My first layout after 2 months starting

ackers5861

Hi Daniel I noticed drums In your shed be careful if you have petrol or flammable products as you can get sparks that could ignite and would be very nasty as they may explode if fumes are there.  I really like the scenery that you have done so far you said skills from wargamimg please send more pictures as you progress look forward to see more all the best from David in Perth Australia

Thanks fo the comments and concerns. Much appreciated. I do admittedly have fuel for my old nitro-powered RC vehicles, which are in the process of being cleared along with the fuel (just need to find a potential buyer before resorting to scrapping them). Garage clearance has been an ongoing process with other potentially harmful, combustible products removed (e.g. old camping stove with fuel), so fire -related or equivalent hazards should be essentially zero (never had a problem with anything in the past). Most other liquids should be just old paint, which could go as well to save up clutter.

Took a brief break from the layout due to work and mental blockages, so not too much has happened other than planning, which would explain the lack of activity. Will hopefully get more updates posted on along with some trains running. Got a very nice station to show off which has been worked on this past week.

Thanks fo the comments and concerns. Much appreciated. I do admittedly have fuel for my old nitro-powered RC vehicles, which are in the process of being cleared along with the fuel (just need to find a potential buyer before resorting to scrapping them). Garage clearance has been an ongoing process with other potentially harmful, combustible products removed (e.g. old camping stove with fuel), so fire -related or equivalent hazards should be essentially zero (never had a problem with anything in the past). Most other liquids should be just old paint, which could go as well to save up clutter.

Took a brief break from the layout due to work and mental blockages, so not too much has happened other than planning, which would explain the lack of activity. Will hopefully get more updates posted on along with some trains running. Got a very nice station to show off which has been worked on this past week.                                                                              Hi Daniel with your scenery what is the base foam or plaster it looks so good you have a artistic flair for making it look so realistic perhaps you could do a topic on scenery if you have the time or video if you can cheers from David in Australia

Update on progress. 

Spent a good chunk of this week building and setting up my station, which is metcalfe, so it admittedly isn’t anything too special. I figured it nonetheless looked the part and was more or less the closest approximation to what I originally envisaged without resorting to scratch building (which I don’t think I’m quite prepared to do when it comes to buildings). The shortness of the platform does let it down I suppose, but I don’t really plan to run particularly long stock given the space limitation. My larger class of locos coupled to the teak-sized coaches do slightly foul up the point next to the signal box when parked, so I may need to invest in smaller coaches and/or shorter buffer stops soon.

There are plans for another platform on the otherside, but I think I might directly inspire it off the Buckfastleigh railway station in South Devon, where it looks to be more of a decorative piece, https://goo.gl/images/Ercazx   

As can be told by the pictures, there is still a lot to do for the station area alone, but it’s gettng there, and it’s  all part of the fun. Hopefully, I can get the street lamps wired up and working soon as well.

/media/tinymce_upload/efb078bc09bda13f76bdd77e2fd01cb7.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/5c130550ac7c40857714df0cd686fefe.jpg

The strap of metcalfe brick card facing in front of the station/car park represents what will eventually be a wall, which was a very recent idea of mine and was propped up to see how it would look if made.

/media/tinymce_upload/6c4b0b61d9736ba7c360325b867bce75.jpgw/media/tinymce_upload/67ffb4c860d1efe345ff329135b86856.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/edb8ba6aa5944440b84051816cedd913.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/ab14e1fddf94b7cbe967f3d85e0af8a2.jpg

#ackers5861

I really love what you are doing to make what could so easily be just another toy train set into a real model railway.  I particulalry like the way you are incoroprating the station approach.

10/10 for inginuity and 10/10 for modelling skill.

You have achieved so much in such a short time too.

Well done.

Archived