SECR, H Class, 0-4-4T, No.263

joe_holmes1

@B.B & LC&DR :- Now that is strange - I wonder why that is happening??? - not only is it annoying but also a bit worrying cos I / we have waited about a year for this Loco, then @ the last min - get probs about card payment!!! - I had to ring up Hornby to double check that it had gone through ok - & it had!!!

UP-UPdate - Got another email today (24/05) saying it will be delivered this Tuesday 28th May!!!  😀 😀 😀

@ LONGGGGG LAST - Smiles all round!!! It has gone from Processing to Dispatched!!!

Yes I have received this Locomotive today and on inspection I am very disappointed with the general finish of the product.The items  on the Locomotive that I am referring to are as follows:-The Box sleeve is creased at both ends as though it has been dropped making it difficult to slide the sleeve.The Locomotive fittings have not been attached correctly and are as follows:-Front vacuum pipe has been glued off the straight,right-hand front lamp holder not straight lying at 45 degree angle, one of the brake pipes under the Locomotive has not been glued straight and is pointing outward away from the drive wheels and there is drive marks on all wheels as though the Locomotive has been track run.The latter would be hard to prove to a future buyer that I had never used the Locomotive.I didn’t look for any other defects as I will be returning this one for a replacement.

I have waited for over 12 months on this Locomotive to arrive and be delivered only to find these problems which should not be there.Is there no quality control at Hornby today or is it purely anything will do and the collectors will accept anything.

Beware!

Mine arrived today and might sound silly but no matter what I do, I cannot get the sleeve off the box. It just will not move, tried a ruler down the sides etc. Tried as much force as I dare as the ends of the box have starting to cave in but it just will not budge. Tried slightly smaller box to distribute the force better but its stuck fast. Apart from tearing the box open which I am not going to do I see no way of getting the loco out. This one will be going back for a replacement

Mine arrived today and might sound silly but no matter what I do, I cannot get the sleeve off the box. It just will not move, tried a ruler down the sides etc. Tried as much force as I dare as the ends of the box have starting to cave in but it just will not budge. Tried slightly smaller box to distribute the force better but its stuck fast. Apart from tearing the box open which I am not going to do I see no way of getting the loco out. This one will be going back for a replacement

I have exactly the same issue and thought it must be me, but thought I'd check before contacting Hornby to send it back. The only thing i did notice is that it feels like there's a slightly swelling at one end as if its slightly too big for the box.

Mine attived yesterday, and I also found the sleeve very tight.

However I used another box which was slightly smaller than the locomotive box. Placed this first on the table, and put the loco box on this. I found that the sleeve slid down much more easily and once I had got two or three centimetres of the inner showing it came away very .easily.

However when I tried to remove the sleeve a second time and it again proved too tight, and this time the smaller box trick failed to work, because the inner box had collapsed and jammed solid!

I have now resorted to cutting the sleeve along the back top fold and glued a paper corner strip inside leaving a gap where I had cut it so the sleeve is now larger on two sides. . I did this at the back so from the front it is less noticable, but it looks terrible at the back. I now have a 2mm gap along the joint, and still the sleeve is tight, but not too tight. 

Pleased to say my loco arrived today, what a beauty it is. My own worry was that there might be something wrong with the intricate livery (had to send my first Hatton's Bluebell back as it had a smudge, which they replaced no problem), but this loco is perfect. Not able to test it on a track until next weekend but sure it runs fine.

Overall I stand by my wish that Hornby had communicated to us all properly about the ongoing delay, but that aside I'm very happy with the loco. Hope everyone gets their's in the coming days. Looking forward to getting my Stepney next!

@Jimyjames we got it eventually! Look forward to your video!

My loco arrived today. I had the same problem as others with removing the slip cover. Having tried the ruler around all four sides, it still would not budge. I then got a very sharp scalpel, and with the precision of a surgeon, slid the blade right throught the joint at one end and very gradually moved it along the length of the box. It came apart with no rips or tears, in fact one side of the joint looks as it was before glueing. I will now re-assemble the slip cover, allowing a little less overlap on the joint and you will never know it had been cut. Loco looks fine by the way. 

What is amazing/amusing, is that the loco is already appearing on ebay, obviously some "collectors" are out to make a quick buck - several in fact - two loco's up for £196 - and one has one left, one sold - so he had two - so much for exclusivity!

Doing a trial fit with the slip cover (not yet glued), there appears to be some resistance between the glossy red surface of the loco box and the plain card inner surface of the slip cover. With the slip cover placed round the red box and just holding it in position and allowing a little more room than as delivered, it is almost impossible to move the inner box from the slip cover. Some more research required.

Just received mine with slight ding to the box corner even though well packaged so must have been dropped prior to shipping. Does anyone who has received the loco know how to get into it? Mine won't slide out of the outer cover. 

Just received mine with slight ding to the box corner even though well packaged so must have been dropped prior to shipping. Does anyone who has received the loco know how to get into it? Mine won't slide out of the outer cover. 

Squeeze the box all the way round between thumb and fingers to make the sides bulge out slightly. This will allow the sleeve to slide away..............HB

/media/tinymce_upload/7f0c3448ec525a9ca878c1c2bcda7764.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Please see earlier entry.I sent my first 0-4-4T back because of poor finish plus damage to the box.I received a replacement this week and could not remove the outer sleeve so I rang the club and was told that there had been a lot of complaints about the tightness of the sleeve but could not offer any advice on how to remove it.I placed my unopened boxed Locomotive in the central heating cupboard overnight with the boiler off and tried to remove the sleeve the next morning and guess what it moved enough the remove it.It would appear that the sleeve cardboard had retained some moisture which had made the sleeve that bit tighter so if you are still having trouble removing the sleeve give this a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received R3631 H class 31265 by post from Hattons and guess what, the sleeve  was so tight on the inner box and would not move, so that I eventually had to split the cardboard along the overlap with a knife and reglued it allowing an extra 2mm to allow the sleeve to slide. Works OK now.

I cannot figure out how the factory got the sleeve on in the first place.

WOW - carefully " eventually had to split the cardboard along the overlap with a knife and reglued it allowing an extra 2mm to allow the sleeve to slide. Works OK now."

now there is deditcation for you!!!