Tri-ang and Hornby Steam Locomotives - a listing

Anglia998

Over a period of many years, I have created a database listing of Tri-ang and Hornby Steam Locomotives. There are now over 1800 separate entries. The listing is concise and detailed.

Access to this database is via this website - https://traincollectors.co.uk

This is the website of The Train Collectors Society.

Go to TCS Archives. Open TCS Document Folder and click on the folder (image).

Open the second item on the top line.

This information is available to non-members of the T.C.S.

Alternatively go to this URL -  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzc7qxaif1mqfi5/AADg2TXGRjv_gL4UqpfHtZSRa?dl=0&preview=A+Definitive+Guide+To+Triang+and+Hornby+Steam+Locomotives+February+2019.pdf

Hi Anglia998, The list is a credit too you.It must have took a lot of research over the years, well done.

Other lists on the internet I have found are not complete,yours is certainly comprehensive.

I also notice you list some locos that as well as being sold loose also appear in trainsets. As well as the locos which were sold with alternative names and numbers.

A link did pop up earlier on this forum, directing to the list. I started going througth it, checking my collection, then it disappeared off the traincollectors website.

Will it be on the website for a while as there is a lot to look at.

Hello Margate-Richmond

I thought Oh,No There's one I have missed!

But, no, it is there. Look under "3F Jinty-early vers"

If you have a collection of Hornby catalogues, you will find it in No. 18 (1972)

The catalogue Nos. were included in the database as they were needed for reference when I was working on the list. In the intro to the listing you will see a cross reference for the catalogue Nos. to the year. This should be helpful.

I would like to say that the list is COMPLETE. I don't think that I shall ever be able to say that!

The model in the Railway children's set (RS.615) is based on an LMS Jinty (0-6-0T)

The loco. was painted red and given the livery used in the film,i.e. G N & S R.

In 1978 Hornby upgraded the LMS Jinty, so that the original versions became known as "early versions".

These were produced by Triang. In fact one appears in there first catalogue (1955)

The loco in the Railway Children's set is one of these early version Jintys.

R377s can be found on page 16 of my listing - fifth from the top.

There are only six entries shown without a "R" reference. This is because an "R" ref was not issued or I haven't been able to discover it. These entries were, however, sufficiently significate to be included.

Hello New Lad

The inclusion of sets in the listing was a problematic one. Until 1973, Tri-ang and Tri-ang /Hornby had made the job easy for me by always using an existing loco in the range for use in a set. As a  result, I saw no reason to list the sets. From 1973 and the set R.1000, the loco. in the set ceased to be identified by Hornby. As a result,I decided to list all the sets, along with details of the loco. Many set numbers identify the loco. as the loco cannot be found elsewhere, i.e. it only appears in the set. There are many instances of this.

Rest assured that the list will be on the T.C.S. website for the forseeable future. All being well, it will be updated in two years time.

You may have noticed a similar listing available for Skaledale. Please have a look at that. It will be updated shortly.

I am unable to access the T.C.S. website in order to make any changes to the details of the listings.

Well aware of the Railway children jinty's pedigree, but nice for others to see the history  There are lots of unuusal models not in the list yet.  I have a steeple cab in BR Maroon livery with working pantograph and switch for instance which isn't listed in the steeple cab.listings.  There's also a prototype jinty in the Hornby visitor experience in bright red with the number 25552 on the tank sides, it was meant to be for the 1973 re-launch along with the Lord Westwood Hall class and Red "Nellie" with silver dome when the name Tri-ang was dropped and the company came out of recievership and became Hornby Railways.  Sadly the jinty wasn't released but no doubt would have been issued an R. number.

The 1973 Hornby Railways (tri-ang moulding) prototype model can be seen in the middle of the picture.  I had to point out to a member of staff that the production date shown for the version of the  Blue Pullman on display is wrong as it is a last issue model issued 1974.

/media/tinymce_upload/382950d3b9330d8403f43904da073cee.JPG

Good morning Margate-Richmond

Thank you for your posts. You have some rare models in good condition - a credit to you.

My own collection is made up of Stanier pacifics. They are a reminder of my loco-spotting days when they were tasked with hauling the Royal Scot and Midday Scot and other expresses over Shap and Beattock.

I was aware of the steeple cab, but it is not included as my list is for models of steam locomotives only.

Other models not included are Thomas the Tank engine and all derivatives, also all clockwork models.

I think it is inevitable that there will be other models in collections and elsewhere that are not listed - some of them quite rare.

I think the T.C.S. have done a great job in bringing the result of my labours to a much wider audience. This can only be a good thing for all Hornby enthusiasts.

Hi Anglia998,One to add to your list, LMS Holden Tank in LMS livery running number '762'.

This loco was produced in a set R1224 and sold via Lidle Supermarkets.

Plenty of sets on the internet for you to verify.

Also are you listing one off models, which were presented to various organisations.

I have a BB Manston, Golden Arrow livery, mounted, the first version of BB, says: 'Presented by Hornby Hobbies in aid of the Martha Trust and Stone Bay School'.

No date on it but could be a reworked R374.

Hello new lad - welcome

You almost caught me out. R.1224 is very new. It missed the listing that I sent to the T.C.S.

However, it is on my PC, where I have the working database.

Look out for it in two years time, when the listing on the T.C.S. website will be updated!

As you rightly point out, there are bound to be several "one offs" . Where I have found them, I have left them off the list intentionally so that all entries on the list represent models that will have been readily available at some time, either now or in the past. I think that this was the best approach.

There are one or two exceptions e.g. LMS Coronation class "The Stock Exchange"  which was produced to celebrate the floating of Hornby on the Unsecured Share Market in 1986.

Thank you for taking an interest in my endeavours to create something that I thought was badly needed.

