hornby Magazine and Railmaster

Nick_

January 2019 issue of hornby Magazine has a 2 page spread on Railmaster described as the beginning of a series of articles on Railmaster which will be published over the coming months. Most importantly it mentions that they will be looking at two new developments, a Select controller interface and Loco Detect!

I had started to wonder if Hornby had any future interest in Ralimaster, but with this article it now suggests that LD may finally be on the cards!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good, but before we all get too excited, so much water has passed under the pricing bridge, since costs originally mentionned,  including PJ moving home, will it be affordable to poor retired guys like me. Select interface, makes good sense. , gives Fishy more reason to post me his.

Interesting but will it really bare fruit?

Is it an editorial, is it an advert, is it as they have said so many times... 'coming soon'?

I will wait and see what is in the information, but I am so close to giving in and moving to another system. A system that gives us just about everything we have asked for, very adaptable, very customisable, very windows system, but also more control, block protection without all the block electrics, computer driven, signals programmed through the blocks, sensor ready. It gives block control that knows where trains and locos are and prevents them from crashing. It shows route and active parts of routes as well as occupied blocks. It comes at a price but, when you see what it can do in a 30 day trial version, it includes the very latest update, it includes all items mentioned above and more, my decision will be made mid January, Ilike RailMaster and want LocoDetection and Train Control, but I cannot wait forever we are all 5 to 6 years older than we were when we were told LD was being prepared and 'coming soon'

/media/tinymce_upload/bd9188b0045ac4ff36bf1de26047548f.jpg

The article was a bit feeble in my opinion, neither fish nor fowl and all glowing that RM is the best thing since sliced bread and hinting that there is a Select PC interface ‘slated in for 2019’ and later that further outstanding developements are coming ‘the interface and the long awaited LD’. Followed by ‘...more to come in later articles...’ ... we have heard that before. Maybe the 2019 catalogue due in February will have more details.

Meanwhile back to my bench doing real timescale events.

Rob

I have to say, after all this time, that my name is not Thomas but... unless I see it (the product) I will not believe it. 

Remember the price they stated for the starter pack, I reckon it will be nearer £200 if launched in 2019, and that would only be for the starter pack.

Even retired bank managers couldn't afford the ;possible cost for a full layout.

PJ

@PJ 

As far as I can see any system to fully automate a layout will be between expensive and very expensive.

I think the software you have been trialling is pretty expensive in its own right? and then there is all the feedback and control hardware necessary to go with it along with the necessity/complexity of cutting the track to make the blocks.

My hope is that Hornby and/or Hornby Magazine are not going to mention LD in an article, whether it be advert or editorial, unless it is going to now happen some time soon. 

Nick

Select to RM interface - not unless it’s a new Select with USB connection - or - a faint possibility they can do a separate Xpressnet to USB interface gadget. 

Fishy

In that order...

Yes really - No but what if the Select was getting more features - Yes very possible.

Here is a very expensive one Guagemaster did earlier http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DCC55

Rob

Select is interesting, as in my case, have 3 Walkabouts, linked to Elite. So to my simple mind, this would make them show up on RM, when throttles move, as with Elite. yes ?.

John

As you have them Walkabout to the Elite in RM do they not already feedback to the throttle of the loco you are controlling from them. I just broke my Elite (again) so I can’t check that for you.

This new interface if my interpretation of the magazine article is correct is to allow a Select master unit to run RM, which is a step forward.

Rob

Thanks for the kind offer John but I have one arriving in about an hour.

This was an odd Elite failure. It played up at a display day I was at last week refusing to boot up, blank screen and solid green led, so I borrowed the one that Hornby brought for their display. Unfortunately they claimed it back at day’s end.

Then later I thought it had just stalled because I had rebooted it too quickly (known problem) as it was working OK again since. Over the weekend it started with Error on screen when it was booting, but if you pressed ESC it got back to the normal screen. Then after a couple of more days it refused to accept any loco number, so I reported it in as a duff budgie (as we used to say in the RAF about a broken aeroplane) and await the replacement.

Rob

@PJ 

As far as I can see any system to fully automate a layout will be between expensive and very expensive.

I think the software you have been trialling is pretty expensive in its own right? and then there is all the feedback and control hardware necessary to go with it along with the necessity/complexity of cutting the track to make the blocks.

My hope is that Hornby and/or Hornby Magazine are not going to mention LD in an article, whether it be advert or editorial, unless it is going to now happen some time soon. 

Nick

Hi Nick

There is no cutting and creating blocks along with IRJ's and additional wiring, blocks are software controlled.

I agree the software is expensive, my thoughts entirely, but after downloading the trial software I never fail to be impressed by it, the block control is software driven, no hardware. Hardware comes into play when sensors and controllers for sensors are added, but the latest version of the software is already ready for any user who wants to progress and control their engines/trains with a fine degree of accuracy.I have not made my final decision to purchase it yet, I continue in the trail period, but I am more than half way towards it. So far I have only a couple of issues and they are not with the software, the first is it is German, the second is the way Brexit has been negoiated and the state our government has placed us in. Back to LD. 

My hope Nick is exactly the same when it comes to the article in the Hornby Magazine, I do hope it is not a PR job and a load of hot air. We have had six years or Hornby encouraging us, it is coming, it is coming soon and nothing happens. It is no wonder people are looking at other systems, some have moved already. 

@PJ

I'm afraid I'm not aware of the software that you are trialling, so how about naming it.

Surely you can't be condemned for mentioning a competitor's product since Hornby don't have a similar product and so aren't exactly competitors.  Wishful thinking doesn't count.

I think it would be similar to writing favourably about Peco Electrofrog points, Hornby don't have a similar product to that either.

@PJ

I'm afraid I'm not aware of the software that you are trialling, so how about naming it.

Surely you can't be condemned for mentioning a competitor's product since Hornby don't have a similar product and so aren't exactly competitors.  Wishful thinking doesn't count.

I think it would be similar to writing favourably about Peco Electrofrog points, Hornby don't have a similar product to that either.

TrainController

I am trying not to mention it to many times as it has been covered once, thinking about it, possibly else where. That said Hornby needs to be aware of the competition and how this company, Train-Tech and others are moving forward as Hornby appear to be moving backwards. I am sure they are aware somewhat, but no news is not good news, it is just frustrating, six years is a long time, especially after priming us up three years ago to get feedback, followed by LD is coming and coming soon!

My frustration is LD could be a limited market, us older guys are just getting older, (we all are) if they do not launch LD, people will go elsewhere or may no longer be here, it has been said and is true, the younger generation are not interested in model trains, they want games consoles and the like. 

I will have LD one form or another this year, I feel I have waited long enough and I am sure I am not on my own.

Norman, it had been named already on Loco Detection, Availabilty, thread. where i asked for possible hornby costs, based on original pricing. I thought it might be of interest, if   we could come up with a price difference. Might be worth a read. We know that if/ when LD, is released there will be a big difference at todays prices, given the 4/5 year delay.

The beauty of Train-Tech (just round the corner from me and I know the folk there) kit is they think of an idea, develope it and get it onto the market soonest. They use simplistic logic and user friendly interface - look at their single wire linked autochange signal lamps for instance and their tiny multi-row programmable smart screen. Drawback if any - all products are relatively expensive, especially if you say needed 50 or more signals on your reasonable sized layout.

Important lessons to be learnt from them I feel.

Rob

@PJ_model_trains

You are not alone in your frustration. I too will move on if LD is not with us soon and at a reasonable price. I am working on a layout at my Club using an alternative product which is light years ahead of Railmaster (but admitedly is more expensive) which not only provides LD but also allows handheld control from phone/tablet, both of which I want to have before I shuffle off this mortal coil. An updated version of the latter to fix the small issue of it not working on android platforms (but is still for sale I note) was allegedly due from Hornby by mid this year. If the timetable slip with that is anything to go by, LD is still going to be way off.

Archived