Wimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

Toboldlygo

James-mower: I think we may have dealt with the same incredibly rude customer service agent. Starting every mail with "dear sir or madam" and basically accusing me of scamming Airfix for a spitfire canopy really put my back up. The use of language in the mail made with think the enquiry was being handled a very long way away.

For a £9 spitfire it wasn't worth the hassle but the victor (etc) is pushing £60 and I'm wary of spending that much if a missing part won't be replaced and I'm basically accused of fraud for requesting a part.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James-mower: I think we may have dealt with the same incredibly rude customer service agent. Starting every mail with "dear sir or madam" and basically accusing me of scamming Airfix for a spitfire canopy really put my back up. The use of language in the mail made with think the enquiry was being handled a very long way away.

For a £9 spitfire it wasn't worth the hassle but the victor (etc) is pushing £60 and I'm wary of spending that much if a missing part won't be replaced and I'm basically accused of fraud for requesting a part.

It's funny I lost my landcaste tail gunner clear part and had the same person

It's funny I lost my landcaste tail gunner clear part and had the same person

Which Lancaster? As I have spares  😎

Yeah I had noticed the box artwork, but a search of the internet shows all RAF flight crew (WW2 era wearing a VC) in wing crawling positions are sold out!! Somebody else must be already planning that, can't life be so unjust lol?

Modelu may be able to help - though you may need to be 3D scanned crawling on an actual Wellington wing  😉

Thanks.

The level of detail is truly amazing and well worth the wait to get this kit. I shall include more detail in my next Wellington build, which will be grounded!

Well I had a nice couple emails from someone senior at Airfix over last couple of days - they are checking the tooling on the Wellington and they 'found some spares'  😉

Thanks.

The level of detail is truly amazing and well worth the wait to get this kit. I shall include more detail in my next Wellington build, which will be grounded!

Well I had a nice couple emails from someone senior at Airfix over last couple of days - they are checking the tooling on the Wellington and they 'found some spares'  😉

I would like to point out this comment was in another thread @T2B Wellington IIC and the powers at be moved it without my permission or consent  🫨 

Ignore the previous two entries (as a result of the Powers that be)

Some 'unavailable' spares arrived this morning...

/media/tinymce_upload/f3e31bfcce41140382a3939f9c9c3380.jpg

Meanwhile, in-between a lot of swearing (rigging the Eindecker), some paint was applied to the Wimpy.

/media/tinymce_upload/54c365e2962e4b6f737741ca32f73fe6.jpg

Well James you seem to have got your mo-jo back because that is some decent progress! I have a few days now to make headway with mine before I'm away for a week when nothing will get done 🤔

And are you sure it was Admin??

Well James you seem to have got your mo-jo back because that is some decent progress! I have a few days now to make headway with mine before I'm away for a week when nothing will get done 🤔

And are you sure it was Admin??

Definitely was Admin/Moderators, I know where I posted that post!

@ James

Yes I know where it was initially posted too as I read it on my thread, what I meant was 'are sure it was Admin and not a Moderator' as I have previously known Moderators to move posts without consultation and despite my objections!! 

@ James

Yes I know where it was initially posted too as I read it on my thread, what I meant was 'are sure it was Admin and not a Moderator' as I have previously known Moderators to move posts without consultation and despite my objections!! 

Could be either, I've made a complaint about it..

Moving on, the fuselage glazing and various orifices are masked or plugged with foam ready for the final top coat of black.

/media/tinymce_upload/5f9ba83bf6ecae8a6b9f4b7af4940640.jpg

Slightly more progress over the last few days - underside masked up and Dark Earth top coat applied, allowed it to dry overnight and masked up this morning for the green.

/media/tinymce_upload/9e10d6de6147eccdab339530cb42076d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5adf2b0ed0868ed7d90c5ee4d2ede527.jpg

Currently the Dark Green has been applied and is drying in the paintshop..

