ARC Pro - Curved Lane Changer Mod

Blagard-01

I’m fairly new to Scalextric digital and only just bought arc pro, I want to modify my curved lane change to work but I feel the rivalry between Dr_C and Gorp have ruin this thread taken it away from what was intended and made it incredibly confusing...maybe you guy should settle what ever this is on the track....

back to the topic..the wiring and dead zone looks easy enough but I read something about a copper ribbon mod...is this needed as well? And what is the difference between fixed and floating flippers?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rowland24,

I think part of the confusion here is that this thread was, I believe, intended to provide a specific solution to the incompatibility of 2017 production version of ARC PRO and the now discontinued curved lane changers. At various points the scope of thread has been widened - but only, I believe,with the intention of helping to achieve clarity... but the subject is complex and doesn’t appear to lend itself particularly well to this forum format...

Anyway, the main discussion thread can be found at...

Forum > ARC - App Race Control > ARC Pro - Curved Lane Changer Mod”

The main thread covers a range of options to achieve compatibility between the ARC PRO and curved lane changers (as well as some other SSD track layout features). To help avoid confusion in all these discussions the various options were given labels A, B and C.

Option A - modify the ARC PRO itsel (two variants shown on slotform.com but both likely to invalidate warranty)

Option B - modify the curved lane changers

Option C - modify two track pieces either side of the ARC PRO

Of these three broad options, option B involves modifying the curved lane changers only, and hence formed the basis for Blagard-01’s demonstration of the successful modification approach at the start of this thread.

Sorry to yourself, and any other reader, that the options have become a bit interwoven and difficult to follow. Hopefully, by reading both threads the picture will become a bit clearer.

For my part I have invested time in carrying out all threeof the above modification options. They all work successfully but do involve various trade-offs. Overall my personal preferences are Options A and C but I can see that others may prefer Option B.

I hope this helps.

Dr_C

• 4 months later...

Hi Rowland24,

a specific solution to the incompatibility of 2017 production version of ARC PRO and the now discontinued curved lane changers. 

Does that mean it's only the 2017 version, is there a newer revised version that fixes the issue?

hi MashaFX,

Not sure whether there is as yet a revised version in market which corrects for compatibility with the old curved lane changers (which list really enjoy using). Presumably a new variant will arrive at some point... and as the changes required are very minor (from a production viewpoint), lets hope it fully corrects the issue with those discontinued, but much treasured, curved track pieces.

Out of curiosity are you looking to use both digital and analog modes of the ARC PRO...? or just digital?

C

@Dr_C

Just digital. It has annoyed me slightly that they invested into the backwards compatibilty with Analogue on Digital but not CLC. Not that I use CLC, I mod them into racing line chicanes. I've always wanted a track that merged both lanes at some point. I also love to include only 1 corner crossover. This forces those who don't change lanes into the other lane, kind of doubling track length, longer to learn, incouraging the use of lane changing.

For now I've flipped the polarity using 2 corner crossovers. This means we don't have to cut any more deadspots into the track. Flip under the dead spot of the crossover.

finally track is for digital only

you want curve changer racing lanes and single lanes and 1 cross over

do the sf Riko digital mod

I will be modding the PB at some point. I did mention it earlier. However, for now I'm not going to be messing with the PB, not until everything is fully tested.

Have you seen my racing line chicanes? They're quite rare.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A year on this curved lane changer mod may well still be of interest to users of ARC PRO who want to retain their curved lane changers... thanks to blaggard01 for showing us the first demonstration of this modification approach :)

• 8 months later...

Hey peeps,

Things may have changed with this.....

I bought the "Sunset Speedway" arc pro set a month back and have been extending it.

One of the first things I wanted were corner lane changers and found one I wanted and bought them...

Before they came I found this page and decided to mod the powerbase by swapping the wires over on the rails, job done....

The corner changers arrived and hooked them up.... Short circuit.. I checked the rails one was positive one negative....

I got the soldering iron back out and put the cables back in the original positions re- checked the rails with multimeter both positive.. so didn't need any mod whatso ever. It would have worked out the box, should have checked the rails first lesson learned

Hi Zoopy, that is great news... so for some new ARC PRO powerbases the track power modifications are nolonger required. Great progress by Hornby in developing the performance and compatibility of the ARC PRO...

:) 

C

• 3 weeks later...

I was told this from a source close to the production of the newer powerbases:

Just FYI arc pro powerbases with this batch code and higher will have the voltage polarity mods done: 1418REF01 14 is the week of the year (March), so any number larger than 14 will have this mod. And any with ~22 (June) and higher should also have a small mod to help improve reliability in car ID pickup while pressing the lane change button of the hand controller.

Hope that helps!

And, the two ARC PRO Le Mans sets I have seen recently both have the new updated powerbase. This removes the track polarity concern of the earlier version of ARC PRO and it effectively sorts the LC button press issue when crossing the start finish line. This is a great development!

For home race circuits, at normal fast speeds, the lap counting is now fully reliable whether LC is pressed, or not, when crossing the S/F line. For very fast raceways and very fast drag strips there may still be some residual ID read issues when the LC button is pressed for the higher IDs e.g. IDs4-6... In these extreme circumstances a rule of not pressing the LC button while passing the S/F line would still make sense. For the rest of us, who race our cars at normal fast speeds, for the latest powerbase hardware solves the LC button issue.

C

TGreat point Andy P, the improved lap counter performance will certainly make it easier to implement random lane changing for autonomous pacer cars for use with the ARC PRO... that nicely reminds me to get the SSD compatible multi pacer car project finished :)

Many thanks

C

• 6 months later...

Hi Zoopy, that is great news... so for some new ARC PRO powerbases the track power modifications are nolonger required. Great progress by Hornby in developing the performance and compatibility of the ARC PRO...

:) 

C

Hi, I have a brand new ARC Pro and after reading about all this I was ready to forget about curved lane changers. However, I wonder whether that improvements on the latest versions of the Arc pro mean that they would work now, or would I still need to cut wires and do some soldering?

Hi Eric - if you have the Sunset Speedway or Le Mans 24 Hour set, the powerbase is compatible with the old curved lane changers. If you want to use the analogue mode of ARC Pro, you will need to follow the tips at the bottom of this page: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/scalextric-digital

Modifying a curved lane changer (and the other tips in that section) for using analogue mode with the C7042 powerbase is the same for analogue and ARC Pro. If will use you layout only for digital running, you can ignore those tips.

I hope that helps.