No Engine Shed?

Carltonf

So I know there are more important things to worry about in life, but Hornby Comms are really poor at the moment.  There is nothing new going on seemingly, and despite moving from 2 weekly to monthly posts, they can't even hit the post date for this.  And still no new club news.

When you compare this with Bachmann, they have product news all the time on their home page, and interesting articles, and there is no reason Hornby cannot keep things fresh and updated.  Ok, I might be being harsh, but I really care for the brand, though they don't seem to be doing much to instill confidence in their business at the moment.

They will be making the 2018 announcement on about the 08 Jan, what's the point in mentioning anything just before Christmas? 

Sorry, I don't believe the Engine Shed is only about product releases.  Why say in Hornby Magazine that the next blog would be on the 15th? They knew when the magazine was printed the 2018 announcements were coming out in January.  It's one of the things that keeps people coming back to the site, but if they can't be bothered to knock up even the briefest of news items, then so be it.  

And as for Warley, there was little or nothing from that on the weekend either.  Have they let the person go who ran their social media presence or something?

Maybe they have nothing to add this month. The Engine Shed is a fairly new addition and many of us have been on this site for years. I would be happy if they just published it when needed without set times. 

They still have a few hours to get it out today. Maybe they had a glitch and it is delayed a day or two.  😉

I agree with you, walkingthedog, that the Engine Shed could easily work as an adhoc column rather than rigidly on a schedule, and would probably be easier on the R&D team that way.

But Carltonf does have a point that when Hornby go out of their way to tell Hornby Magazine when the next edition will be out - knowing full well that date will be published - and then fail to publish, it comes across as disorganised.

It's not even like the Great Electric Train Show week where Hornby announced there would be no blog as previously advertised; this time it's just absent.

If there are going to be "announcements" early in January 2018, I really can't see why you would start hinting at what was coming a couple of weeks befeforehand. The new catalogue is due out on January 8th, and I would assume any new products will be announced on that day or a day or so earlier.  If Engine Shed had been out today people would be expecting something exciting, and then moaned because there was nothing new. I'm all for the " adhoc" posting, when there is something to say or explain - then say it.

It is fair comment and Hornby should be nurturing its customer base. They have made several statements in various media about pending new product announcements, news, collector's club and this blog and failed to achieve any of them, so it doesn't bode well for the 2018 range announcement on Jan 8th happening.

The news in today's business sections that the Finance Officer has just departed is the wrong sort of PR and so some continuity in product and future plan news would provide a bit more reassurance to its supporters in what are clearly difficult times for the Group.

Why is everybody so negative. We are talking about model railways, nothing really important. They will make the announcement for 2018 on time. It wouldn't matter if there was no announcement at all. I have always thought they should announce new products when they know they are being produced and not give dates in advance, then if there is a delay nobody will get all worked up.  😆

I agree with Carltonf,

There seems to be a lack in communitcation or rather a few hiccups lately. Starting with them drumming up an audience for Warley and then having only the H Class on display. There was a lot of talk about lots of news at Warley and it's coverage etc, but nothing came of it.

I enjoyed reading the fortnightly blog, I do understand that that may have been too tight to always have news, they then moved it to a monthly format and have since not posted again. They did go out of their way and state that a new blog will be out in December and whilst the month isn't over, they specified 15th in the Hornby Magazine.

I hope it's not the end of the blog, it was one of Hornby's greatest mediums for communication and it seems to have gone flat for now.

If there are going to be "announcements" early in January 2018, I really can't see why you would start hinting at what was coming a couple of weeks befeforehand. The new catalogue is due out on January 8th, and I would assume any new products will be announced on that day or a day or so earlier.  If Engine Shed had been out today people would be expecting something exciting, and then moaned because there was nothing new. I'm all for the " adhoc" posting, when there is something to say or explain - then say it.

The Engine Shed blog isn't all about hinting only...it's covered various aspects of the hobby. They could do so much more. Like meet the team behind this brand etc etc.... If people want to moan let them do so, I've learnt that you cannot stop it.

I got this reply from Hornby on Facebook today:

"Hi Carlton, unfortunately it was unavoidable that we had to move the dates of the blog. However, The Engine Shed will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news and updates".

So, happy with the response - I still think it's just a small bit of work to put a post in the news or something, but, to re-iterate, there are more important things to worry about in life!  Like what to get the wife for Christmas - I've an inkling she won't appreciate the Hornby A4 I was plannig on getting for her...

• 2 months later...

Since moving onto the monthly format, it seems as if Hornby have yet again missed the day. The latest issue of "The Engine Shed" was due yesterday. That's what Hornby said they were going to do and that's what I think was also published elsewhere.

Hopefully there'll be a blog about something soon...maybe Ally Pally?

Since moving onto the monthly format, it seems as if Hornby have yet again missed the day. The latest issue of "The Engine Shed" was due yesterday. That's what Hornby said they were going to do and that's what I think was also published elsewhere.

I don't think Engine Shed is strictly "monthly" now (I treat it more as a rough guide to expectations).  At the end of the last article it says the next edition will be 23 March which is next Friday - however I can't remember if that is actually the date it said when the article was published!  😛

It is getting a bit of a hit and miss affair with the blog.

Whilst I understand that R&D are under very tight deadlines for prototypes coming in from china etc, why change things from a fortnightly to monthly and then have the date all over the place if they cannot cope with writing the blog in the first instance?

Surely they could get someone outside of Hornby R&D to run the blog (Maybe one of the members on the forum?)

Just my pennyworth

It is getting a bit of a hit and miss affair with the blog.

I'm sure we can cut Hornby a bit of slack and give its employees an extra week without our lives grinding to a halt!

Whilst I understand that R&D are under very tight deadlines for prototypes coming in from china etc, why change things from a fortnightly to monthly and then have the date all over the place if they cannot cope with writing the blog in the first instance?

Surely they could get someone outside of Hornby R&D to run the blog (Maybe one of the members on the forum?)

Just my pennyworth

😮

Frankly the expression 'lunatics taking over the asylum' springs to mind with that idea!

it says 

"Should everything go to plan we’ll be seeing you again on the 23rd March"

maybe the plan has changed ,no big loss !

Yep, saw that... Thought it said 16th. Read in two places about it being 16th. Hence why I asked. Anyway the latest blog is up. Interesting read. All about the new and re-tooled LMS Streamlined Duchess.

Archived