Vent van, GWR coaches, and more

2e0dtoeric

Sorry to say so but as a crusty old dinosaur I prefer to listen to the noise my trains make running round the layout so I shall not be adding one of these to my collection. But what I cannot understand is why the wagon is painted to show it is  a condemned wagon.

The J36 is certainly a great looking model I may well add a BR livery one to my collection.

...But what I cannot understand is why the wagon is painted to show it is  a condemned wagon.

The idea is it will be abandoned in a siding to play its little tunes forevermore, or be dumped off track and wired to a bus using the chassis tags they forgot to tell you about.

Ideally suited to having an RM program or two so the operator doesn't have to devote any time to plating it.

Rob

PP,

I indulge myself now and again with 'foreign' locomotives I take a fancy to. Usually goods engines, which is why a 28xx,  Q6,  O1, O2, O4, 8F and a G2A are included in my collection.  Hattons have announced they are bringing out more LMS Beyer Garratts, my resistance being at a low ebb I have pre-ordered one . Don't tell SWMBO!

I also rather like 0-6-0s.

Thank you RAF, I assumed (wrongly) it had to be in a train. I suppose the module need not be in a wagon at all but could be concealed under a signalbox or station building.

I was thinking if they decided to flog them as retro-kits like the TTS decoders and in bigger and better flavours that I would hide mine in those point motor huts. One would need to maintain the accoustic integrity of the ‘sound box’.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of the “TTS - Vent Van” is already catching on in particular along the flavour of LC&DR’s alternative. I read today that Gaugemaster has advertised the release of several stand alone modules with varying sounds that are hidden around the layout and the sounds played simply in stand alone mode (DC) or operated by DCC. It looks like they play a standard background sound with other sounds played randomly or on demand.

The idea of the “TTS - Vent Van” is already catching on in particular along the flavour of LC&DR’s alternative. I read today that Gaugemaster has advertised the release of several stand alone modules with varying sounds that are hidden around the layout and the sounds played simply in stand alone mode (DC) or operated by DCC. It looks like they play a standard background sound with other sounds played randomly or on demand.

DCC

Each of the eight sounds in each module can be given a DCC address via the learn button method just like you would an 8-way accessory decoder. Any two sounds will be capable of playing together according to Train-Tech. By giving say a point operation sound the same address as your point motor it will play along when the point fires.

Can anyone think of similar linked associated sounds to actions like that.

DC

As stated earlier by TD John via an on/off switch.

Rob

DCC

Each of the eight sounds in each module can be given a DCC address via the learn button method just like you would an 8-way accessory decoder. Any two sounds will be capable of playing together according to Train-Tech. By giving say a point operation sound the same address as your point motor it will play along when the point fires.

Can anyone think of similar linked associated sounds to actions like that.

DC

As stated earlier by TD John via an on/off switch.

Rob

I find it interesting how something which can be easily achieved with the most basic consumer digital audio technology is being touted by model railway manufacturers as something fresh, new, exciting and technologically advanced. 😀

Nobody has ever 'needed' DCC to have ambient sounds on a layout, it's only necessary when you want sounds onboard the trains.

(@RAF96 To be honest I think anyone would struggle to hear a set of points move when more than a 30 feet away from the real thing, let alone a scale 500+ feet above at the normal viewing/listening angle of a layout. I thought digital sound was supposed to add 'realism'? That to me sounds much more like fantasy novelty, not reality)

@RAF96 To be honest I think anyone would struggle to hear a set of points move when more than a 30 feet away from the real thing, let alone a scale 500+ feet above at the normal viewing/listening angle of a layout. I thought digital sound was supposed to add 'realism'? That to me sounds much more like fantasy novelty, not reality)

No good having a pop at me about it, I didn’t invent it. I’m just reporting the facts as told and clearly visible on their web-sites.

You would be better venting your spleen at the manufacturer about how good/bad  you think their product is.

Rob

Archived