The new C8515 rev H DPR chip is awesome!

Dr_C

Scalextric have recently re-designed the C8515 DPR chip and produced a very powerful result. Not only does the chip handle much higher power levels than the previous version, but it also has a space for an auxillary plug and socket to handle front and tail lights. And, the tail lights can have functioning brake lights too!

Well done Scalextric! A great new design  which I am sure will be enjoyed by many :-)

Dr_C

C

Is there any way to identify this chip when purchasing ?

Like different color of packaging or a big rev H visible on it ?

Around here there are no dealers any more so it is all mail order now.

gorp

The part code remains unchanged between rev G and rev H i.e. C8515. However the packaging and the chip design layout are quite different.

rev G

====

packaging is yellow/blue

DPR chip has large cylindrical capacitor near the wiring socket.

New .. rev H

==========

packaging is white/grey

DPR chip doesnt have the large cylindrical capacitor and instead has space for lighting connector socket.

C

• 2 months later...

It seems that Hornby does not want to advertise this upgraded component as the only way to describe it is as noted by Dr_C.  If they put a Rev reference on the bottom then we could at least ask an on line seller what Rev it is.  With only one Scalextric retailer in my community, almost all purchasing is online, even though one of the Canadian distributors is very close by.  Pricing online from the UK can be competitive with local pricing, too!

• 2 months later...

Most retailers will now have the latest Rev H version in stock. You can tell the difference from the packaging (Rev H is grey, older ones blue & yellow) and the Rev H has no big cylindrical capacitor. Any retailer with a C8515 in stock should be able to describe the packaging to you. I just bought some more Rev H chips from Jadlams: https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/scalextric-digital-c8515-easyfit-plug-conversion/ 

Wiring up working brake lights is one of the many excellent features of the new chip. I think I put a link to an excellent tutorial for how to do this on another threat, but here it is again: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=165874

People are looking at wiring up other chips for working brake lights, but haven’t got there yet: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=185815

• Like 1

I agree with woodcote, if you want brake lights the simple option is to use a rev H DPR module (i.e C8515 rev H). These modules have microcontrollers onboard which generate the tail-light/brakelight signal and they also correctly buffer these signals through an electronic switching circuit to control the power levels to the lights. Any other approach would need to replicate the microcontroller signals and/or the electronic switching circuit. Rev H is a ready made solution... it just requires a bit of careful soldering to get four wires (or a standard socket) connected to the module...  not too difficult if you can solder... if not a friend or friendly model shop could help...

I use rev H DPR modules on the cars where I want brake lights and my older rev F and rev G DPR modules for the rest of my collection  :)

C

Hi Jase,

For the socket and wiring you need JST-ZH 1.5mm pitch 4 pin sockets with matching plugs. Easy to order on-line with wiring already attached to plugs... typically these come in packs of 10 for a few euro/dollars/pounds.There is a link embedded the tutorial referenced in woodcotes above post.

To brighten the headlights... you need to establsh whether the current LEDs are through-hole domed types or surface mount chip types... You then need to replace with similar sized uprated ones and you may have to adjust resistor values to get more current flowing... so this is a bit more complicated...

C

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I got my first new rev H chips in today and installed them into 2 Scalextric cars that were originally equipped with lights - using just the DPR. No brake lights and the lights are off until power is applied to the car and gradually get brighter as more power is applied, looks like a dimmer switch car running around the track - very disappointed I was expecting always bright head lights, dim tail lights and then brighter tail lights when I release the throttle. Guess the Scalextric DPR cars require the same modifications as a non DPR car.

I can't think of any Scalextric cars having working brakes out of the box. Constant rear lights yes, but brakes that activate...

I don't know for sure though!

As with so many of these things even if the hardware is there enabling it costs time and therefore money.

Darrel, its that easy, but it is easy. You have to fit another socket to the chip, then wire the front lights to two pins and the back lights to the other two pins. Then you have full time lights and active brake lights. the code is in the chip, you just need to interface the lights through a new connector. See really useful technical links on slotforum

I like the fact that Scalextric have developed a DPR decoder which has excellent power control for digital slot racing, and in addition, which has a nice hidden extra for users who wish to develop/apply their soldering skills. Rather than route folk to another website (as per above post), perhaps it makes better sense to have a DIY upgrade section on this forum. This could be used to exemplify the types of upgrade which can be carried out on Scalextric products to unlock their more advanced features - for example brake lights in this case. Is this an appropriate topic for the Scalextric forum?

c

• 2 weeks later...