Why did Hornby create only a few Thomas the tank engine models?

@Walkingthedog, 

All of the locomotives from the Thomas the tank engine range, apart from Bertie and the battery Thomas, are far from toy-like, hence why there is a warning on the back of the packaging saying that they are not toys, they have functional sharp points and that they are for adult collectors. 

They are basically repaints of the ordinary locomotives with faces added to them. They can still get damaged if you handle them too roughly, and they can go just as fast as the ordinary locomotives as well. 

GNR-Gordon-4, 

I have never had a Hornby Bertie, so I don't know how big it is. When I saw it on the picture that new lad on the block posted the other day of all the locomotives in the Thomas the tank engine range, I suspected that the Hornby Bertie would be about the same size as the Tomica World Bertie. 

However, from what you have said, it must be a bit bigger than that, and thus will be unsuitable for my layout as it is out of scale as you say. I don't think I will be getting Bertie any time soon, though, or creating a road system for my layout. I have so little space on my layout that I cannot even consider creating a decent road system.  😆

@Peter Machin

I have never owned a Hornby Bertie the Bus only. Wierdly, as a collector of the range I don't want one and never have. I have seen it in real life, however and I can confirm that it is not to scale. Have you ever bought an Oxford Diecast 1:76 scale road vehicle? Technically, Hornby's Bertie the Bus should be as small as these are. Yes, I know with the owener's regulations that won't allow a Thomas piece of merchandise to be as small as this, but that is the size Bertie the Bus should be, to be accurately scaled.

@walkingthedog

WTD, R9257 / R9749 Spencer's, R9292 Henry and R9684 Murdoch all have toolings from the Hornby RailRoad range. Just to confirm that R9257 / R9749 Spencer's have the RailRoad A4 Pacific tooling; R9292 Henry has the RailRoad Black 5 tooling and R9684 Murdoch as the RailRoad Class 9F tooling; All are missing the smokebox doors for faces and painted in those characters liveries.

GNR-Gordon-4

I will try to get Murdoch and Spencer soon, providing they can still be bought.  😆

You will be lucky to get those two now. They are the hardest of Hornby's Thomas locomotives to get hold of. If you do find them, you willl need a few hundred pounds to get them.

For either of the two Spencer's, you will need between £400.00 and £600.00 or more. For Murdoch, you will need between £500.00 and £600.00, or more. These are based off auctions I have seen on eBay for these two, within the past year.

GNR-Gordon-4

@GNR-Gordon-4, 

I have bought some Oxford Die-cast 1:76 road vehicles for layout. I agree about the fact that Bertie should be the same scale as one of those, but I think the only reason he is bigger is because Hornby needed space to put in the motor and drive unit. 

As for Murdoch and Spencer, I am afraid I can't buy them just yet, being as they are that expensive. 

Plus the owners of Thomas & Friends laws that the products have to be of a certain size, as they would be a choking hazard to baby children, a we would never get a figure or a road vehicle in the proper scale of 1:76.

By the way, with Hornby Spencer and Hornby Murdoch, they do not come on eBay very often either. Spencer probably a bit more than Murdoch, as Hornby released more Soencer’s than they did of Murdoch’s.

GNR-Gordon-4

@New lad on the block, 

The Hornby Bertie may well be smaller than some die-cast vehicles, but the Hornby Bertie is still unfortunately out of scale. It is also a bit too "toy-like" in appearance to go well with my layout, and it lacks detail. Unlike the coaches and the locomotive cabs, there is no interior detail of the Hornby Bertie whatsoever. It does have paper decals on each side with images of the passengers sat down, to make it seem like it has people inside it. However, the decals could easily begin to peel off, and the model would look quite bare without them. 

Archived