Hornby Family Fun Project

dauntless

It just seems rather strange then that it is advertised full page in the latest (current) edition of MR magazine yet there are no details on the Hornby website. The advert must cost quite a bit to put in the magazine - which is wasted if potential customers go to the website and find nothing.

I wondered if it was intended to capitalise on interest generated by the upcoming Great Model Railway Challenege programme starting on TV this Friday?

• 2 weeks later...

Just recieved the email with additional packs for the fun project, can someone please explain why a BR (SR) late crest Schools Loco has been teamed up with 2x 4 wheel coaches in SR olive livery

Also why does the other set have a private owned 10t open wagon with 2 x 20t BR coke wagons with a modern diesel shunter..

The sets themselves are great but the loco and rolling stock choice is poor

Come on Hornby use someone with some train era knowlage when putting these sets together please. 

Also, probably a case of bundling together products that are still sitting unsold on shelves. These are not aimed at 'rivet counters' who would know the difference between wagon types and liveries.

Thats right Tony,put people off,as allready mentioned,its for the family,im sure they dont care what is pulling what,surely its about getting more people in to the hobby,and not just for so called rivett counters,wealthy pensioners,or anyody else,this hobby is in my opinion  allready getting elitised,the more people the better for me,now,i am preparing myself to be shot down on here yet again

I am not trying to put anyone off buying any Hornby product,I am was trying to be consistant with the off topic thread "whats wrong with Hornby" where several other members agreed that putting private owner wagons which had dissappeared in real life in the early 1940's in a set with a deisel locomotive was not period correct. The same for the late crest schools loco and SR olive green 4 wheel coaches.

I am happy running under scale and size Triang, Lilliput, Wrenn, Triang Hornby, Hornby (Margate) Mainline, Lima, Airfix and modern Hornby Locos and rolling stock on the samr layout other's would say scrap three quarters of my collection because it is out of scale and not the correct size. But I do run the loco with the correct livery coaching stock and period correct goods wagons and guards van.. 

I would gladly buy the new sets but would have to replace both the private owners wagon with another coke wagon of the same or simular livery and would replace the 2 x 4 wheel coaches with a Bullied Brake coach in BR Green or the loco with a SR liveried Schools loco.