Loose tyres on Henry's tender

Howbi

Jacob, you said..."Henry, from the Thomas & Friends range (R9292). All of the Henry's I've looked at have the same loose tyres on the tender wheels. When I run Henry, I run him without the tender, as I daren't risk doing anymore damage to the wheels. I can only run him without the tender, as the latest release Henry is loco driven,"...........It would appear that Hornby have been using up old stock of tenders with the old Ringfield motor housing inside which accounts for the axles still having tyres........your only answer is to get some replacement wheel sets without tyres.......won't cost much but will solve the problem.........HB

Thanks for the help HB, but I am not familar with how Hornby build there loco's and I don't really want to do this sort of thing and not know what I am doing.

Shadow.Monk, I doubt it. My Henry, from 2016  in the shop at Hatton's seemed to have no wonky wheels on the tender, but once I started running it, the wheels started to roll themselves apart, so if the wheels are not loose in the box, they will be loose once the wheels start spinning.

I can remember spining a few of the wheels on the tender when I was at Rails of Sheffiled early on in the year, when I discovered this issue. It only took me to roll some of the tender wheels and they spun themselves undone.

I went to my loco model shop yesterday and they had a Henry on the shelf. I picked it up and I could see at least one of the wheels through window of the box, was loose and that's without opening the box. No it won't be fixed. It looks like the customer has to fix it themselves.

With all these bad paint jobs and bad build quality, none of the Thomas items are worth their RRP's. They aren't even worth the dead cheap prices that Hatton's and Rails of Sheffield are offering, becasue of the bad quality and bad paint finsih they have.

GNR-Gordon-4

I found some spare tender wheels for Henry on eBay, but you can tell they are for the previous model (R9049). I showed the listing to my dad, but he dosen't think they will fit the new model. I don't want it buy it in case it dosen't fit. My older Henry dosen't need new tender wheels. This Henry was built properly. No spart parts exist of as yet for the new Henry, or for any of the new Thomas models. Even if they did, I expect the wheels will be wonky.

I am now considering selling my R9292 Henry now. I've collected all of the models and it will be a shame not to have the new model and to have it missing from my collection, but there's not a lot I can do about it.

I wonder if these wonky wheeled Henry's will be collectible in the future, like the Red Tidmouth Milk Tanker. I doubt it!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

Why not send Mr Wonky back to Hornby Jacob and ask them nicely to fix it seeing as it is obviously a manufacturing problem, even if out of warranty  they should treat it as reasonable request.

It would be a shame to lose a valuable model for a fairly simple fault.

Rob

I messaged one of the seller's, on eBay, who have the spare Henry's Tender Wheels in stock, which is for R9049 Henry. They told me that the RailRoad Black 5 and R9292 Henry have the part number tender wheels of X7135. The previous Henry part number for the tender wheels, is X9103. So this won't fit the current version of Henry and the wheels for the new version, as of yet, not available as a spare part. Now I realy don't what to do. How long does it take usually for spare partsm to become available?

GNR-Gordon-4 

@WTD...........we think they are traction tyres because the model Jacob has is later with loco drive but supplied with the old tender which still has the old ringfield motor housing in it and two axles with traction tyres so I suggested he just buys new wheels without tyres as they are not needed on this loco drive model........ 😀....HB

Yes, I mean the metal tyres. Traction tyres are not needed on Henry's tender (R9292), as he is loco driven. Why do they come loose though? They shouldn't do. It's clearly a factory error, as every R9292 henry has this problem. I have never come across it before I decided to the new version of Henry. It's happens today, as clearly the factory do not care what comes out of the factory. Whether you can use the item or not. In this case with Henry, you can't use him.

GNR-Gordon-4

Never know what sort of person would be handle it. I don't want it come back with chipped or scratched paint, etc.

GNR-Gordon-4

Wow... that's a sad bit of assumptions. It's a wonder you buy any model train for that matter.

Poor folks at Hornby, must have had extremely rough ruby players on their CVs when they applied for the jobs to fix model trains.

Archived