Problem with ARC Pro and curved lane changers

Gene.Parmesan

Hi Barryhi33,

To modify the track sections to introduce the dead spots you can achieve a very neat result by lifting the rails then cutting with a dremel. To do this I mark up then cut out a 10mm section. I then file back each of the two main rail sections by 1mm. When re-assembling the three pieces... this creates... rail then 1mm gap then 10mm rail with dead spot then another 1mm gap then the remaining section of rail. This isolates the centre 10mm section as a dead spot and creates a nice flush surface for the brushes to ride over. 

To lift the rails I release the tabs on the back and then the rails can be easily removed. With care the rails can be cut with a dremel using a circular cutting disk. (Please remember to wear eye protection when using the dremel). When I re-assemble the three rail pieces to introduce the dead spot I use 5 min epoxy to hold rails in place by using  small amounts of epoxy in close proximity to the cut positions. Here I make sure the centre piece is not touching the main rails on either side.

I solder the rail cross-over jumpers as per the earlier diagram and photos.This needs to be carried out with care to avoid melting/deforming the black plastic track part.

Dr C

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scaley could of gave us a switch. What's a switch? I get the want everything to be fancy and automatic but this is far from automatic.Can i simply reverse the power to the rail on Arc Pro? Yes naughty but would it work? Would it interfere with the sensors electonic for that lane? I have racing line chicane lane changers.

There is a modification on slotforum international described by riko which reverses the track power wiring to one of the lanes. If you wish to use track pieces which electrically bridge between lanes it is a great work-around...but only for digital mode. Probably invalidates warranty... so does carry some risks... 

The modification has no effect what so ever on correct function of the lap counting sensors.

C

Riko's arc digital only mod on slot forum works.

Disconnect 2 power wires from 1 lane then resolder those 2 on opposite side of lane.

Since 1 lane has been changed , analog runs like a city street with cars running both directions.

But moding or keeping arc pro stock really depends on your needs , digital only or including normal racing analog.

Read of work around where lines go out to switch allowing choice between stock and mod analog direction.

Wondering if just brought 1 lane power out under to connect to lane jumpers to plug into track depending on choice of digital or analog , would be easier than installing a switch.

With both lanes powered out , analog racing direction could also be reversed just as with scaly powerbase from early 2000s that could use 1 power pack per lane with direction choice being just a plug in under base.

I didn't want to open up the PB track yet, but I will. For now I've done the X wire, with out cutting my track, flipping the wire of 1 lane in 2 corner crossovers, avoiding putting more dead spots in the track. 

great idea using crossovers off of lane 1 without cutting or soldering

same principal as my gem, using pitlanes to offer lane choice right after powerbase

I'm not sure i get this pit lane right after Powerbase option.

It's also worth noting, the flipped polarity doesn't have to be right after and before power base. We can place them anywhere in the track, as long as they seprate the shorting lane changer from the power base section. 

there is a single lane pitlane exit connected to powerbase enterance lane 1 (closest to control unit)

and a single lane pitlane enterance  connected to powerbase exit lane 1

flipped polarity is wrong word choice

you are creating a dead spot to achieve all 1 lane over the mod side of track

anywhere before first shorting site after powerbase and after last shorting site on track before the powerbase

I think MashaFX is using pre-existing dead spots in the curved cross-overs but flipping the polarity of one of the lanes... nice solution for keeping curved lane changers in play... so long as you are happy using cross-overs too. Flipped polarity terminology is perfectly clear to me.

C

there is a....

Ahhh! so the cars (toys as you call them) only ever pass over 1 lane of the start finish line. The other lane remains unconnected to any track. Yes that would work but what about close finishes? This always forces 1 car behind the other, every lap. I suppose I'll get that single lane I wanted but I didn't want it over the start finish line. It also won't look very good and is an expensive waste of pitlane pieces, which are way too long anyways, especialy 2 in the same straight.

I think MashaFX is using pre-existing dead spots in the curved cross-overs but flipping the polarity of one of the lanes... nice solution for keeping curved lane changers in play... so long as you are happy using cross-overs too. Flipped polarity terminology is perfectly clear to me.

C

Yes this is exactly as I've done. I don't think Gorp has understood by explination. 