Personally I would never move a post unless it was clearly misposted in the wrong thread. Please bear in mind we don't have a PM system on this board, neither do we have email addresses (I wouldn't want them in any case), so it's not possible to contact members about any moderator actions.

Busy day, so far...

Painting done, masking removed, some touch ups needed and a fair bit of assembly work...

Port side wing & tail plane fitted..

/media/tinymce_upload/015597ffcac79c1e023e8c56f5fa9bce.jpg

Starboard wing & tail plane fitted, engines over brushed in metallic black, cowlings glued in place and various metallic bits glued on the underside of the wings and cowlings..

/media/tinymce_upload/445cd450f06e4cabb4afb32e087f410a.jpg

Front over head view and couple more bits attached..

/media/tinymce_upload/0e2fb6f53bdf1aef5653c4ecbafc37b8.jpg

There may be more to come today...

More progress from yesterday..

Bomb bay internals & bombs fitted..

/media/tinymce_upload/8b0667ea2685bd7c48654832ff75e67a.jpg

Tail wheel painted & installed, main undercarriage struts installed (be warned they are a tight fit), main wheels assembled and temporaily installed - so she's sitting on her wheels for the first time...

/media/tinymce_upload/efb15d6545ddf29ae02821cfcf86eda8.jpg

So far this today, I've assembled the inner workings of the turrets and parts of the prop assembly - I've decided these will all be metallic black, rather than silver and black respectively.

Canopy painted and fitted, main wheels painted and fitted - she's nearing the finishing line assembly wise (bad light has stopped me posting more photo's  😉)

/media/tinymce_upload/5696fb3735d16a87856f13359eaf4e43.jpg

I must say it looks amazing and on a side note wimpy has quite the following its forum famous in a way ha I can imagine the ebay post 1/72 Wellington AKA wimpy airfix fourm famous start bid £50 haha it would be funny

Canopy painted and fitted, main wheels painted and fitted - she's nearing the finishing line assembly wise (bad light has stopped me posting more photo's  😉)

/media/tinymce_upload/5696fb3735d16a87856f13359eaf4e43.jpg

I must say it looks amazing and on a side note wimpy has quite the following its forum famous in a way ha I can imagine the ebay post 1/72 Wellington AKA wimpy airfix forum famous start bid £50 haha it would be funny

With the hours I've put in (especially a late night yesterday, painting the turrets) - I would think a starting bid of £200 would be more apt  😎

Front turret installed - make sure you assemble them square or they won't fit (hence the missing tail turret in this photo).

/media/tinymce_upload/ac5b1560204c57d45db36a24861708b1.jpg

All done, just awaiting transfers..

/media/tinymce_upload/ce3f51b07778671e20a0152ed100c2bd.jpg

Finished and the obligatory cameo - though she'll be started after the Shackleton* build is recommenced.

Worth noting the transfers are the best I've seen from Airfix, they needed no Micro Sol or Micro Set or Varnish of any kind - no silvering on the carrier film either.

/media/tinymce_upload/a5fc87e0d3af69a29d277fd834bb96a7.jpg

More photo's to come once the patio cools down.

* 5 loco & 3 Wagon Commissions come first

Posing in the late evening sun...

/media/tinymce_upload/e3892b67d7ea65e89abb67e7f18bd819.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6d10e1ed57ab6631574168b806f8b30c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e4ccc6dd5b5c3d4084b1735174076b0f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/62b99b09ce31811fe4a61aa18f318763.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4cd570144b612a975fcd0f1142215299.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e1878bfc2f18c364260c42d92a02e293.jpg

A very good build and lovely finish James. And I suspect there will be more Wimpy versions released in the near future to keep us busy as I will definately be getting more lol!

My Wimpy is now finished aswell and I'm busy uploading my photo's (though I don't think they will be moderated till Monday) and think I need to improve my photo locations and skills. But my Wimpy is a liitle different from yours, so worth a look on Monday even if I do say so myself  😉  

Archived