The Skaledale listing is due to be updated very soon - have a look.

best wishes  John

Keep up the good work John, the list will grow.  You will also find that in 1972 pink, yellow, blue, green and purple R.52S 3F 0-6-0 "Jintys" were issued to use up surplus plastics, they will gradually migrate to your list over time as you find them.  there is also a mega rare version of the R.050 1974 last issue princess in light BR experimental Blue out there, the last time I saw one was 1974!

Hi Anglia 998,Please donot think I am trying to catch you out, I am going througth your listing to check which items I also have documented / have.

Two more items for your attention, R155, Holden, Colmans, only available in Pick up Goods Set R554. Not sold as a seperate.

Photo of a model I have mentioned before on forum, blue Class D Industrial, Made in Great Britain Chassis, bought unboxed, but in my opinion probably for Staionmaster Set or as a loose Stationmaster loco.Ramsey lists Red, Yellow & Grey versions.I have never seen a photo etc of a grey one.

Other photo is of the Manston.Plaque says 'she is now in a siding at Richborough Power Station undergoing full restoration'.Other forum members may well be able to date the model from that statement.

Up to page 15 of your listing so far.

/media/tinymce_upload/67b24194a552e7b00dcf9613d5ef9966.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/9bd573947f1c86d9ad3cfb02308861d1.JPG

Possibly a one off?

Unless anyone knows of any more....

1959 issue R.50 Black Princess.

Name: Princess Victoria.

Running number: 46201

That is the number for Princess Elizabeth.

So the older, pre 1959, printing of the number and lining panel has been used, with the new, from 1959, name.

This loco came as part of a set, with two coaches, etc.

There are other mis matched names and numbers known....

I wonder how many of these survive?

I didn't notice the difference at first, only later did it strike home!

Hello new lad

I can see that you are scouring my list. At page 15, you have a long way to go!

Please don't forget the notes at the beginning - they can be very helpful.

I explained that I deliberately excluded one-offs, but there are a few.

Black five 45010 in late BR livery (weathered) featured in a Sherlock holmes competition - no date, no "R" ref.

My list now stands at 1,830, with the addition of the Sovereign Packs and Signature Sets. These Packs and Sets use existing locos.

R.554 is an example of a set where an "R" ref was given to a loco, which was not available separately.

This practice ceased with Catalogue No.42 (1996). Thereafter the only way to positively identify the loco. in a set was by the "R" ref of the set. This is not a very satisfactory way of doing things as epecially when the set is the only source of the loco.An exampleof this is Set R.1118. The Loco. is King Arthur 797 Sir Blamor de Ganis. The set was available mail order only and so did not appear in any catalogue,thus making it possible for a collector to miss it entirely.

Hello Sarah Its good to have you on board.

There were many versions of R50, The Black Princess. The first appeared in 1950 and had roller pick-ups.

In Volume 1 of the Story of Rovex, Pat Hammond writes, and I quote "The Australian model was first advertised in the 1960/61 Australian catalogue but the picture used was of the British version fitted with Walschaerts valve gear (the catalogue was put together in Britain). In the 1962/63 catalogue the later version of the Australian black Princess was Illustrated. This had no valve gear but a modified nameplate which had been smoothed off and heat ptinted with either "Princess Elizabeth" or "Princess Victoria", the number in each case being "46201"

If you are planning a trip to Australia, you may find some more of your very rare model ,Sarah

That's interesting.

I know that some of the tools for making loco bodies, that were sent to Australia and New Zealand were probably tested at Margate before being shipped out, as we have some of the R.56 4-6-4 "Baltic" tank locos with "made in New Zealand" mainly scratched off the moulding, and a "Tri-ang made in England" transfer attached inside the rear of the body....

The Princess nameplate had the lettering removed around 1958 I believe, in readiness for the other name options, including "The Princess Royal", no. 46200. This was released as R.258, in BR lined maroon livery, early examples, pre 1961, having red/ maroon cylinder blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

A Great Reference List for looking up steam locomotive rolling stock and it is a credit to you for all your hard work. I, myself use the Ramsay's British Model Trains Catalogue (RBMT) compiled by Pat Hammond and edited by Phil Parker, which is published by BRM (British Railway Modeller). This is currently (as the date of post) on its 9th Edition in a two-volume set Vol 1 A-G and Vol 2 H-Z. It Covers many manufacturers past and present and also caters for and as a price guide too at the time of printing towards there current value in say an auction. I have purchased this catalogue since its first issue and use it to update my own rolling stock listings if I am missing any details. I try to keep it simple with columns for the year of release, wheel arrangements, class, loco description, company, loco #, and cat # it is issued under by the manufacturers, e.g.

2014   4-6-2   A4 (LE-TGG)   Dwight D Eisenhower   BR   60008   R3255

2004   Bo-Bo   170/2   DMU 2 Car Turbostar   Anglia   170271   32-453

2011   Co-Co   D16/1  Brunswick Green   BR   10001   10001HAP

2019   1CoCo1   D16/2   Atlantic Coast Express LE   BR   10203   K2703A 

2019   Bo-Bo   24   Experiment (ex 24091)   BR RTC   97201   SLW2406 

The same basic layout of spaced columned details goes into my other list of wagons and coaches, using the same abbreviations for limited editions (LE), weathered (W), sets like The Great Gathering/Goodbye (TGG), and train sets (TS) etc. As for items on pre-order they are highlighted on my listings in a Red Font liked the 2019 Class 24 SLW2406 (as above) from Suttons Locomotive Works would be typed onto the list. Any missing info in the fields is left blank until the details are found out, especially for purchased unboxed items. That is when the RBMT catalogue comes in handy for me to update my own private collection of rolling stock from Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Suttons Locomotive Works, Rail Exclusives, Kernow, Graham Farish, Model Power and Murphys Models etc.