Moving House

Ratch

Very Carefully!!

But on a serious note, I am also moving house soon, and I have packed my collection in boxes that are bigger than the model, filled the bottom of the box with shredded newspaper, put the model in, then packed the rest of the box with more shredded newsprint. The box has then been covered in 'Fragile' stickers, and it will be travelling in the boot of my car, not in the removal van.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on how far your moving and whether someone else is going to handle box.

You need a box thats big enough to fit the model easily and protect the kit all over with bubble wrap, filling any voids with same, but dont pack it to tight allow a little movement, the undercarriage should not be touching the sides of the box, any loose parts should be packed separately in the same box.

Another option is to use profiled styrofoam blocks to support the model in the box using rubber bands if necesary to firmly hold it in place, protect the model against rubbing where it makes contact with the styrofoam and rubber.

Make sure you mark it "This way up Fragile".

Good Luck 😉

Good luck with the move... it's stressful as i know from moving 3 times in 6 years with a variety of prized kits to protect. Main thing is to make sure you are the only one to handle the Typhoon, and preferably ask someone you trust to look after it over your move period. I had a number of aircraft, ships & vehicles and all survived intact by arranging them in a large shallow box so that they weren't touching. For the aircraft I cut thin strips of the thin flexible cereal box cardboard and loosely placed them over the wings front to back sellotaping each end very securely to the bottom of the box, and put another strip of the cardboard over the rear fuselage. Keeping the cardboard away from delicate parts like pitot tubes, aerials etc will keep them safe during transit where a little movement won't damage the model and don't fasten the strips too tightly as it'll put pressure on the undercarriage which may then break during the unavoidable bumps on a car journey. . Ships were ok with a strip of the cardboard across the front and back and vehicles actually ok not being fastened down but lined up closely together covered with those small expanded polystyrene packing chips that you get for, well, packing things! . I also put a load of these loosely over and around the kits. I put the lid on the box, marked it 'fragile kits, don't shake about' and taped the top shut. Suggest main thing is packing the Typhoon well in advance of your move,  getting it looked after while you move, and only fetching it back when you have got a semblance of order in up your new house. .. preferably in a room away from all the other boxes of stuff  which invariably get roughly shifted about. Hope useful and good luck ! 

A few years back i sent over 40 airfix model aircraft including some heli's to a chap near London (from Scotland), i packed them in three BIG TV boxes, when tellies came in humungous boxes, i laid 3 inches of poly beads in the bottom of the box and then a layer of cardboard and covering that with more poly beads, i set the aircraft (all with lowered u/c into the poly beads and covered them over well before another layer of cardboard went on top and i just repeated the proces until the box was suitably full. I did three big boxes like that and sent them to londong via the Post Office; they all arrived safely with not one aircraft broken or damaged!

For helis i removed the rotors and put them flat on a sheet of car, another sheet of card and the whole lot in a padded envelope, each envelope contained the rotors for each heli.

I know that when i get built models online mainly die cast, they are suspended in plastic lined boxes and are well protected from movement, u/c was in the same box but not on the model; i can appreciate that your model may have fixed uc and would suggest a GOOD sized box with upto about 8inches depth of poly beads, set the model onto the beads, nestle it in gently making sure its well supported at all points, protect the prop the best you can and then cover the model with a load more beads to fill it comfortably with NO crushing down, and seal the box.

I've just moved house and had to move my whole collection. However in my case I was only moving about 2 miles so I could easily transport the models myself. In the case of the ships (waterline) I traced out their waterlines onto card then made cutouts. I glued strips of balsa underneath the card to lift it up about a centimetre. I then placed the card in a large box and placed the ships into their respective cutouts.  They this couldn't move about. It worked well for me but it might not work if you are travelling far.

Very Carefully!!

But on a serious note, I am also moving house soon, and I have packed my collection in boxes that are bigger than the model, filled the bottom of the box with shredded newspaper, put the model in, then packed the rest of the box with more shredded newsprint. The box has then been covered in 'Fragile' stickers, and it will be travelling in the boot of my car, not in the removal van.

Yes, and on top of everything else; i.e. nothing on top of them! No crushing allowed!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your helpful replies. The model will be moved next week! I bought a great big cardboard box full of tiny polystyrene chips, just gonna rest it in those. 95 mile trip, but it will be on my front seat where I can keep my arm around it for comfort.

Yes I know those little chips will stick all over it as if they were magnitized, but I can live with that.... good excuse for giving it a dusting.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Very Carefully!!

But on a serious note, I am also moving house soon, and I have packed my collection in boxes that are bigger than the model, filled the bottom of the box with shredded newspaper, put the model in rachat de crédit surendettement, then packed the rest of the box with more shredded newsprint. The box has then been covered in 'Fragile' stickers, and it will be travelling in the boot of my car, not in the removal van.

It's really a fortress I think. In any case, you can do it in terms of camouflage

• 4 years later...

As has been said, the key is how far you’re moving. 
If I were you, I would make a special trip with the kit sitting on the back seat on a big bed of bubble wrap. Then put it in the new house where no one will go immediately. 

I don't know how this topic has become attributed to me. I haven't moved house since 1978 and have no intention of doing so.

But there is useful advice for anyone contemplating moving.

• Ratch locked this topic