Boy Scout

I promised Ratch I would try to mould a Boy Scout off my old kit.  I had put it off as I will be moving house soon and everything is in boxes ...however the move has been delayed by a few weeks so I pulled everything out again.  I've bought some silicone moulding putty and today I tried preparing a mould.  It seemed to work.... so I went on and prepared moulds of other parts.  Tomorrow I'll buy some resin and see what happens.  I will say this, if it works Ratch is going to have lots of sanding to do to get the parts to fit together!!

/media/tinymce_upload/92e952f6104f13d265babe6f6498983c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/acd71204af8d6a266bb448a61c09679a.jpg

1st Attempt.

The shoes, beret and hat have been moulded using the blue silicone moulds.  However, they have resulted in a pimply finish.  The base was moulded using a plastacine mould.  The finish was much better.  You can see some other arms and sleeves but again they came out of the blue moulds.  The shorts were moulded in a plastacine mould and came out quite well.

Not really happy with the results but it was a first attempt.  

Today I'll try a 2nd batch of moulds using plastacine to see whether I can do better.

/media/tinymce_upload/cd5fc5cb3fd5bb7e202d23975e3e695c.jpg

Hi Ratch,  New moulds seem much better.The detail is there but I think I'll clean them up a bit and prime them before I send them to you.  That way I can check that the various halves when joined together are the same "size" as the original kit.

Today I cast the shorts, (both halves), the front chest and the two halves for the head.  The base I cast yesterday was ok.

6 parts down and only 26 to go!   Tomorrow I'll try to do as many as possible once the system seems to be working.

The "flaws" you see on the chest are not actually flaws ...they are bits of dust that got into the resin.  The are inside and don't affect the surface.

/media/tinymce_upload/d4741b26b19d96d1905f98871e25abec.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/31e8859d6ef20c496d89bb56e484de4d.jpg

I've also started assembling the parts.  I thought I had better do this to compare the parts to the kit parts.  The thing is it is difficult to ensure the two moulded halves of each item are the correct thickness unless you compare to the kit. You can see the progress in the photo I've just posted.  To be honest I am very pleased with the result. so far.  Fingers crossed it all goes together properly!

The white stuff on the model is dust from the sanding operation.  Will wash it away soon.

Ratch, the kit had alternative parts for a beret or the wide brimmed hat.  I'v moulded both.  I can either:

a) glue on the beret,

b) glue on the wide brimmed hat or

c) glue none of them and send you both.  You might opt to drill a short length of rod into the head and drill holes into the hat and beret. That way when you feel like you out change them over.

These are pics of the two options:

/media/tinymce_upload/5ed794217240c9709d0863231a27ff2b.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/542087b6ef7d28951c4fbfa8c0e1ed2b.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't manage to do any work on the Scout today.  I hope I'll find some time tomorrow.  I'm setting myself a target date of next Saturday to complete the moulding / building stage.  Then I'll mail it to Ratch and he can paint it whilst I go back to building mine!!!

Managed to do a bit more today.  Hopefully will get the arms fixed tomorrow.  Then the epaulettes ears and garters.  Then final filling sanding and priming a staff and sheath knife and he'll be ready to go!

/media/tinymce_upload/8fa8e0d50fe4135d98f1a22a0de93e96.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ratch, I've taken it as far as I can take it given everthing that's happening here with my - hopefully soon to happen - house move........So I think I'll send it to you as it is.

I have given it a rough sand down and a coat of primer but the seams need a bit more filling /sanding prior to painting.  It will give you something to do!!  You'll also need to drill out the right hand to pass the stave through and also scratchbuild a sheath knife to fit on the right hand hip.  Other than that it's complete.

I'll package it up and mail it to you...... so send me the address you want me to mail it to (ATF private message).  I'll mail it as soon as you give me the address.

Do post some pictures of it when you've finished it.  I've very curious to see what it looks like once it is complete.

/media/tinymce_upload/363a8f90e1db4c43703f901108b095f4.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5dd43e7d357952c5f724122a185f613a.jpg

Here we go

48205532101_e0a5041b89_z.jpg

48205585352_c4e5f516b7_z.jpg

Obviously I have to decide which headwear to use, and make a staff. When I was in the Scouts (in the late 60s) we wore long trousers and a beret, so the Airfix kit was rather dated when it was issued.

48205531856_a014e718e9_z.jpg

I fashioned a crook from brass rod having drilled a hole through his hand and opted for the hat (the beret is at his feet). Next, filling and sanding.