My solution isn't good for those who don't like Cross-Overs in their track. But, for those who do, much better than chopping up a section and adding more deadspots. The Cross-Over polarity flip is also a lot easier to do, no soldering required.

understand it now

thought you said only powered off first lane but ...

using pitlanes is not a waste because they are actually lane changers giving the same choice as dual straight  changers when leaving power base

imagine racing for finish with winner clearly shown by exit pitlane , not where toy eye and guide are

hey requirements were plug / play and run all scaly digital including single lanes

thats the real gem

Here's another 1 for you gorp. Isn't the power base the wrong way round? Surely, due to how power slides work and missing sensors, having the Digital sensor the other side of the track so placing it directly after a corner or half straight, corner, could now be a thing. This was my initial thinking to it being that way but i had it the wrong way round.

• 6 months later...

C,

The question of if and when scaly corrects the arc pro was reason behind my question if anyone with a sunset speedway (?) had the same problem as the original.

Believe Mr Flippant confirmed the disappointing no change with arc pro.

gorp

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

This is fantastic news regarding the workable mods for my 6 curved lane changers!

However I just want to confirm that option "C" with the two modded sections with dead spots and jumper rewirng underneath is still in fact the way to go. Is this still the best solution?

Also would there happen to be a video available showing Exactly how this is done (especially the dead spots created with Dremel)?

THANKS VERY MUCH!!

It's possible you don't need a modification - only if your ARC Pro powerbase is from the Platinum GT set or the ARC Pro update kit. Those that came with the Sunset Speedway and Le Mans 24h sets have a newer version that has the track polarity of both lanes the same. It is essential to check before you carry out potentially unnecessary modifications!

It's possible you don't need a modification - only if your ARC Pro powerbase is from the Platinum GT set or the ARC Pro update kit. Those that came with the Sunset Speedway and Le Mans 24h sets have a newer version that has the track polarity of both lanes the same. It is essential to check before you carry out potentially unnecessary modifications!

Thanks for that!  Ya I have first gemeration so with the snipped mod for analog the flippers work but the whole crossing lane between lanes is dead. 

I think however it's best to mod each CLC with this mod which was posted in Aug. by Dr. C which I think is the easiest in the long run if you want to use the analog switch on the ARC base Instead of swapping out those two pieces as in option C. 

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190901&p=2260719&do=findComment&comment=2260719

It appears that ARC PRO powerbases manufactured from week 14 of 2018 onwards should use an internal printed circuit board (labelled v0.4) that corrects track polarity reversal. These later powerbases allow 2-into-1 connection of lane rails and so do not require the modification to CLCs as described earlier in this thread. They may still require a simpler modification if analog operation is to be retained.

C

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that ARC PRO powerbases manufactured from week 14 of 2018 onwards should use an internal printed circuit board (labelled v0.4) that corrects track polarity reversal. These later powerbases allow 2-into-1 connection of lane rails and so do not require the modification to CLCs as described earlier in this thread. They may still require a simpler modification if analog operation is to be retained.

C

i can confirm my pb bought with the gt platinum set that i picked up today is version 0.3 so i cant use my lane change curves, thats pretty annoying to say the least

The curved lane changers have been out of production for nearly a decade and they were never analog compatible out of the box (which ARC PRO is).

Heck, my iPad is less than 5 years old and Apple won't support it!

You can get them to work by making any one of the modifications mentioned earlier in the thread.

Start at the beginning of this thread (I think there is another here somewhere as well, the search should find it) and you can make the mod fairly easily.

• 1 year later...

The curved lane changers have been out of production for nearly a decade and they were never analog compatible out of the box (which ARC PRO is).

Heck, my iPad is less than 5 years old and Apple won't support it!

You can get them to work by making any one of the modifications mentioned earlier in the thread.

Start at the beginning of this thread (I think there is another here somewhere as well, the search should find it) and you can make the mod fairly easily.

I have a apb and unmodified clcs and I have used it

In analogue mode loads of times and works perfectly 

So I don't understand why you say they are not compatible! I have a v0. 4 arc pro

But have not tried it with curved clcs yet. 

Very hard to believe that your digital curve lane changers have not been fixed to separate the lane power to run analog on advanced pb.

The date of manufacturing ( see slotracer.online for missing arc manual ) will actually tell you in advance if the digital clc will work on arc pro digital and never on analog without fixing.