB-T2. 

Besides, slot racing wouldn't be the hobby that it is if it weren't for the  community helping to push the borders and helping each other out.

The curve lane changers have been discontinued for quite a long time. It is absolutely  normal and acceptable for a company to severe ties with legacy products at some point.

This is all good and well but the extra 10p in production to include a polarity revers of 1 lane, because of the extra features it would offer users and still enable Anlogue compatability (for those who want it), not including it wasn't a good choice. No one would of complained about the switch, it might of confused some users who need help. But... It's absence has clearly been an issue. The main reason some users have reverted back to the APB. 

I love the wireless controllers too much so I will be sticking with ARC. It was a request I made when first buying a digital set many years ago. It'd be wrong for me to not jump on board. Thank you Scalextric. Everything so far is perfect, just the switch, 1 switch!

Andy cannot do anything about the design problem

and this is not a new complaint.

That is why users seek out solutions that work for them.

On another thread you have posted you want digital only.

Have offered solutions but best remains do sf Riko arc mod.

Andy cannot do anything about the design problem

I know and I know it's not a new complaint. I spent ages reading about it. My post above yours was simply a reply to andy's defensive stance on the issue. When we all know the best repply would of been, "Yes the switch would of been a good idea but there isn't one". 

No , it would just make you feel better.

In reality there are several solutions including not doing anything.

No to your No. It would of been easier. Non of us would of had issues. Not doing anything wouldn't of worked either. As connecting the power base would simply short out everytime connecting it.

But yes it would of made me feel beter and a lot of other users too. We wouldn't have to come up with bodged solutions or try things like have pitlanes merging into 1 lane passing the power base or using things powered off track, mad crazy set ups. 1 switch would of prevented all of those issues.

I'm not mad about it. I have all kinds of modded chopped up pieces of track but I'm also not wrong about it.