Wimpy! A Slightly Smaller Build - Vickers Wellington Mk.1A/C

Toboldlygo

@ james_mower

I've only started fitting the engine nacelles into the lower wings with no problems so far but I'm omitting the under-carriage parts as my first build of the Wellington with be in flight, and also will omit several internal fuselage parts. 

I will check that malformed part when I get home tonight!

As you are doing the Wimpy in flight, you've removed the under carriage doors it's an easy fit.

On that note (for those about to start the kit) - do not apply any glue until you've dry fitted the nacelles (with doors in place). You have sufficient enough room to lift them slightly and apply glue without getting yourselves into a sticky mess.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T2B,

Yes it does help, thank you. When I was trying to make sense of the instructions without the benefit of the kit parts in front of me, I could see what seemed to be a large central partition with bombs either side, but that looked to be taking up a fair volume of the bomb bay, which didn’t make sense to me.

For larger payloads they just removed the central sections and the bomb bay doors - from what I've read on tinternet (and from 'other' sources')

@james_mower 

A check of my kit also showed part E2 to be malformed, though as you say it can probably be reshaped into the correct position without too much difficulty!

Haven't checked my 2nd kit yet but part E2 and E3 appear to be identical so with my 1st build omitting these parts I should be OK using both E3 parts on my second build??

Though Airfix do need to be aware to rectify the issue as constantly replacing malformed parts will effect the profitability of the kit and future releases, and not good for public relations as some will view it as a major issue

@james_mower 

A check of my kit also showed part E2 to be malformed, though as you say it can probably be reshaped into the correct position without too much difficulty!

Haven't checked my 2nd kit yet but part E2 and E3 appear to be identical so with my 1st build omitting these parts I should be OK using both E3 parts on my second build??

Though Airfix do need to be aware to rectify the issue as constantly replacing malformed parts will effect the profitability of the kit and future releases, and not good for public relations as some will view it as a major issue

E1 & E2 (not E3) should be intentical, so using two E1's will do just fine.

I emailed Airfix yesterday and got a response very quickly from their Customer Care team asking me to give the batch/trace number on the little white label on the back of the box, they didn't say if it was a wide spread problem or not.

In the meantime I had a pleasant surprise while watching the RAF100 Flypast - the transport section flew over my house at low level. Once I got over the surprise and shock of the Hercules & Atlas going over - I grabbed the camera and photographed the Globemaster & BAE 146

/media/tinymce_upload/c1204d3070392f4d70cb15c8f41c0245.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5252bfbff61b5d420cb4bb69619fa552.jpg

Wow that would have been some sight!! Your photos haven't loaded properly on my phone so will view them when I get home on my PC.

And yes your right, part E1 & 2 are identical. I'm at work and did my post from memory and got my numbers mixed up! Though I probably won't need any replacement parts I'll email Airfix with the batch numbers just so they are aware and can determine if it's a batch issue or a fault with the mould?

Wow that would have been some sight!! Your photos haven't loaded properly on my phone so will view them when I get home on my PC.

And yes your right, part E1 & 2 are identical. I'm at work and did my post from memory and got my numbers mixed up! Though I probably won't need any replacement parts I'll email Airfix with the batch numbers just so they are aware and can determine if it's a batch issue or a fault with the mould?

A friend from work video'd the Typhoons, Lightning II's, Hawks, Tornado's & Red Arrows go over his house (Hayes) going back to their bases. I think the routes they'd been allotted made sure they went over places where RAF aircraft of old were built.

I suspect either the part in question hadn't cooled sufficiently when it was pulled from the mold or the mold in that area didn't have enough releasing agent applied, so it was sticking when it was removed.

Test fit of the bomb bay partitions (& doors)

/media/tinymce_upload/086862a88af06452057242088de044e4.jpg

More work done, be warned the glazing is both a tight fit and fragile..

/media/tinymce_upload/a7421ba92834b936c8c0ac2b0d7fabb2.jpg

FWIW "The Dam Busters" (film) contains footage of the original Chesil and Reculver trials of the half-scale Upkeep on a Wellington and Highball on a Mosquito. It's quite obvious from that footage that the Upkeep is semi-recessed so the central divider on the Wimpey bomb bay must be removable (or not always installed).

james_mower 

417 posts

I emailed Airfix yesterday and got a response very quickly from their Customer Care team asking me to give the batch/trace number on the little white label on the back of the box, they didn't say if it was a wide spread problem or not.

