Did Hornby make a smiling S.C. Ruffey model?

I own the R9068 S.C. Ruffey model, which has an angry looking face on it. I have often wondered if Hornby ever made an S.C. Ruffey model with the recognisable smiling grimace that he was seen to have most frequently in the television series. 

It seems strange that Hornby gave him his angry face instead of the smiling grimace, because he had the smiling grimace more or less 99% of the time and he only had the angry face in one scene of the series 4 episode where Oliver pulls S.C. Ruffey apart. 

I’m afraid there are not many who have an avid interest in Thomas on here. There are probably quite a few that have some Thomas trains but don’t take a lot of interest in the different faces. There are a couple of experts who seem to have disappeared at the moment. Be patient somebody will be along  eventually.  😆

There are a couple of experts who seem to have disappeared at the moment.

WTD, one of the two you are probably thinking of, being Peter Machin........"Trainboy" IS Peter M after a 'user name' change. Keep up at the back...... 😉

Two versions of S.C.Ruffey were released. First version from 2003 to 2013 had the angry looking face with darker orange chassis, acting as rust. Second version was released in 2015, exclusive to R9301. This had the same face, with lighter orange rust. Also, this version of S.C.Ruffey has a yellow hinted face. No Hornby S.C.Ruffey has been released with the smiling face.

GNR-Gordon-4

GNR-Gordon-4, 

While the Hornby model of S.C. Ruffey is good, it would have been better if they created an S.C. Ruffey model with the cheeky smiling expression that he had 99% of the time in the telelvision series. 

I could be wrong, but I think some of the Bachmann Thomas models had interchangeable faces. For instance, you could remove the loco's default smiling face and replace it with a sad or angry expression etc. It is a shame Hornby never did that. 

It's expensive to do lots of different facial expressions on models hence why Hornby have not really done this really (Excluding the tired faced Thomas'). S.C.Ruffey's character being the Troublesome Trucks' ringleader, makes sense for him to have a troublesome facial expression. I prefer him with this than the smiling face which does not suit S.C.Ruffey.

GNR-Gordon-4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but if you want a smiling S.C.Ruffey, I'd suggest taking the face off a 1996-2005 Wooden Railway model and putting it on your pre-existing Hornby one. Both faces come off easily, although you might need to take some material off the back of the Wooden Railway face.

The00Engine, 

Thank you. That does seem like a great suggestion, and I do own a Wooden Railway S.C. Ruffey. However, the only problem is that the face is quite battered and faded from being roughly played with by myself and my brother when we were younger. The face is grubby, and the pupils of his eyes have rubbed off over the years. None the less, I could always add new pupils with a black marker pen, and I could give it a clean. 

Also, I love your profile picture. Devious Diesel is amazing.  😆

GNR-Gordon-4, 

I think there is a website called "Tootally Thomas" where you can buy new and second hand wooden Railway Thomas trains, sets and track pieces. However, I don't know if it ships only to the USA, which would make it difficult because I am from the UK. It does seem like a good website, especially since they stock the older wooden trains and sets that are quite rare and expensive now in 2018. 

However, using a wooden Railway face could be a very good idea. I have seen some Hornby tank engines on the internet that have had a face from a wooden Railway or take along train, so as to recreate a new Thomas character. I think I saw a saddleback tank engine with a take-along Harvey the crane engine face added to it. 

Yes, there is a website called Tootally Thomas. I suppose you called try there, for a Wooden Railway S.C.Ruffey face.

Tootally Thomas is UK based. This is the only place that us in the UK, can buy Bachmann Trains’ Thomas HO range, without going to America yourself or shipping it over yourself. The Diesel Works was another competitor for Tootally Thomas, who also sold the Bachmann Thomas HO range, in the UK, but they closed recently, so it appears to be Tootally Thomas only at the moment.

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived