HORNBY live steam eBay prices

mjb1961

A well know company that make live steam models for years and still going make a 040 tank engine the price starts at £336.00 there are many others out there making live steam like the one on the tv prog that ran 74 miles across Scotland. Price is relevant people will pay for a model what ever the price take R3677 LMS Duchess new at £189.99 is this a fair price. Or a lot of money I have one and would like to pay less but if you want it then you have no choice a coach starts at £30.99 to £57.00 each X 6 and again a lot to some but the engines no good with out coaches to pull. Our hobby isa good way of achieving a layout that is art in 3D and like any hobby cost money so spend your cash before the wife does.

i think Hornby made something like 45,000 units in live steam and are more popular now than first launched and we now have a live steam club which helps the system carry on.

This eBay auction is over and the Hornby Live Steam Papyrus sold for a whopping £2,600.00! Over £1,000.00 is crazy and daft, but over £2,000.00 is out of this world!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

Why don’t we suggest it to Hornby to restart the live Steam line up again and they would make a decent profit/revenue at 2600 each?

@MyNameIsNick

Welcome to the Hornby Forum, MyNameIsNick.  😀

The reason I think that is due to the fact that £2,600.00 is a lot of money every few people would afford that and due to it's high price tag, whether or not you could afford that or not, most people would not buy it, due to that price tag. There's no gaurantee they will sell, plus they would have to be produced limited number as well.

In this expensive day and age we live in, I could not see locomotives selling at tjose prices and quite frankly, I can't see the Live Steam range coming back, at all.

GNR-Gordon-4

A well know company that make live steam models for years and still going make a 040 tank engine the price starts at £336.00 there are many others out there making live steam like the one on the tv prog that ran 74 miles across Scotland. Price is relevant people will pay for a model what ever the price take R3677 LMS Duchess new at £189.99 is this a fair price. Or a lot of money I have one and would like to pay less but if you want it then you have no choice a coach starts at £30.99 to £57.00 each X 6 and again a lot to some but the engines no good with out coaches to pull. Our hobby isa good way of achieving a layout that is art in 3D and like any hobby cost money so spend your cash before the wife does.

i think Hornby made something like 45,000 units in live steam and are more popular now than first launched and we now have a live steam club which helps the system carry on.

The actual figure of Hornby production was between 13,000 and 14,000 only. Not quite as many as you think.

They are still excellent value, even at today’s average prices. This especially wild auction is an exception to the norm.

One has to expect the cost of things to rise including all models. If these marvels were to be manufactured now they would be retailed at around the 1000 pound mark In today’s market.

There will always be those who, regardless of price will want an exceptional model of something and these are definitely that. I have all eight models in the range and have spent £3500 in acquiring them all. They are all run and enjoyed, serviced and cleaned. I have never found them difficult to control, just learnt to operate them properly and notice how they all run slightly differen, just like the full size counterparts.

There are now single unique variants being produced as one offs to give the market something different to enjoy. Let’s see what they will fetch.!!!

I see there were 30 bids if only half were people that really wanted it it show a good strong following and this will only get stronger as time goes on 

uptosteam is right they are with out doubt in my mind great little models and given time as with the full size engine any one could drive them it's the not knowing what is going to happen when you first steam up will it run poorly or be very good and it will be down to your skill not a computer chip.

Hi,Just been checking, it seems that the latest, highest prices for modern hornby products (last 40 years),achieved at auctions, top 3 are Live steam, 5 out of top six also live steam.I refer to Ebay prices in the last months as they seem to be higher than 'auction houses'.If we include OO gauge Bachmann they are way down the list.As it is snowy will start a new thread top 10 Hornby products.I managed to buy 8 different live steam, all new, a while ago. Paid about £2,200

It is up to them. You are not allowed to place bids on an auction, on eBay, if you are not willing to pay the amount you bid, if you win the item.

GNR-Gordon-4

Happens all the time; I've just sold an item over £300 and the Buyer is refusing to reply. I will escalate with Ebay but despite all their words about 'if you bid you are entering a legal contract' they do nothing to 'force' the Buyer other than giving them a black mark. 

Hi,Papyrus, It's popularity lies,in perhaps that it is the only A3 in BR livery.Other two are Flying Scotfsman, single and Double tenders in LNER Livery.I am glad I bought mine when it first came out.I think is was a little more exspensive than the A4s, around £280.00.

Another one sold for 2500 yesterday on eBay

These 2 Papyrus sales at £2,600 and £2,500 have sparked a real renewal of interest in Hornby Live Steam.

The sad thing though is that it will stop a lot of people running theirs if they are brand new and unused. They are great fun to run and behave uncannily like the real thing but you do need to follow the advice and instructions issued by the OO Live Steam Club. 

There are well over 10,000 out there gathering dust on shelves and whilst many remain unused, most have been "run once", "test run only" or "hardly used" according to ebay so continuing to run them will not reduce their value. A "hardly used" Mallard set today sells for around what it did 15 years ago, £400 to £500.

Get yours out. Persuade a friend to get theirs out. Buy one. Run it.

They really are easy to run. Just visit any OO Live Steam Club Roadshow and watch the 4 year olds 'having a go'. Have a go yourself and start having fun!

Adrian Campbell

Chairman

OO Live Steam Club

Prices for secondhand models are going crazy on the likes of Ebay as time goes on, people profiteering on the models is commonplace.

It will only harm the market for these models in the long term, some will remember "Wrenn mania" when anything in any condition with the word Wrenn on went beserk pricewise, prices for Wrenn sky rocketted, then came the crash in prices and people were desperate to offload and prices have fallen outside of the online auction sites to an all time low.  Wrenn models simply got overpriced by investors and became a niche market model affordable by only those with a lot of spare cash, this wasn't substainable in the long term and the crash happended in the prices.

The same will happen with live steam in time. For now greed and avarice rules in prices for secondhand Hornby live steam on ebay, and it means new people won't be buying the models and the pool of owners will be restricted to those with plenty of money and the elite. This harms the marketplace in the long term as fewer people come into live steam, and thus interest drops off as less people come into the hobby of OO live steam, so a crash in prices will eventually come.

• 3 months later...

Archived