My kit also has this fault but the response from Airfix has not been favourable. Some guff about the kit having been bought within the last 12 months and the place of purchase being able to replace or refund me.  

Two things, it was released less than a month ago and they sold it to me! Hmmm?

I bought a Photo recon spit xix from an eBay seller which was missing the clear parts and had ten days of time wasting from customer care which basically culminated with "we don't have any spares even though the kit is in stock". In the end I used the kit for spare parts. Ok for a kit that price. NOT ok for a £30 model..... 

james_mower 

417 posts

My kit also has this fault but the response from Airfix has not been favourable. Some guff about the kit having been bought within the last 12 months and the place of purchase being able to replace or refund me.  

I've now taken things further and made a formal complaint to them, not only about the Wellington, but the missing parts of the Shackleton AEW.2. I'll give them a week to reply - if not I'm taking legal action.

Just to go back to the conversation about the bomb bay from earlier, I wanted to say a) thanks, James, for including a photo of this area, and b) thanks to everyone who provided information on the bomb bay of a Wellington.

I think I was a bit vague on what I was after initially. My point was that the instructions did not clearly show that the whole bay was divided into three of almost equal width. Airfix appear to have provided just 6 bombs, three each for the outer two sections, and none for the middle section. For those who have this kit, I guess this is correct. In fact, the instructions seem to suggest there is not enough room for a set of bombs in the middle section, even if one has spares available.

I have many references that I can consult here. The Haynes manual has one or two good photos, but the best is the 4+ Publications book which includes a set of loading diagrams for a whole variety of bomb loads, so this will be my reference once I get the kit.

james_mower 

417 posts

I've now taken things further and made a formal complaint to them, not only about the Wellington, but the missing parts of the Shackleton AEW.2. I'll give them a week to reply - if not I'm taking legal action.

Well legal actions are not advisable it my take what's left of the hornby company's money 😢

Hi, 

I don't wish to upset everyone but I'm really not into this new popular sport - Airfix Bashing. 

OK the new tool Wellington in an ideal world shouldn't have a malformed part, but can we all honestly say no other manufacturer has ever produced a kit with malformed parts, or missing parts? I bought 2 of these kits on Pre-Order and both have the same issue so maybe I should be upset too.? But No! /media/tinymce_upload/59fe5dd579deba9eddd89d525a6327f9.JPG 

/media/tinymce_upload/3b5246c31734e7645834c62f35a4dda0.JPG

The 2 photo's show the parts E1 & E2, the malformed E2 part being nearest the camera on the second photo. Then ..................................................

/media/tinymce_upload/ddeac34c7a380fe025574040a46225e5.JPG

5 minutes later with a pair of flat nosed pliers, some strong tweezers and a bowl of very very hot water and we have 2 useable parts!

/media/tinymce_upload/94cd1344a2b6cf7f010fb6086edf88ac.JPG

Oh and maybe just a very, very small amount of modelling skill was required. 

Just to go back to the conversation about the bomb bay from earlier, I wanted to say a) thanks, James, for including a photo of this area, and b) thanks to everyone who provided information on the bomb bay of a Wellington.

I think I was a bit vague on what I was after initially. My point was that the instructions did not clearly show that the whole bay was divided into three of almost equal width. Airfix appear to have provided just 6 bombs, three each for the outer two sections, and none for the middle section. For those who have this kit, I guess this is correct. In fact, the instructions seem to suggest there is not enough room for a set of bombs in the middle section, even if one has spares available.

I have many references that I can consult here. The Haynes manual has one or two good photos, but the best is the 4+ Publications book which includes a set of loading diagrams for a whole variety of bomb loads, so this will be my reference once I get the kit.

Well, this is more "computer drawn destructions" than "Wimpey", but you're not alone in finding modern that modern sheets can be "somewhat vague" in places (and no one manufacturer is the sole offender here).

Well done T2B,

Good to get some perspective on things!

Thanks PMM, I just wanted to redress the balance a little bit because I felt there was too much Airfix Bashing going on, not just in this thread, I see it happening on others too!

Yes, well done T2B. I think what you have shown is, in part, precisely what this blog is all about - sharing information to help each other improve their efforts.

And P4T, I agree that my problem has been one of interpretation of the instructions. That said, I do think Airfix have moved a long way to improving their instructions from the days of 'locate & cement part ...'. I treat them as part of my reference material now.

