How can you limit top speed on ARC PRO

brian_griffin

• 2 weeks later...

Also, in case anyone else is wondering, from what I've found you can only limit the speed percentage when using the app in an actual race mode (not just opening the app). The car doesn't "remember" the power setting unless the app is running an actual race where you've altered the setting. If you just power up the base and put a car on it (not using app) the car will have again the full 100% speed capability.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it is possible to PERMANENTLY save the speed reduction to a car, even when not in a race?

I’ve got two younger children and as soon as the cars are not speed-limited outside of a race, they pull the throttle, the car flies off the track and breaks.

I’ve just bought my first set, and stunned that the combination of cars being able to go so fast, tracks so quick, plus an inability to permanently store a reduced speed for a car, coupled with very fragile cars (rear spoilers in particular) equals a guaranteed breakage nearly every single race.

After selecting race mode i.e Practise, Grand Prix etc you need to select ....

'Driver Setup' then select a car - select 'Car Handling' - then select 'Maximum Power' - adjust the setting down from 100% - you will need to experiment as to what works for your family. Each car needs setting individually.

The 'Throttle Curve' adjusts the response when pulling the controller trigger.

Making the changed "permanent" might get changed at a later date.

Thanks Andy, OK.  So for now, what I've said is the case - I can change the cars on a per-race basis, but the max speed limit doesn't stay with the car forever .... hmm, real shame.  My track will just have to collect dust or go in the loft boxed up for now, as I can't afford to keep buying cars every second or third race, as I forgot to set the max speed down or wasn't in a race when one of the kids pulled the controller.

Seems like a pretty big oversight.  That's a lot of lovely Arc Pro kit sat here, I'm unable to use just now.

Hi Andy

it isn’t the length of time it takes. When you have younger kids who don’t always listen to ‘don’t pull the trigger in your hand until I say so’ then you’ve got a broken car.  For someone such as yourself, this might not be an issue but for me who is a keen enthusiast' taking my first, rather expensive but enjoyable foray back to Scalextric and Hornby, I want that experience to be fun and not nerve-racking or costly.

perhaps the number of people who are of a same opinion as myself is limited and it’s not worth building such an option into the firmware/app ... or perhaps there are thousands out there who would love this. I’m not sure.

I totally get it Mark... my son has  friends that, shall we say, don't respect other people's property as I would like.

Basically they get some super resistant cars and that is it. I set up the APP once and those are the cars they get for the next hour or so. Thanks to all the various race modii they can play with those for a long time before they get bored.

Barriers, guardrails and and even pillows can also help a lot!

The beauty of ARC is that is APP based and the app can be updated... maybe as often as every two weeks... (my real job is in a software company and has nothing to do with Scalextric though so the above statement is based on my professional experience and not on any information I may or may not have from other soruces)

So don't pack things too far away and watch this space ....

Hi Andy!

Lovely reply, thank you!  I thought you were sat in a bubble of expert loft racer with pals, all adults and couldn't understand my (and other people's) needs.  Sorry for judging! :-)

After starting this post, I looked and saw there are super resistant cars.  I've packed it all away just at the moment, with a view I'll get it out when I can buy 2 or 4 super resistant cars.  And love the idea of pillows - never thought about that!  I've got the old skool cheapy plastic Amoco barriers from ebay but the newer ones with run-off/skid areas look better.

Oh and my background is software dev, and I own an web agency! :-)

I'll keep watching!  Thank you

Andy, would the plug in dimmer set-up help with marky's set-up? 

Also, not sure if you have this type of wire mesh fencing in UK but I made my own 3" high fencing and attached it to the plastic guard rails (hot glue gun) and the cars have stayed inside the ball park so far, as hard as my 10 yo grandson and his friends have tried.

I understand about the crashing and I have the ARC One with the mechanical throttle stops but they don't like racing where they can't go fast / crash hard! Good luck.

/media/tinymce_upload/6705e0eda7d2a25840e75f386937b867.jpg

You can always try to the plug in dimmer but I did try it on a recent Sport powerbase and it didn't work.

It was right before an event so I had no time to figure out why (maybe I simply had it set too low)... but if you can get one form a place you can return it for free it is worth a shot...

Hey guys - thanks so much for this .. and that pic.  The setup looks brilliant!  I don't know what's happened to me that I have to buy everything, yet grew up making everything ... right, time to get something done like yours!

Andy - can't even DM, but I'd love to speak to you to get these forums with ability to direct message, reply notifications, and such like - it seems a little remiss! :-)

I'll also go and check out the dimmer.  Sounds like it could be good - not sure if it'll work with Arc Pro though.

There is a lot going on in that ARC Pro powerbase, but if you limit the voltage going in, I think all the Bluetooth gubbins and wireless controller receivers should get what thet need via a voltage regulator. Maybe someone who has messed around inside the unit (Dr_C?) can say for sure. So the dimmer might work on voltage going in to the powerbase and should certainly work on powerbase to track - but that would require a lot of skilled work.

Personally, I'd focus on the car itself to make it slower and more controllable. I think one or more of these are the options to look at: 1) fit more powerful traction magnets - but keep an eye on the motor overheating; 2) fit a less powerful motor; 3) change the gearing; 4) limit the voltage to the motor using a resistor or diode on the wire between chip and motor.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Has this feature been implemented yet? I too have some younger kids and want the ability to "permanantly" set a limit for the young ones.I'm trying to decide between buying Scaletrix ARC Pro or Carrera Digital 132 and right now I'm leaning towards Carrera Digital, partly because they have this feature sorted - no workaround necessary. Pity because it should be very simple to add this feature. All my friends have Scalextric too.

I understand there are workarounds (set limit per race, phisical barriers/pillow, car mods or controller mods) but why would I bother when just Carrera does it better? See review below from another dad:

https://thattoydad.com/carrera-slot-car-tracks-reviewed-the-best-slot-car-set-for-kids

Hi Eltonio - welcome to the forum!

The Max Power feature is very much implemented in the ARC app. I've used it in public with young and inexperienced racers (running ARC Air at 75% Max Power) and it works beautifully. If you keep the car you want limited on the same colour, the setting is saved.

ARC Air is recommended for 5+ and ARC Pro for 8+ years of age. I think that advice is good - although with supervision and good boundaries of always racing 'in-app' then both can be used with slightly younger racers. Personally, I would choose to match a much younger racer with either the new Micro Scalextric or basic 1/32 scale Scalextric with the latest 4-position speed-limiting hand controllers - they work really well. 

Hi Eltonio,

I don't quite understand your post.

The max power limiter is available in all ARC versions: In the APP for ARC AIR and ARC PRO and as a physical limiter in ARC ONE.

The dimmer comment was about ARC ONE which has the feature turned off in the app.

ARC PRO has it all...