Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! - Series 22

NWR-Gordon-4

Dearie me. I found the very first episode of the rebooted series of 'Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures!' this morning, on YouTube and I couldn't finish it. I knew this series would be rubbish and I knew this reboot would ruin it, but I found worse than I thought. I found what saw of it too cheesy and just too informative. No adventures anymore on the Island of Sodor.

Anybody else seen this episode, or any other episodes, what did you of it? All I can say is that I doubt I will go back to finish the episode and I doubt I will watch anymore. All I can is that Thomas the Tank Engine has been ruined for me, for life, unless the TV series get restored to it's former format.

GNR-Gordon-4

it makes me sad i loved thomas the tank and with a three year old brother i got an excuse to watch some and then i found this on the youtubes for him and it made me sick on the inside to the point of i could not watch it  and this style is rubbish but he for some unknown reason he loves it to the point of he wount watch any thing else but this he hates the classic series and the miller era (understandibale) but 18/21 were ok he liked them till this turned up   "how the great have fallen" Transformers 2006

@Mr de Havilland; Posted at 13:10:23 Thu, 6 Sep 2018 (UK time)

I couldn't agree more with you. I just don't why these changes had to be made. The reboot of the series I excepted was moving from filming on a model railway, to the change of CGI. This reboot, I cannot except. It's 100% made for kids now. Learning about basic things in life; Who wants to watch this if you are, let's say 6 or 7 plus? Many adults still love Thomas the Tank Engine, but this has just reuined it, for good.

Only The Railway Series books are wortthing reading. As for the TV series, watch only from Sereis 1 - 21, as well as the films / feature length specials made in this time and ignore everything afterwards, unless the old format comes back, which has the chance of seeing a flying pig in the sky!  🫨 🤔 😆 😀

@RAF96; Posted at 16:56:36 Thu, 6 Sep 2018 (UK time)

😆

GNR-Gordon-4

R.I.P.

The Railway Series lives on in my heart and mind and I'm sure many others'. Honestly, I cried after watching the first two episodes. I hadn't watched Thomas and friends since about series 7 to be honest, just caught the odd episode and read up on the later series. I'd heard that series 18-22 had reintroduced most of the old characters such as Duck, Oliver, Donald and Douglas etc, so I thought for one moment that it may have redeemed itself.

No.

This new series has brought the show to an end. I get that they are trying to be more outgoing and inclusive, but they've gone about it in completely the wrong way. For me, Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends has always been a calm, sensible series of meaningful stories set to real railway scenarios. It has now become a monstrosity of an action-packed cartoon adventure thrill ride.

As I understand it, Edward has gone off to live with Philip (arguably the Jar Jar Binks of Thomas and Friends) nearer his branch line. Now, in the Railway Series, Edward has lived at his station since he got his own branch line. As of the last book, the Big Shed was where Gordon, Henry, James, Donald, Douglas, Duck and BoCo stayed on and off. Thomas, of course, lives at the end of his branch line with Toby and Percy. So that's not a huge problem for me, but it's their dropping from lead roles that has saddened me most.

This follows the discontinuation the wooden railway range of Thomas and Friends, another appalling decision.

Honestly, I cannot express my disappointment, fear, sadness, anger and pain in words.

What's that I see? I think Rev. Awdry has spun so violently in his grave, he's gone into orbit.

GWR & LNER fan 4472, I couldn’t agree with you more. I am sad that Thomas has been ruined this way too. I will never watch a new episode again, only if the old format gets brought back, which probably won’t and ever happen, because baby children today will probably like this format of Thomas & Frienew over the previous format.

Yes, between Series 17 and 21, old favourite‘s like Duck, Donald, Douglas, Oliver, Toad and Daisy have returned. Not to sure if they appear in Series 22. I could look it up on the Thomas & Wikia, but this will make me sad, so I won’t look it up. I have no interest in watching Series 22, with it’s stupid title ‘Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures!’, so I don’t need to know which characters are in it and who are not.

What I do know is that Edward and Henry are not in the Steam Team, which is just plain wrong. Thomas number 1, Edward number 2, Henry number 3, Gordon number 4, James number 5, Percy number 6 and Emily no number; All were part of the Steam Team. Now that Edward and Henry are not and these two female engines have replaced them (Not sure of their names and I refuse to learn them), this just spoils the numerical order of 1 to 6.

GNR-Gordon-4

This afternoon, I forced myself to finish watching 'Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! - Series 22 Episode 1: Number One Engine', on YouTube. It wasn't very interesting to watch and I don't the way Thomas is now the narrator. Seems a bit a sad that there is no longer a narrator, who is not a character in the programme.

Also, the episode didn't really have a story to it, so it became very boring to watch, even though the main story is 7 minutes long. The other 4 minutes is filled with the intro, songs, lessons learned and the outro. I feel though that Mattel Creations have been lazy with the animation side of this reboot, of Thomas & Friends. The episode, Thomas is in China. However, all of the locations, it just looked the Island of Sodor. No effort has been made to make it look like China, at all. Even though they tld you at the start of the episode that Thomas is China, it still oiked the Island of Sodor.

