Why are Ertl Thomas the tank engine trains so expensive online?

Hello, 

I was looking on Amazon, and I was quite overwhelmed at how expensive the Ertl die-cast Thomas the tank engine trains from the 90s are. I saw an Ertl Gordon the blue engine train that cost £145.43. 

Does anybody else agree that this is a little bit ridiculous? I owned quite a few of the older Ertl trains that had paper faces as a young boy, and I don't remember them ever being that expensive. You could buy them in corner shops for about £3 each back then. 

Is it something to do with them being rare, or the fact that they are collector's items? 

Thanks.

Peter.

I can't understand why anyone would want to pay that much for something that is essentially a piece of metal with a face and a set of wheels. I would understand if it was a Hornby Gordon. I personally wouldn't pay £145 for a die cast train, especially since you can't really do much with it and you can't buy any track for it. 

I had many of the Ertl trains as a young boy. I had Thomas, James, Diesel, Percy, Gordon, Duck, Oliver, Edward, George, Boco, and the list goes on. 

Walkingthedog, 

Thomas the tank engine was quite popular when I was a young boy, so I can't understand why the Ertl trains weren't expensive back then. Considering the programme is not as popular now and the children of today's generation are more into video games and modern television programmes, you would expect they would be quite cheap now. 

Peter Machin, the Thomas & Friends brand is a very collectible brand. All Thomas & Friends merchandise is expensive. My favourite sort is the model railway sort, from Hornby and by Bachmann Trains.

ERTL closed down in 2004, so their Thomas & Friedns products suddenly ended production. I find used examples are generally cheap on eBay, but usually they are covered in paint chips, so those particular trains in that condition is no good for a collector. The new and unopened, still factory sealed examples are highly priced, for several reasons, including that these products are disdcontinued and have not been in production for such a long time.

I do prefer the ERTL diecast line, over the Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends: Take Along, Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends: Take-n-Play and Fisher Price Thomas & Friends: Adventures die-cast trains products.

GNR-Gordon-4

GNR-Gordon-4, 

I wasn't aware they did make Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and 3 by Ertl (Also known as Smashed, Broken and Sunk by Thomas). 

I remember the episode with the lorries, though. It was very funny when one of the lorries drove off a cliff, and the driver lay on the ground with a terrible bump on his head saying "Rotten roads.". A very funny episode. 

Yes, ERTL released all three. Lorry-1 was released on a short wheel based flatbed, wuth green on him, to represent algy. Lorry-2 was undamged, with a cloth sort load on the back. Lorry-3 was standard again, undamged with a removerable crate load on the back.

I want a new Lorry-3, as mine has paint chips all over it. Other than this, ERTL's Horrid Lorries are great pieces. It's unlike they will get released by Fisher-Price, as they only ever appeared once, in the TV series.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 1 month later...

GNR-Gordon-4, 

I have never had Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and Lorry 3. They sound good, though. The only Ertl trains and vehicles I had as a young boy and still have now are: 

• Thomas (Paper face). 

• James. 

• Scrap Trevor. 

• Gordon. 

• Toby (Paper face). 

• Diesel. 

• Henry. 

• Boco. 

• Percy. 

• Edward. 

• Duncan. 

• Annie and Clarabel. 

• Mavis. 

• Duck. 

• Sir Handel. 

• Smudger. 

• George. 

• Butch. 

• S.C. Ruffey. 

• The Spiteful Brake Van. 

GNR-Gordon-4, 

Quite a few of the earlier Thomas the tank engine toys relied on paper decals, rather than having the image/detail printed or painted onto the toys. 

Notable examples are the older wooden Thomas the tank engine figures. Instead of the image being printed or painted onto the wood, the image was nothing more than a sticker held onto the wooden outline with strong superglue. 

Archived