1:72nd Scale Vickers Wellington Mk.IC

T2B

Thanks John, mine was the inspiration but I had some help from a modelling friend who had the material he uses for steam from train engines and a wider selection of airbrush colours than I, to execute the flame effect from the engine  😀

Hi Paw's

If the kits were small, 1/96 scale, they  probably were Eagle-Wall, I only made the one kit a Spitfire Mk IX more out of curiourity than anyting else but I was quite pleased with the clear disc propeller.

Remember we do this for fun                              John the Pom

I honestly only ever saw them built and displayed (on the TV I think) and can't remember anything more than the description given and that one was a twin engined amphibian (probably a Grumann Duck, certainly not as big as a PBY). Anyway, the real point was that you can replicate that design of prop disc with some clear plastic sheet and a compass cutter.

• 2 weeks later...

For spinning props try this product

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alliance-Model-Works-Dynamic-Propeller-for-1-72-F3F-3-2-74m-Hamilton-STD/401475113512?hash=item5d79c81228:g:PxQAAOSw9vlaWG9-

it's basically a wire spiral far better suited to radial kits than those with big prop spinners but can look ok if done well. In all honesty id give them 5/10 for effect. I put one on a swordfish and it looked great. On a hurricane it looked amateur.

For what it’s worth, I remember one or two Frog kits in the late 60s, early 70s came with a solid clear plastic disc [per engine] to replace the conventional static propeller. On these were scribed a set of ‘blurred’ blades, supposedly to be painted or nowadays given a wash to simulate movement. I can’t say the finished article looked that great, back then.

Archived