Something else that is very noticeable and makes the location look like the Island of Sodor also, is that the coupilings on the rolling stock and Chinese engines are wrong. The Chinese locomotives all have the BR coupiling system and very doubt they use this in China. Also, the rolling stock itself is wrong. It's all BR rolling stock, which also gives you an idea that they on the Island of Sodor and not in China. The Red Open Wagon's, Oil Tanker's and even BR Brake Van's, all appeared in this episode, which is just plain wrong, when they are supposed to be in China!  🤔 😆

The new characters introduced in this episode, are as follows:

1. Yong Bao, who is a China Railways RM
  2. Hong-Mei, who is a China Railways GJ
  3. An An and Yin-Long, who are LB&SCR Four Wheel Coaches

An An and Yin-Long appear to be China's equivalent to Annie and Clarabel, considering that they are the same coaches as Annie Clarabel are, just painted dark green with a red stripe, compared Annie and Clarabel who are orange. Also, An An and Yin-Long were both being pulled by Thomas, in this episode.

Not sure if you have noticed, that these four names seem to be a bit of mouthful to prounce. Yong Bao, Hong-Mei, An An and Yin-Long just does not seem to roll off the tongue, for me. They are typically Chinese names!  😆

I suppose I will force myself to the watch the other four episodes, that aired this week. Not sure when. Perhaps I will have soemthing to say here about them, if I do watch them!  😉 😆

GNR-Gordon-4

I have just finished watching 'Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! - Series 22 Episode 2: Forever and Ever'. This episide was better than 'Number One Engine'. It had a better story line plus it this episode is based on the Island of Sodor. I noticed a lot more body movement, when the engines were talking, some Thomas & Friends is becoming like Chuggington. No thanks to Mattel Creations, for this.

Episode was about Gordon not liking the changes, of Edward and Henry moving out of Tidmouth Sheds. I don't blame Gordon for not liking the change, because I don't like it either.

The new character introduced in this episode is, as follows:

1. Nia, who is a KUR ED1/EAR 11 Class

GNR-Gordon-4

I have just finished watching 'Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! - Series 22 Episode 2: Forever and Ever'. This episide was better than 'Number One Engine'. It had a better story line plus it this episode is based on the Island of Sodor. I noticed a lot more body movement, when the engines were talking, some Thomas & Friends is becoming like Chuggington. No thanks to Mattel Creations, for this.

Episode was about Gordon not liking the changes, of Edward and Henry moving out of Tidmouth Sheds. I don't blame Gordon for not liking the change, because I don't like it either.

1. Nia, who is a KUR ED1/EAR 11 Class

GNR-Gordon-4

To be honest i wish thay just did a main land thing like th GWR or somthing.

What just focus Thomas & Friends on the GWR? In that case then, all characters would have to be removed, apart from Duck, Oliver and Toad.

GNR-Gordon-4

Its more a thing of thay have bean to the main land before so, why not do it so mr fat conntroler said his freind (plasceholer) needed more engines you make it so we take james gordan henry perrcy ect, and the rest stay on sodor so we can get new caracters such as a deltic/more diesils and genaral intresting stuff i mean well never se a deltic on sodor 

also GWR was the first thing that came to mind 

Perhaps something like a Deltic will move to Sodor. May not happen though, as the series is no longer mainly based on the Island of Sodor. Mainly it's based in other countires, which so far has been China and India.

GNR-Gordon-4

At this point i cant care at all untill we go to the USA USA! USA!! sorry i realy like us trains

I think the USA will be interesting in Thomas & Friends, probaably more interesting than Thomas going to China and India all of the time. I thought today's episode, 'Thomas Goes to Bollywood', would be in the USA, but it turned out that Thomas was working backstage, of a Bollywood film, being filmed in India, on the Indian Railway. Also, Thomas wanted to get himself in the film and in the end he did.

Whoops! Spoiler alert!  😉 😆

GNR-Gordon-4

I don’t know really. I just assumed before I watched that particular episode, it would be in the USA. I wonder if there is an USA episode coming up?

UPDATE:

Just been on the Series 22 page of the Thomas & Friends Wikia and without clicking on each indivual episode, none of them appear to be in the USA, by reading  a short description, of each episode.

GNR-Gordon-4

I have just finished watching 'Thomas & Friends: Big World! Big Adventures! - Series 22 Episode 3: Confustion Without Delay', on Google Drive. This episode was nicely written episode. It also saw the return of Flying Scotsman, since his last main talking apperance, which was in Thomas & Friends: The Great Race - The Movie, released back in 2016. Flying Scotsman was seen twice at Vicarstown Station, in this episode. Also, it was great and nice to hear Flying Scotsman calling Gordon, "my little brother".

• Rebecca, who is a SR West Country Class

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived