How does this work - Work this one out???

JJ73

The Club Model - as you may or may not know is the Bluebell Railway SECR, H Class, 0-4-4T, No.263 - Era 11, now this is the bit I don't understand about it - Hornby has give it the Era 11 saying that it is the 

11Present Day2014 onHitachi IEP

& Hornby says that the 

DesignerHarry Wainwright

& I check this :- 

so according to the Era System or check thier "Explaining Our Era System" page

3Grouping1923-1947Wainwright H Class

so why have they put it on Era 11 when really it shoud be on the Era 3???

Another consideration regarding the Wainwright 'H' class is that No 263 on the Bluebell is NOT in original condition.  When built it and nine other locomotives of the class were fitted with vertical sides to the coal bunker. The rest of the class had elegant flared bunkers. The reason I believe for the flush sided ones was that trials were being carried out with 'push-pull' suburban trains and the locomotive was to be 'sandwiched' between two sets of carriages. so the fireman was able to look out along the train more easily when starting from stations.

/media/tinymce_upload/22a53033210f42fe76f83abb9e94f246.jpg

Ten H class had vertical side bunkers like this. 263 was like this when built.

265 and 266 were the only ones to be fitted with the control gear. The experiment was not a success, the loco was in the wrong place when it needed to take on water , but the vertical bunkers were retained and the locos carried them for most of the remainder of their careers. Although some sources have suggested that BR had made a start modifying them back to be standard with the remainder of the class, (presumably to increase the coal capacity) they certainly never ran in SE&CR livery with flared bunkers.  When I saw 263 at Robertsbridge  in 1965 (and later at the SE Steam Centre Ashford) flared bunkers were already fitted BUT unlike the normal class members the beading which ran horizontally where the flared part joined the main body of the bunker was absent. (locos with straight  top bunkers didn't have this bead.) The Bluebell however have modified 263 to match the normal class members, with flared bunker and beading.

/media/tinymce_upload/2b00c3c96902fa22165a45bf5d24c580.jpg

The rest of the the class were like this

/media/tinymce_upload/9ce69c45715460f6fe04691c14bf9fd4.jpg

This is how 263 looks now (photo copyright Greg Martin)

Don't forget that the really life locomotive of the Hornby model that is exclusive to Collectors Club members, was on display at Warley 2017. The real life locomotive is in service, so I would say that the information that Hornby have provided is correct. It entered service after being built in Era 3, but it is till being used today, so I do believe it has the right to be in listed as in Era 11.

GNR-Gordon-4

Forget my last comment - I've just found out / relised something...I've just been watching some videos on YT about time travel - so inconclusion the Bluebell Railway SECR, H Class, 0-4-4T, No.263 is a Time Travelling Steam Engine!!!  😉

"the Bluebell Railway SECR, H Class, 0-4-4T, No.263 is a Time Travelling Steam Engine!!"

As are all preserved locomotives and rolling stock.

Someone sent me  the following cutting from the "The Engineer” magazine for 1904 on pages 420 & 421.

/media/tinymce_upload/23355532070956b034975916e14370c3.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6f0c62beb2c453fd02ee47beb33b8f21.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/6edccbe9e1ebc66bc7cfa991e689b191.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3fc31444291fde9afe3e64e6931bcfe6.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/aae0dcc1c6767c6a37d58e76be24f95f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/b5d5171071ec3e8f90afb757f6855dd6.jpg

It is still working, currently on the Yorkshire Dales  Railway. The site is worth a look.

https://electricautocar.co.uk/

Soooooooo what you lot are saying - even though it was built in Era 3 & it being used on a preserved railway today - that is why it is in Era 11 - right???

Yes JJ it really is very simple. If you have an Era 3 layout you shouldn’t run the loco because it didn’t exist in that form. It is modelled as it runs now. Same as you shouldn't run a brunswick green BR Flying Scotsman with smoke deflectors if your layout is 1934 LNER. Simples. 

The era system is there to help people match the locomotive to suitable rolling stock of the period, if they want to of course, some people (many people) are perfectly happy to run anything with anything.

One of the beauties of modelling a heritage railway however is that virtualy anything goes. Go to any preserved railway and you will find a glorious mismash of locos pulling totally unrelated carriages! I have to have a wry smile at 'Wartime Weekends' with 1950s BR liveried Mark 1 carriages dodging back and forth through ' 1940s Occupied France'  Try working that one out with the Era system!

However there are modellers who wish to make a faithful re-creation of a particular period and / or location and really the era system is too crude to be a lot of use to them, and does nothing to help decide what is geographically correct or not.  These people need to conduct their own detailed research for themselves.  (And I do).

And then there are dinosaurs and spacecraft. .......................... 😆

"And then there are dinosaurs and spacecraft. .......................... 😆"

That made me laugh  LC&DR - Yiu never know - there might have been Alians in their Spacecratf which used a big metorite to exstint the Dinosaurs!!! lol ;)

Ok now I'm a little scared/freak out - b/c I just said jokingly "You never know - there might have been Alians in their Spacecratf which used a big metorite to exstint the Dinosaurs!!! lol ;)" now on YT I just seen a video called "What If the Asteroid Never Killed the Dinosaurs?" with a picture of a Dinosaurs on the left & a Alian on the Right!!!"

Going off topic JJ but its your thread so ....

If you want aliens then look at the Bayeaux tapestry (An ancient Wiki).

Angels = spacemen

Trumpet/horn of jerico = sonic gun

shafts of light from the sky = beam me down Scottie.

it goes on and on...

Now they are saying aliens invented god for us and they want him back...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/785536/Aliens-CREATED-GOD-conspiracy-theory-religion

Do they want Theresa May as well.

Rob

Archived