Arc Pro Powerbase - 2 Power sockets

kbjb

Hi there - brand new to Scalextric, although as a kid I had Faller AMS and my kids had Aurora AFX, diving straight into digital with Arc Pro. So a dumb newby question ... why are there 2 power sockets on the powerbase?

cheers kbjb

Part number on the power supply that came with the upgrade kit is P9303. Searching on this site's shopping section it says they are out of stock, and don't expect to get any more. Yes, I can search online and find some retails that still show to have the standalone power supply, but are we to assume that Scalextric is planning to add a new power supply to their parts list?

Scalextric will always have power supplies but may be out of stock from time to time. There are a number of 15V 4A power supplies by Hornby incl P9300 , P9301, C7024. I have no idea how different they are but they have have the same connectors and they all have been used with C7042 Digital APB. So if ARC Pro requires a specific transformer it should say so as those earlier ones are going to get used by people upgrading to ARC Pro unless told they shouldn't!

Because you need two when running more than 3 cars

Thanks Blagard-01. I did in the end manage to find this out on the forum. Currently just getting into Arc Pro and at this stage only have the Powerbase (upgrade), 2 controllers and 2 cars with chips, however my proposed track will be close to 25m when complete (even longer if I make the pits larger). Will I likely also need a second controller due to the length of my layout or is it really based on the number of cars you're running at any time? cheers kbjb

yes , since the dawn of the slot age,  it is really based on number of cars running , analog or digital

1 controller controls any 1 car on the track

Sorry gorp - knew the 1 car = 1 controller ... was meaning power controlerl ... given I will have over 25m of track am I likely to need another power (transformer) due to track lenght or will that only be needed if I increase cars/controllers past 2? cheers kbjb

The two transformers for more than 3 cars will be fine.

What you will need is booster cables to put the power into the track directly at some distance away from the base. This helps overcome the drop in voltage due to the track to track connections not always being perfect and keeping the voltage up all the way around. Very simple to do as you connect one end of a cable to the track by the powerbase and the other end to the same lane further around the track. Repeat for lane 2.

If necessary do even more cables so you could have say 2 pairs with each a third of the way around the circuit

e.g.

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/scalextric-c8248-sport-track-power-booster-cable-2x

https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/track-power-booster-cables.html

• 1 year later...

Hi wbweisss - welcome to the forum.

This is what you’re looking for: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/shop/power-controllers/powerbase/digital-15v-4-amp-transformer.html

It’s out of stock on the UK Scalextric site, but should be in stock with retailers, such as this one: https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/scalextric-hornby-digital-c7024-p9300-power-supply-for-r8213-c7042/

If you’re based outside the UK, it is a good idea to contact your regional Scalextric / Hornby distributor who will be able to point you in the right direction.

I wouldn’t recommend it. To run a decent sized track with more than 3 cars, plus lane changers, pit entry pieces and the powerbase, ARC Pro is designed to take two 4 amp power supplies. 

In North America, you are looking for a C7033 power supply. That’s the same as the UK C7024 but with a plug for an American mains outlet. I notice they are in stock here: http://www.132slotcar.us/store/product_info.php?products_id=2185

I’m sure they will also be in stock at other Scalextric and Hornby retailers. It is the same powner supply that is used with Hornby model railroad digital command control systems.

• 1 month later...

scalextric.com  has their "stocklist" which shows all the stores, dealers in the US. You have to b like the rest of us and write to them all to find the one piece you need! Then pay for it. . .

That's a waste of time. I found them for $14.99 plus shipping (https://www.ebay.com/p/Scalextric-Switching-Mode-Power-Supply-Track-Transformer-P9303w/1748011620?_trkparms=aid%3D666006%26algo%3DPRP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20161103085654%26meid%3Dc45fe02f166045adbc62ab0dcf2154c2%26pid%3D100697%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2047675.c100697.m4697)

I received mine yesterday and it works perfectly. 

• 2 months later...

I'm new to Scalextrics too. I have an expanded Arc_Pro circuit with 4 cars and wondering which power unit I need to get for 6 cars. There is no info on the part number required or anything on YouTube showing how to do this. I don't want to get the wrong power supply. The user manual has no info either! Jadlam shows a whole host of items listed and part numbers, very confusing.

• 10 months later...

Hi Eric - if you mean the C7024 power supply, then yes - it is the same as the P9300 and will safely plug into the second power socket on your ARC Pro. If the power supply is second hand, it is worth having the unit checked over by an electrician.

The C7042 is the Advanced Six-car powerbase and shouldn't be used in the same circuit as an ARC Pro unit. The two codes being so similar is ripe for confusion!

I hope that helps.

Hi Eric - if you mean the C7024 power supply, then yes - it is the same as the P9300 and will safely plug into the second power socket on your ARC Pro. If the power supply is second hand, it is worth having the unit checked over by an electrician.

The C7042 is the Advanced Six-car powerbase and shouldn't be used in the same circuit as an ARC Pro unit. The two codes being so similar is ripe for confusion!

I hope that helps.

It does! Thanks.

What about having other transformers connected to analog powerbases? I got an older set with plenty of tracks and there are 2 analog power bases (the ones with 2 transformers). Is it safe to space them throughout the tracks in order to keep the tension up? I guess not, but why not ask? 😛

Hi Eric. If you put an analogue powerbase into a circuit it will only deliver power when you pull the throttle on a controller plugged into that powerbase. So any second or third powerbases around the track will not deliver any extra power to the track. If you were to do that on a digital layout, it would be the same - no extra power. And you really wouldn't want to mix the AC power from the digital powerbase with the DC power from the analogue powerbase. It might be a very expensive disaster.

The way to avoid power drops as you move away from the powerbase is to:

• keep the track clean
  • keep the track connections in good order
  • install power taps or 'jumpers'

That's the same for analogue or digital tracks and there is more here: www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance

At my local Scalextric digital club, we build temporary tracks every month for an evening or day of racing. The circuits are 100 to 150-foot long and built in just over an hour. The track is given a good clean once a year and all the track tabs tightened. During construction, if the connection between two track pieces feels particularly loose, we will tighten the tabs.

Each race track is built with two or three power taps running from a track piece next to the powerbase to 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way round the circuit (or 1/3 and 2/3 for shorter tracks, or one 1/2 way round for tracks of 30-50 feet). A power tap is simply a length of wire that runs from the rail of one track piece to exactly the same rail on another track piece. Scalextric produced their own C8248 Track Power Bosster Cables, but these are hard to get hold of. Jadlam Racing Models have their own version: www.jadlamracingmodels.com/scalextric-c8248-sport-track-power-booster-cable-2x/

The first cars to be run after the track is built have one drop of INOX MX3 put on each braid and the cars are run round the track, over the lane changers and through the pit lanes. INOX MX3 seems to work perfectly to clean and condition digital track rails, limiting electrical arcing and keeping the digital signals as good as they possibly can be. I would say it is a must-have for all digital racers - if used in small amounts. Pendle Slot Racing sell INOX MX3 in the UK and have two products. I would recommend decanting the pump spray into small dropper bottles. www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/brand/inox

After the racing, the disassembled track pieces are stored in covered, dust-proof cardboard boxes without being cleaned - the INOX stays on the rails to protect them between races. The next month we build again... And we experience very few power issues during the year.

I hope that helps.