And as for reference material, when consulting these few magazines [below], I have reaced the conclusions that a) Marks 1a & 1c could both have 'faired' or 'cut-back' turret surrounds, while b) the Mark 1a did not have the triangular side windows, while the Mark 1c either had them or not. Pictures supporting these conculsons can be found in these references. That said, I assume the new Airfix kit could well be used for both marks, with perhaps a little surgery on the fairings.

/media/tinymce_upload/f96815cd3233db03ec67ee2e37a3c195.JPG

I just want to be clear, it is not my intention to “bash” Airfix for the sake of it, I have good reason to take issue with them. Their new Wellington kit is not a cheap model, superb as it is, but my purchase has a defect and I expect a level of customer support that at least matches a minimum standard, in my opinion Airfix has not lived up to this. Their response to my complaint was dismissive by telling me to take it back to the retailer when I clearly informed them that I had bought it direct from Airfix. 

I am mindful that this is another forum members build thread and do not wish to detract from it.

I just want to be clear, it is not my intention to “bash” Airfix for the sake of it, I have good reason to take issue with them. Their new Wellington kit is not a cheap model, superb as it is, but my purchase has a defect and I expect a level of customer support that at least matches a minimum standard, in my opinion Airfix has not lived up to this. Their response to my complaint was dismissive by telling me to take it back to the retailer when I clearly informed them that I had bought it direct from Airfix. 

I am mindful that this is another forum members build thread and do not wish to detract from it.

Not a problem.

Sounds like you had the same "Individual" who really really really annoyed me with it's rudeness - I have since put a formal complaint in and it's being dealt with by someone more mature and higher up the food chain.

@T2B

If I was truly Airfix Bashing, I'd be using a very large and heavy hammer - I am a Tinsmith by trade after all and I did use to work in the T2B (Black Hanger) hanger at Dunsfold for BAE Systems.

There's an old Aerospace saying - Never (Insert Expletive - sounds like Duck) with a Tinsmith and unfortunately this is what this individual at Customer Complaints did - hence them (Airfix) getting both barrels...

.. I've had issues with four 'New Tool' Airfix kits on the trot

1. Sea Fury FB.11 - Molding shorts (Tail & Cannon)
  2. Messerschmitt BF109 - Short Molding (Missing Pitot Tube)
  3. Shackleton AEW.2 - Missing & broken parts
  4. Wellington Mk.1A - Deformed E2 easily fixable, but it shouldn't happen.

The offending Wellington part

/media/tinymce_upload/87616e01ca97813731baf2cf56fa9227.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/854c2d9ac9cc499196cd344c73bd614c.jpg

And the missing/damage parts on the Shackleton (the missing glazing in a sealed bag was the last straw)

/media/tinymce_upload/3493d7792634c62d60cd3bd905fd45cc.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/65b161a72d8b12ee61e686a7a9f19f21.jpg

Also going back to the discussion on the bomb bay, from what I have read, Wellingtons would usually carry a mixture of 500 lb and 250lb bombs (I think five or six each), however I think bomb loads may vary depending on the mission.

Here's a few bomb loads

Codename

Type of raid or   target

Bomb load

"Arson"

incendiary area bombing

14 SBC, each with 236 x 4 lb Incendiary and Explosive   Incendiary bomblets, total 3,304.

"Abnormal"

factories, railway yards, dockyards

14 x 1,000 lb GP/HE bombs using both impact and long   delay (up to 144 hours) fuses.

"Cookie"—or—"Plumduff"

Blast, demolition and fire

1 x 4,000 lb impact-fused HC bomb. 3 x 1,000 lb   GP/HE bombs, and up to 6 SBCs with 1,416 incendiary bomblets.

"Gardening"

Mining of ports, canals, rivers and seaways

6 x 1,850 lb parachute mines.

"No-Ball"

V-1 flying bomb launch sites

1 x 4,000 lb impact fused HC and up to 18 x   500 lb GP bombs, with both impact and delay fusing.

"Piece"

Docks, fortifications and ships

6 x 2,000 lb short-delay fused AP bombs, plus other   GP/HE bombs based on local needs or availability.

"Plumduff-Plus"

Heavy industry

1 x 8,000 lb impact or barometric fused HC and up to   6 x 500 lbs impact or delay fused GP/HE bombs.

"Usual"

Blast and incendiary area bombing

1 x 4,000 lb impact-fused HC bomb, and 12 SBCs with a   total of 2,832 incendiary bomblets.

no code name given

Medium-range low altitude tactical raids

6 x 1,000 lb short and long delay fused GP/HE bombs,   additional 250 lb GP/HE bombs sometimes added.

Archived